How to extend range on P3S

Reaction score
I have a stock p3s and I only get sub 2000ft of range. I've saw ridiculous numbers out of stock units on here. I'm now wondering if I'm doing something wrong in settings or just need to upgrade equipment to help with range. Any help is well appreciated. Thank you!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

2000 feet sounds about right for a stock p3s, but it really depends where you are flying. I have read some get over a mile stock in completely empty fields. A neighborhood or any populated area is going to give you worse results since any other wifi networks, power lines, and trees can interfere.
If you're not happy, plenty of other posts on here have already discussed antenna mods to fit every persons needs and budget.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Try making a homemade windsurfer (How to build your own Windsurfer Antenna) and do the Magic Power mod (How to Update Tx-Power with Magic Power v5.0). The windsurfer will help with extending the control signal and the Magic Power mod will help extend the video signal. I just went 9733 ft with this setup. It also depends greatly on where you are flying. If you fly in a congested area with lots of wifi signals in the area, that will cut down on your range. I fly in a rural area and am getting great range. I got almost a mile bone stock before I turned around. Here is the thread with my max distance (New personal distance best with P3S) and here is the thread where I went almost a mile bone stock ( Did a range test today). You can also do the ARGtek mod and DBS mod but I'm trying to go for free or very little cost mods right now as I'm not ready to mod the controller with those yet. Hope this helps.

It's all dependent on the area where you fly, your PS3 is dependent on a wifi and electrical interference free area coupled with your aiming technique. You can try using a simple windsurfer which I have used to great effect before you drop into the world of aftermarket antennas. They cost about $15 and concentrate your signal forward more so than the omnidirectional standard set up. Maybe try that to see if you are happy with that set up and work your way up. I had success with this and using height and a good aiming technique had me out to 1800 mtrs with a good signal, much better results from many on this forum, but good enough for me. You can adjust your channel in the settings to find an interference free channel and reduce your bitrate transmission when filming to give you less grief and better video strength. Trial and error.

I max which is 19??" came on a open strip job approximately 3/4-1 mile from the closest residence and power lines. I will try testing with different channels. I'm mainly wondering if I am completely off the page as far as range or close

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Mine only got 1500' or so in city. With Amazon windsurfer it doubled plus some. Like others have said so much interferes. WiFi signals to cell towers and poorly shielded power lines. The windsurfer is the best $15 you will spend.

Sent from my SM-G935V using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4