Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

How to Check E-Clips on Motors

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision Discussion' started by pinfish, Feb 16, 2014.

1. pinfish

I see people say to periodically to check the E-clips on the motors. How do you do this?
    Thank you

2. LandYachtMedia

This one is pretty simple. You just pull up on each prop. If you detect no movement then you are good to go. If the shaft of the motor slips up a few mm then you have a missing clip.

The main thing that happens when the clip pops off is it ends up in the motor binding things up. If you have a motor that suddenly acts funny pull up on the prop and see if it moves. If so stop flying till you get all the parts back in their correct places.

3. rfernandez

4. iDrone

Beautifully explained. Did this make it into the Checklist Sticky as a "How to do" and not just a "To do"? If not it should be included.
    +1

iDrone :!:

5. Jeremyconk

Great explanation.... Been wondering how to verify this... Thanks !!

6. noreason4

Could someone please add a picture of that eclip? I've been wondering how they look like for days now.. Thanks!

7. Pull_Up

The other thing that can happen if the e-clip comes off is that both the clip and the spacer underneath it can get loose and rattle around in the shell potentially shorting things out. As well as the pull test before/after every flight I actually remove each motor and physically inspect the underside during my "under the hood checks" (see preventative maintenance sticky). I test the clips for tightness with needle nose pliers or similar rather than just visually look, too.

8. Pull_Up

9. Count

I actually have come across a loose eclip, so it does happen. The worst part is that the brass spacer is not magnetic and usually gets lost, and are hard to find to replace. But it does only take about 20 seconds total to check, as was explained

10. kloader

Here is a photo of the bottom of the Phantom motor showing the clip in place on the motor shaft.

Attached Files:

11. FC40 Pilot

Is it normal to get a rattley motor? When spin the props by hand 2 of them sound whisper smooth but other have like a rattle sound like the shaft is loose!? Can anyone shed some light on this? Ive only flown my phantom twice from new. Checked the motor and circlip/e-clip is intact.

12. Mossie

To visually check the e-clips, do you have to take the top cover off the vision and is it something easy enough to do ?

13. Pull_Up

I have seen some Phantom 1 users just undo the motor screws with the shell in place and pull the wires through to lift the motor up. I'm not convinced there's enough slack in the Vision stock motor wires to do that safely, personally. I would take the lid off, it's not difficult if you have the right tools. There's a how-to vid in my signature if you're unsure of what to use to get it done.

14. Mossie

Great thanks ! That's another of your videos saved for future reference.

Any chance you can do another one on how to check and/or replace the e clips :D :D

15. gunslinger

gunslinger Moderator
    Staff Member

Here we go again... "ROLL 'EM!!!" (cue the dog... ) :D

-slinger