how to descend?

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I have purchased a phantom 3 pro last week and am really enjoying it. My question is, what is the appropriate way to descend? I have seen videos and read about vortex crashes. Should descent be straight down? full speed, half speed, slow? Also, one, the drone lands, holding the stick down turns the motors off. Does this happen if the stick is held down while the bird is in the air?

If you hold the left stick all the way down while in flight, all that will happen is that the bird will decend as fast as the firmware allows. It will not shut the motors off till you are on the ground.

Depending on the wind I have decended mine from full speed down to as slow as possible down. I have never had any issues with full speed down, BUT I see the drone start to do a little shaking if I go to far down with it at full speed. 1/2 to 3/4 down stick seems to land mine the smoothest. just make sure that you start to go dead slow before you land it.

Reactions: peterepeat69
Hey everyone. I have purchased a phantom 3 pro last week and am really enjoying it. My question is, what is the appropriate way to descend? I have seen videos and read about vortex crashes. Should descent be straight down? full speed, half speed, slow? Also, one, the drone lands, holding the stick down turns the motors off. Does this happen if the stick is held down while the bird is in the air?
You won't shut off the motors by keeping the throttle down, until the quad stops descending.

I normally start descending from far out, surrounding obstacles permitting.

If I have to descend from high overhead I do a corkscrew. The vortex issue doesn't apply to P3s due to the orientation of the motors, so there is no real risk to descending fast and straight down. Flying a corkscrew is just more fun and exercises my stick control.

Obviously the last few feet you slow down your descent dramatically.

Congratulations for acquiring one P3P.

You can descend the way you want, I tried all possible ways, P3 sustained. Never observed any vortex issue. But its fun to descend while moving forward, you get great feeling and you can really see it coming down.

Left stick fully down will descend P3 until it reaches ground. P3 will wait for 3 secs before sitting down all the motors.

Enjoy. Keep following in mind:
1. Always fly with fully charged batteries
2. Observe all surroundings and fly above them. Most accidents take place by hitting trees and buildings.
3. Check for RTH settings before taking off

MAJOR CAUTION
Do not descend and fly backwards at the same time. EVER !!!
Both sticks in full down and full back-up your drone engines will shut off. Then your investment crashes.
If you are learning, press and hold the return button, then about 10-16 feet above the ground press the cancel
button. Then you can take over and land yourself. Slow, steady, and gentle adjustments.
Have fun !!!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

MAJOR CAUTION
Both sticks in full down and full back-up your drone engines will **** off. Then your investment crashes.
If you are learning, press and hold the return button, then about 10-16 feet above the ground press the cancel
button. Then you can take over and land yourself. Slow, steady, and gentle adjustments.
Have fun !!!

Steve both sticks straight back is actually ok. Both down and out or down and in is CSC and the problem you have described.

MAJOR CAUTION
Both sticks in full down and full back-up your drone engines will shut off. Then your investment crashes.
Have fun !!!

That's simply not true. I fly full down and full backwards or forwards or even sideways all the time.

Reactions: snowghost and Oso
I figured this would make for an interesting discussion :p I am aware of the down and in or down and out of both sticks triggering the CSC. So the offset motors make straight down descents a non issue?

to the originator..... you should use the simulator and get used to all of the flight characteristics there...
concentrate on what you are trying to do and when you feel like you have it all down pat... then go out and fly your quad exactly how you practiced on the simulator... you can't go wrong, as long as your in a open field.... just like the simulator has the open field.... you can also test out all of the flight modes in the simulator too...

That's simply not true. I fly full down and full backwards or forwards or even sideways all the time.
Steve is hinting at creating CSC during flying.

kinda fun... go to the simulator and go upto 400 feet then perform CSC and then see if you can start the motors before it hits the ground.... you have to be fast ....

Fwiw. I usually land mine almost like a plane. When I'm bringing it back in from a good height and distance I will line it up facing me and apply some down stick and slow forward movement. With a little practice you'll find the sweet spot of forward and decent and you'll have a nice smooth flight right back to ya.

If your surrounded by a bunch of trees you'll need to adjust the angle coming in so as to not clip any branches.

Fwiw. I usually land mine almost like a plane. When I'm bringing it back in from a good height and distance I will line it up facing me and apply some down stick and slow forward movement. With a little practice you'll find the sweet spot of forward and decent and you'll have a nice smooth flight right back to ya.

Interesting. I always land with the rear facing me. That way, if I have to make any sudden decisions or inputs, or if it suddenly turns gusty and I elect to hand catch, I know instinctively that front is front, left is left and right is right.

Last edited:
Interesting. I always land with the rear facing me. That way, I if have to make any sudden decisions or inputs, or if it suddenly turns gusty and I elect to hand catch, I know instinctively that front is front, left is left and right is right.

That would absolutely work just as well!. It just comes down to what you're comfortable with. Facing fwd or back.

In fact I may try that!. ;)

That would absolutely work just as well!. It just comes down to what you're comfortable with. Facing fwd or back.

In fact I may try that!. ;)
Indeed. I am right handed but all my bass fishing rods have left handed reels on them:cool:

Interesting. I always land with the rear facing me. That way, if I have to make any sudden decisions or inputs, or if it suddenly turns gusty and I elect to hand catch, I know instinctively that front is front, left is left and right is right.

Yeah, that is what I do also. Stick left, Phantom left, stick right, Phantom right, etc. No confusion if things get dicey.

Regards, Jim

Reactions: Erroll
I land with it facing away from me, and like above try and land a bit like a plane until its infront of me, I never hand catch though, I don't understand why any one ever does that unless the ground is wet, all you have to do is hold the throttle down, and eventually it stops.

At first I thought you had to do the kill command so my bird did flip, so I'm wondering if people don't realize you just hold the throttle down and this will kill the motors too?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj