how to do the storage on battery

Reaction score
Flying also with rc hely is part of my usual "end of the day todo" to put all batteries to storage (3.8v per cell)
if I know that will not use them for a couple of weeks ...

I'm wondering how this can be done on PV batteries :roll:
or maybe DJI just don't let us do the storage so the lipo will last less and their bank account will raise more :evil:

If I was not going to fly for a long time (say over a month) then I would fly my Vision for the last time, then I would charge the batteries until I had 2 green lights on the fuel guage (if you want to be precise youcould plug into the Assist software and check voltages...). This would put them into the same condition they arrive shipped from DJI, which I assume is what they should be for long-term storage.

Not that I can envisage not flying for a month... need to squeeze all the value out of those precious 129euro lipos. Sweat the assets, I say. ;)

Pull_Up said:
Not that I can envisage not flying for a month... need to squeeze all the value out of those precious 129euro lipos. Sweat the assets, I say. ;)
good point :mrgreen:

anyway, in my opinion this "manual" storage is not so user-friendly :roll:

Other option then is to take your fully charged battery, fly the Vision for a bit (might as well enjoy it!) until you think it is close to, but over, the voltage you want.

Then plug the Vision into the Assistant software and watch the voltages whilst you run the Vision in a "hover" on the bench (props off, of course!).

I still say just keep on flying, though! :D

I'm gonna try to put the lipo in storage using a lipo charger to draw current from the battery main contacts ;)
will report back soon

in case someone see some smoke coming from Venice, please call firemans :mrgreen:

dkr77573 said:
http://uterc.org/files/LipoStorageTips.pdf
thank you for the link but I'm not a newbie in rc scene
angel.gif

yesterday I prepared a small adapter to be able to connect my hyperion charger and try to discharge the PV battery

click to zoom

the operation was a success :mrgreen:
using the PB discharge program on the hyperion, I was able to put a load of 7Amps to lower the charge of the battery to around 50-60%

click to zoom

LOL :lol:

but you know, sometime I charge some batteries, then I go to flycamp and can happen that I loose time talking with friends and fixing their hely (I'm too kind :roll: )

so I return home with some charged lipo and I know is better to put them in storage if I'm not sure to use them in a week or two ... unfortunately my free time is little and not always predictable :(

I know, I'm only playing with you. If you are entering a period of uncertain weather, for example, it can't do any harm to safely discharge your batteries to a storage level to help prolong their life - especially at £100+ each. I don't have any suitable equipment to do it your way, so if I face a potential long lay-up then I'll probably just hover around for a bit in the back yard until I've got my 2 greens on the battery/the app says 55%. I suppose I could do it indoors with props off and motors running, but I wouldn't want anything to get too hot without any cooling propwash.

dkr77573 said:
http://uterc.org/files/LipoStorageTips.pdf

This is a MUST READ for anyone that's new to LiPo batteries! I am surprised that this is not included with the battery... but I have been surprised about how much I've learned on this forum that wasn't part of the 'manual'.

One of the pieces I read elsewhere ( http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209187 ) was about the risk of fire and destruction with LiPo batts, and I AM new to this, so I'm hungry for all the info I can find. I have been charging/storing batteries in a metal container- sounds like overkill if others are storing in ziplocs in the fridge? Feedback from the pros, please?

Thanks !

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik