How to fix a vibrating / shaking / crazy P2V+ camera gimbal

Re: How to fix a vibrating / shaking / crazy P2V+ camera gim

Ah that explains. Sorry. I'm going back to my screwdriver. :)

dezunka
What is involved in pulling the camera body off of the shaft as shown in your last photo above? I may need to do that to get at the end of the roll axis shaft for pinning or whatever if the penetrating loctite isn't the final fix.

I can report that I have found this problem on my PV+ as well.

npalen - There are two screws on a cover that covers the ribbon between the camera and the motor. Remove those screws and remove the cover. The camera is mounted to the shaft with one screw that goes through the pin coming from the motor. Basically, three screws. I would use JB Weld. Just my opinion.

Pepijn1908 - I swear!! If DJI would have only made the pin coming from that motor 5 mm longer and put threads on the end of it and a lock nut we wouldn't be having these problems. And everyone else who has a camera that is 5 degrees off on the horizon could loosen the lock nut, rotate the camera and tighten it back down. I should mention that my original camera was not level with the horizon nor is the replacement camera. And if anyone else has a camera that is more then a couple of degrees off the horizon then their camera has probably rotated on this pin as well. Poorly engineered!

I fully agree with you there.. I hope that they will redesign this for future P2V+ owners... Although I doubt it..

dezunka--Thanks for your help!
I notice that the ribbon cable winding around the shaft must cover the screw as I am not able to see it. I probably need to unplug the super tiny ribbon cable connector from the board on the back of the camera to unwind the ribbon to allow access to the screw? I do have the cover removed as you suggested.
Again, I appreciate your help.

Okay, mine just did a light crash and I think the gimbal motor took a hit - the one you are talking about. It controls horizontal roll- right behind the camera. It still seems to work - partially. It's a bit slow and doesn't quite hold the horizon when tilted. Looks like something to do with the potentiometers not tracking properly. Any ideas on fixing it? Fast side to side motion it seems to respond - and then wobble a little at the end. Slow side to side it is quite unresponsive.

The potentiometer is probably working correctly but the motor rotates the silver pin that protrudes and fits flush through the aluminum housing that holds the camera. (See my picture). The pin is press fit through the aluminum housing. There are no "teeth" on the pin - it appears to be a friction fit. That's the only thing holding the camera in place. If the camera takes a hit, the camera housing can rotate on the pin. This would cause your camera to be "off horizon" when you power it back on. If it were my camera, I would remove the three screws from the back of the motor and make sure that the half moon pin is oriented correctly (flat portion of the half moon on the top and level with the horizon). Then (me personally) ... I would put a dab of JB Weld on the silver pin on the side nearest the camera (where the arrow is pointing on my picture) and let it dry for 24 hours. As long as the silver pin is locked in place with the aluminum housing, the camera will rotate when the motor activates based on the potentiometer.

Attachments

• motor4.jpg
    motor4.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 1,385

I took those off. The half moon pin is level with the camera. So are you saying to forcibly pull the camera off the hub to put the JB Weld on it? I haven't taken the camera off yet.

npalen - my ribbon cable wasn't wrapped around the shaft. It was folded back on itself and tucked into the cover. I just moved it enough to get to the screw. Be careful pulling out the ribbon cable from the motor. It actually has a very small lever that holds it in place. You really need to unscrew the motor and pull the circuit board away from the housing to properly remove the ribbon cable. You need to lift the lever to release the cable and you need to press the lever back down once you reinsert the ribbon cable. (The lever is shown with the red arrow in my photo).

Attachments

• motor7.jpg
    motor7.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 1,488
  • motor6.jpg
    motor6.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 1,411
  • motor5.jpg
    motor5.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 1,438

I would NOT forcibly pull the camera away from the motor if it is not completely loose. When mine took a hit, the motor assembly was loose and only the magnets were holding it together. Mine came apart easily and I put the JB Weld on the inside of the housing at the pin and the put it back together and clamped it. If yours is still together but getting loose I would just put JB Weld on the outside and cover the pin and aluminum housing with a little dab so that it will lock it in place. Just a little dab where my arrow is pointing in the picture on my previous post.

I might add - if the half moon pin is level with the horizon, your camera should be level with the horizon as well. In other words - if the pin is level with the horizon but your camera is NOT level with the horizon then your camera has already turned slightly on the pin. Make sure that you get the camera level with the pin before gluing anything!! When the Phantom powers up, the potentiometer/gimbal motor levels the pin with the horizon so if your camera is not level with the pin, your camera will not be level with the horizon when you fly. I hope this makes sense!!

If you need to level your camera with the pin you can remove the three screws from the back of the motor, carefully pull the circuit board away and you can get a pair of needle nose pliers and hold the pin level while rotating your camera on the pin until its level.

I appreciate your input.It levels up when powered on. It just is lethargic in responding to some of the side to side movement. It is like it wants to work but is slow in getting at it. It doesn't jitter or shake. It runs smooth - but not properly.

I recalibrated it with the Assistant software, but that did not seem to help.

dezunka said:
npalen - my ribbon cable wasn't wrapped around the shaft. It was folded back on itself and tucked into the cover. I just moved it enough to get to the screw. Be careful pulling out the ribbon cable from the motor. It actually has a very small lever that holds it in place. You really need to unscrew the motor and pull the circuit board away from the housing to properly remove the ribbon cable. You need to lift the lever to release the cable and you need to press the lever back down once you reinsert the ribbon cable. (The lever is shown with the red arrow in my photo).

Not sure what you mean by "unscrew the motor". Can you clarify that for me?

npalen,
I pretty sure he means the three screws holding the case on the back of the motor cover as shown in the photos on page 3 of the topic. Then you carefully pull back the circuit board to get to the ribbon cable.

parbar is correct, however if you don't need to pull out the ribbon cables then I would leave them alone!!! As yotamkasam showed in his photograph, you can use a small clamp to hold the motor/camera assembly together once you put a bonding solution on it. If you don't have a clamp like he has pictured you can pick the clamp up in the USA at Northern Tools and Equipment for $2.99.

Andrew - I'm sure that would work. You only need a tiny spot of glue maybe the size of a pin head. If you use too much glue or a liquid glue like Super Glue you run the risk of the whole motor getting ruined.

I managed to pick up some JB Weld. I definitely need to open it up and dab some on the inside as my casing comes completely off the shaft. Wish me luck.

In my case tightening this
P2_V.jpg
screw fixed the gimbal completely.

Also overtightening it doesnt help and the camera needs to be positioned well as if it is twisted one way or another even tiny bit or pushed in too much it wont work.
Hope this will help.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues