How to charge a lipo with one cell down.

Reaction score
So I've bought the above battery and one of the cell is about 1.79 volts. Is there a way to bearing it back up because right now my phantom charger won't charge it

Re: Turnigy 2200 problem

you can possibly save it, but you will need a different charger. The trick is, use a multi type charger, the kind that will charge most rc batteries of all chemistry ( LiPo, LiOn, NiCd, etc.). hook the battery to the charger and set it to Nickel metal hydride, and charge for about one minute, what this does is it brings the battery surface charge up to a respectable level, and once you charge back up on a LiPo charger (your DJI unit) it should see the increase in voltage and begin charging as normal.

I'm giving this way a shot. Voltage is climbing. As soon as it can charge on its own I will do it by itself.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 528

I already did, told three of my heli buddies.........they scratched their heads and thought, "cool wtf, why didn't we think of that". :cool:

Keep a very close eye on that battery. Some people have successfully brought back 0v dry batteries back to life, some of those have puffed very quickly, some have developed extremely high internal resistance in that cell and don't discharge or charge evenly at all, and some are A-OK. The thing is the failure scenarios tend to be serious.

My guess is that cell is toast. If you can get it to charge (normally), be sure to check the cell voltages when it's done. But usually when a Lipo goes below 3v, it's toast. Unfortunately I learned that the hard way: see my thread on DJI charger destroying one of my batteries after just a few charges. I'd be afraid to fly it with that battery in it.

Mike

If I had a battery like that I think I'd reserve it for when I want to connect my Phantom to the PC so I wouldn't have to worry about how far I have drained a battery I'll be using for flying later while linked to the PC and whether I should give it a top-up charge. That way you won't interfere with the charged batteries destined for flying.

Update time. The cells now read 4.2 , 4.15 and 4.20 on the second charge discharge cycle. On this balance charge tonight it's on track to even out :D

Ok. Here's the follow up. I've been using this battery(turnigy 2200) for 2 months now. It performs flawlessly and show no ill effects. All cells always come up within .02 of a volt and balance out perfectly.

Ozzyguy said:
Ok. Here's the follow up. I've been using this battery(turnigy 2200) for 2 months now. It performs flawlessly and show no ill effects. All cells always come up within .02 of a volt and balance out perfectly.

Thanks for update. Reviving dead cells is a sometimes-you-win, sometimes-you-lose proposition. The key is to carefully monitor its behavior.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31