How to downgrade firmware from 3.14? Lost live preview...

Reaction score
Confusing problem here. After not using the Phantom for many months I decided to order a new remote with the gimbal dial, and get back into the hobby. After receiving the remote I upgraded all the firmware, and the gimbal dial works great. Unfortunately, I can't live preview at all. I tried two Samsung cell phones (Note 2 and Note 4) and a tablet, and can't get live preview on any of the three. I tried all preview quality choices and that didn't work either. Read all the posts on the possible lose ribbon connection and the connections appear to be firmly seated. I didn't try the live preview before upgrading the firmware, so I'm wondering if the upgrade killed the live preview.

All functions work on the app, including being able to take video and stills. I can also preview what was already recorded. The lights in the upper right all look good, and the SD card is blue (I tried 3 different SD cards).
DJI Phantom 1_08 screen shot.jpg

At this point, as far as I can see it's one of two things. The firmware is the problem, or a bad wi-fi module. The easiest (and cheapest) thing to try is to downgrade the firmware, but I can't seem to get it off 3.14. I loaded 1.08 from the Droneslinger site, and I'm stuck on the screen shown in the photo. Any suggestions on downgrading?

image.jpg I don't see the line item. ZEN IMU which is the gimbel and camera. Check the three cables at the gimbel and be sure they are plugged I. Tight and have no loose pins. Neatly you may have to lift the shell and check the cable plugged into the wireless transmitter. In particular the video feed cable. Wiggle it shake it and push in on it. Sometimes gets a little oxidation on it. Wiggling makes good contact. Then see if you get video back.

Last edited:
View attachment 28436 I don't see the line item. ZEN IMU which is the gimbel and camera. Check the three cables at the gimbel and be sure they are plugged I. Tight and have no loose pins. Neatly you may have to lift the shell and check the cable plugged into the wireless transmitter. In particular the video feed cable. Wiggle it shake it and push in on it. Sometimes gets a little oxidation on it. Wiggling makes good contact. Then see if you get video back.
I don't know why that didn't show up on the screen. I tried unplugging and re-inserting, but still no dice. Made another screenshot of the firmware, and it's there now. From what I've read it sounds like the wifi module is toast. I went ahead and ordered another and hopefully that will be the fix. Remember, I get all functions, including playback from what was recorded, just no live preview. I called a repair facility and they agreed it's probably the wifi module, for what that's worth.

Attachments

• DJI Phantom 1_08 screen shot_2.jpg
    DJI Phantom 1_08 screen shot_2.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 689
Reactions: FredK
one way you can solve the "downgrading" is getting a NAZA (flight controller) with non upgraded FW on it.
i have plenty 3.08's or early if you guys need them

Do a full hard firmware reset:

Does anyone recall the XBOX 360 3RROD (3 red rings of death)?
The first gen xbox 360 was poorly built using cheap thermal paste and a flimsy x-clamp. The xbox would run hot and cool really quickly causing the board to warp and lift off the cooling. If the Xbox was cold or you didn't play it for a while, the board would excessively warp and you would get the Red Rings of Death. This probably happened in the OP's case.

The first gen xbox 360 was poorly built using cheap thermal paste and a flimsy x-clamp. The xbox would run hot and cool really quickly causing the board to warp and lift off the cooling. If the Xbox was cold or you didn't play it for a while, the board would excessively warp and you would get the Red Rings of Death. This probably happened in the OP's case.
Yes, I already tried that. Kept on prompting to load the latest firmware. A while back I was able to bounce back and forth on different versions, but I think DJI did something to their servers preventing this. I used the 1.08 assistant, but it loaded the latest firmware, even with that version assistant. Very confusing stuff.

Yes, I already tried that. Kept on prompting to load the latest firmware. A while back I was able to bounce back and forth on different versions, but I think DJI did something to their servers preventing this. I used the 1.08 assistant, but it loaded the latest firmware, even with that version assistant. Very confusing stuff.
Re download the Phantom assist from droneslinger site. Then disconnect from the internet - turn off wifi and pull out Ethernet cable. This will stop it from seeking the latest firmware. Install the Phantom Assist. And make sure you are running the right Phantom assist - uninstall all traces of other versions. Each Phantom Assist will carry its own firmware. Eg 3.04 will carry only 3.0 firmware and 3.08 will carry only 3.8 firmware (im guessing the firmware versions).

Re download the Phantom assist from droneslinger site. Then disconnect from the internet - turn off wifi and pull out Ethernet cable. This will stop it from seeking the latest firmware. Install the Phantom Assist. And make sure you are running the right Phantom assist - uninstall all traces of other versions. Each Phantom Assist will carry its own firmware. Eg 3.04 will carry only 3.0 firmware and 3.08 will carry only 3.8 firmware (im guessing the firmware versions).
Yes, it was the droneslinger version of 1.08 that I tried. I'll give it a try with disconnecting from the Net. I'm pretty sure I'll be stuck on the first welcome screen, but I'll give it a try. The new wifi module is still en route, so I'll put the module back together and give it a try. I took it apart to see how much thermal paste was used. Not much at all. When I put this thing back together I'm adding an aluminum heatsink to the top of the wifi module. Should help a little.

I have all the version on my PC, download folder, guess u can delete your assistant and install the version U want from there, hope it works that my plan B just in case

Missed your post. Pretty funny, i went through that with my son's xbox. Even baked the board in the oven. Worked for a short time but wasn't a permanent fix. My wifi module arrived, but of course I'm out of town and can't install until tomorrow night.

OK, all is well again. I installed the new wifi module and that brought everything back. I won't mess with installing any earlier versions of the firmware. I need a version that will support the new gimbal dial on the new remote, so I'm limited to recent releases. Of course, after installing the module it wasn't seeing the camera. I forgot the blue check-mark in the upper right corner of the binding screen. I read others mention it, but didn't realize exactly where it was. Took a little head scratching to figure it out.

Can I download that older software onto my mac OS X?

Last edited:
Danny did you get the telemetry and the video OSD working?

Danny did you get the telemetry and the video OSD working?
Everything is working perfectly with the new wifi module. I don't know whether the firmware upgrade killed the original module, the fact that it was under-cooled, the booster app I use, or the fact that my Phantom has crash landed in a lake 5'xs! Maybe a combination of all the above.

BTW, I just mentioned in another thread, I'm loving the new remote. The new gimbal dial makes flying a whole lot more fun, and videos look a lot more professional. A great upgrade, especially considering you get some other perks, besides the gimbal dial.

Be careful with booster apps. They can send more power to the unit increasing its output which increases its heat. As noted they were already at the top of the level needing additional cooling. With that increases could shorten their life. No real way to tell what killed the old one!

You can't downgrade any more the software of the flight controller.DJI servers doesn't support any more the older firmwares but only the latest one 3.14 which is crap.I accidentally upgrade my phantoms 2 flight controller from 1.08 to 3.14 and i think i destroy the flight controller.

You think landing in a lake may have done it ?
I think the Phantom is rated for 4 water landings, and after exceeding that the wifi module could take no more....LOL!

Since everything is working fine, I'll keep the newest firmware. One downside, is that I can't make an emergency descent. At the lake, you will occasionally have seaplanes very low sneak up on you. I always have to keep that in mind while flying.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4