Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

How to discharge your Phantom battery?

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by FCPhantom, May 12, 2015.

1. FCPhantom

How you can discharge your Phantom battery? Can I use e.g. bulb and connect it to battery terminals?

2. msinger

Approved Vendor

#2 msinger, May 12, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  3. FCPhantom

Thanks! It should work with 3-6 cell battery.You use it with your Phantom3 battery?

4. msinger

Approved Vendor

I've only tried it on Phantom 2 batteries so far. The connector is the same though, so it should work on a Phantom 3 battery.

5. RyanK

Is this necessary for the P3?? I thought the battery self discharges after 10 days anyway.

6. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flying is the best way to discharge but if that's not possible ...
    Point 3 here should be useful .. the time to discharge is adjustable in the app[​IMG]

7. msinger

Approved Vendor

In the Phantom 2 manual, DJI recommends completely discharging batteries every 20 charges. I don't see that in the Phantom 3 manual -- but, they do talk about completely discharging the battery for some reason.

Flying is surely the fastest way to discharge a battery. However, your Phantom might drop from the sky if it does not land itself in time when the battery is low. For that reason, I do not recommend anyone ever try to completely discharge a battery by flying the Phantom until the battery is in a dangerously low state. If you value your investment, you should always land at or before the battery reaches the low level.

Here are some safer ways to discharge a battery:
    • Per the Phantom manual, turn your Phantom on with the motors (and props) off and wait for it to shut off.
    • Sit your Phantom on the floor, attach some kind of weights to the landing gear (so it doesn't fly away), and run it until it shuts down.
    • Use a battery discharger (like I linked above) or the SmartPower charger (not approved by DJI either).

#7 msinger, May 12, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  8. Recce2

You have a good point and good recommendations. It does state this in the Phantom 3 Smart Battery Safety Guidelines on page 3.

"Charge and discharge the battery completely once every 20 charge/discharge cycles. Discharge the battery until there is 8% remaining power or until it can no longer be turned on, then recharge it the the maximum capacity. This power cycling procedure will optimize battery life."

http://download.dji-innovations.com...igent_Flight_Battery_Safety_Guidelines_en.pdf

9. msinger

Approved Vendor

Ah, good find. So, that's still a requirement with the P3 batteries.

10. RadRich

Page 4 on the Intelligent Battery PDF (Phantom 3) you posted in another thread (Store battery | DJI Phantom Forum)

[​IMG]

11. msinger

Approved Vendor

Yes, sir. And, you dug up an old thread ;)

12. BigAl07

BigAl07 Moderator
    Staff Member

The weather here in WNC has been down right crappy for days. This is only the 2nd time since I've owned the P3P that it hasn't flown enough for the "auto discharge" to come into play and I have it set to 3 days (I think 3) in the GO ap. Last night I opened the case and checked all (4) batteries and sure enough they registered around 60% - 65%. I am planning to fly some this evening and all weekend so I topped them off last night.

The AutoDischarge is pretty sweet.