How to fight the fragile gimbal/cam?

phantomguy said:
Mal_PV2_Ireland said:
The gimbal and camera dont need to be hit at all, they can be ripped apart by the force of the sudden stop.

100% correct. And the forces needed to do this are MUCH less than the forces needed to rip apart/severely damage the non + camera

30 seconds into my first pv2 flight I smashed into a tree at around 30mph, camera went 20ft one way battery went 8 ft the other way, 2 props smashed, I **** myself. 2 mins later she was reassembled and back in the air flying with zero problems, try that with a + and let me know how you get on ;)

borgqueenx said:
Mal_PV2_Ireland said:
You doubt the gimbal will suffer damage if it crashes on it's side? :) :) :) :)
http://vimeo.com/94710125
That's really really really painful....

I know I nearly cried for the guy, but unfortunately, and I know I shouldnt have, I laughed my *** off when I saw it first. I dont think I would have been able to post the video

Mal_PV2_Ireland said:
borgqueenx said:
Mal_PV2_Ireland said:

I know I nearly cried for the guy, but unfortunately, and I know I shouldnt have, I laughed my *** off when I saw it first. I dont think I would have been able to post the video
I agree...don't think i would have posted it either....Its very easy to get distracted while flying esp if your a newbie..OR OLD like me!! lol

Then again he probably didnt post it, I'd say it was his buddy who took the footage. With friends like that........ ;)

Moving back on topic I think I have found the perfect shock absorbing material. Laytex makeup sponges, they are a bit like memory foam only with extra rebound. Lots on ebay cheap but its finding the right size which is difficult, they could also act as light weight extenders if you get thick enough ones.

D_Tshudy said:
borgqueenx said:
Mal_PV2_Ireland said:

An airball and a crashed copter. ******* flying the thing like a foamy. Made me laugh out loud.

WOW, not the best flying there and not sure what exactly they were trying to do. LOL the guy shooting the basketballs reaction was great.

I have a gimbal that went haywire after a crash, flicks frenetically in all directions when turned on. As i bought i new one, i have the old one to tinker with.. And yes.. It comes off.. Easily! I am considering to glue the new one.. This is definitely a weak spot. And i have no idea how the gimbal will react if you experience this and just props the thing back together (assuming the ribbon is ok.) I guess the gimball will need some re-alignment..? Guess i would need some hard-core glue..

NotYourName said:
I have a gimbal that went haywire after a crash, flicks frenetically in all directions when turned on. As i bought i new one, i have the old one to tinker with.. And yes.. It comes off.. Easily! I am considering to glue the new one.. This is definitely a weak spot. And i have no idea how the gimbal will react if you experience this and just props the thing back together (assuming the ribbon is ok.) I guess the gimball will need some re-alignment..? Guess i would need some hard-core glue..

Can you guys say where you would glue? If you would just glue the ribbon cable to the aluminium or plasic or whatever it is.......it will help zero percent. It will just snap off from the inside of the camera.

The "hub" in center of the red circle could need some sort of support (Glue?) so the motor don`t pop open..

Attachments

• gimbal.jpg
    gimbal.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 377
I don't know what this is worth...but, I added about 3 inches of fiberglass rod to the interior of each leg. Hopefully, the picture will give you the idea. I also added about 10 inches of fiberglass rod to each landing gear just to give me more base to land on. The landings are quite soft and if we hit hard...well, I hope it helps! I would love to have your thoughts on all of this. Love to "tinker"...maybe too much!

Attachments

• Phantom Gear.jpg
    Phantom Gear.jpg
    575.9 KB · Views: 342
MikesTooLz said:
i'm afraid your attempts to try and "protect" the gimbal will be futile.
Ah so you already tried everything that was possible?
Darn....we can give up then!

Oh **** you didnt? Ok lets continue our tries :)

@reynoldsyoung, i doubt this will work. Upon impact the landing gear bends easily....followed by hitting the gimbal. We need to reinforce the landing gear by connecting them together i think, or maybe glue some parts on the gimbal connection.

Orrrrrr, maybe we are able to cut the connector..strip the ends and put a molex connector on it. Will be a really hard-to-make mod though.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik