How to bring back a Phantom that has gone too far.

Reaction score
I have seen a number of posts where people have become disorientated and their phantom has drifted away from them until its impossible to tell which way its facing. I developed 2 techniques for myself to recover from this situation and I have practiced them many many times in the simulator. It should work if all else fails.

For the first 3 minutes of the video I show you how you can use the camera hanging underneath your phantom as a useful visual clue for orientation. From 3 minutes onwards I demonstrate both techniques for recovery if you lose orientation in the sky.

Its clearer if you can watch in HD as I send the phantom out quite far to demonstrate.

This video is aimed at new flyers, I am not trying to teach anyone to suck eggs.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdoV_Xhk-7s[/youtube]

Whenever I encounter this situation, I switch to "Home Lock", (as intended). Doesn't matter which way its facing, just pull back on the right stick and here it comes...back to its home point.

Nice video! Good techniques :)

I've found when I fly too far away and aren't sure of its orientation, I just make sure the "GPS" switch is on, and shut the receiver off so it will fly back to me :)

Yes, Home Lock is the best way to go IMO. Course Lock will not perform the same if you've moved around much. I do the same thing. Home Lock, pull back towards me, if I don't feel like it's working properly, I switch my GPS/ATTI/FS to Failsafe, wait about 30 seconds, then shut the remote off and wait for it to return. When it gets 30-50 ft. away I power the remote on, toggle the ATTI/GPS back to GPS, and self-land. Works every time.

ALTHOUGH - for under $8, I RARELY have to do this. Here's why: http://www.amazon.com/Phantom-Quadcopte ... +headlight

Such a great upgrade. Mine is soldered to the power connection on the mainboard, but if you don't have the upgrade P1/P2 board you can use the readily available aux power wires on many of the Phantoms. Super simple. Or you can just plug it into the white balanced port on your battery, but that's not as clean and simple. That light is so bright that I can see it even in bright sunlight. I simply return sticks to center, rotate slowly until I see the light, and bring it home.

Adam

adam12hicks said:
That light is so bright that I can see it even in bright sunlight. I simply return sticks to center, rotate slowly until I see the light, and bring it home.

Adam

I did something similar and built strobes for my Phantom which work well even in bright sunlight.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq8rOCwjuNc[/youtube]

Wayne

I like the strobes. Did you post a DIY or parts list?

Also, how did you fly two together without interference?

adam12hicks said:
Yes, Home Lock is the best way to go IMO. Course Lock will not perform the same if you've moved around much. I do the same thing. Home Lock, pull back towards me, if I don't feel like it's working properly, I switch my GPS/ATTI/FS to Failsafe, wait about 30 seconds, then shut the remote off and wait for it to return. When it gets 30-50 ft. away I power the remote on, toggle the ATTI/GPS back to GPS, and self-land. Works every time.

ALTHOUGH - for under $8, I RARELY have to do this. Here's why: http://www.amazon.com/Phantom-Quadcopte ... +headlight

Such a great upgrade. Mine is soldered to the power connection on the mainboard, but if you don't have the upgrade P1/P2 board you can use the readily available aux power wires on many of the Phantoms. Super simple. Or you can just plug it into the white balanced port on your battery, but that's not as clean and simple. That light is so bright that I can see it even in bright sunlight. I simply return sticks to center, rotate slowly until I see the light, and bring it home.

Adam

Will this light work on a P2V?
Does it impact performance/battery in any way?

Of course! It'll work on any of them. Just clip off the white connector and solder it to an ESC power connection on the mainboard. Takes about 2 minutes once the case is open. It uses Velcro to attach to the quad, so you just stick it to the body on the front of the quad. Then you always know which way you're facing. Super simple and very effective.

adam12hicks said:
Of course! It'll work on any of them. Just clip off the white connector and solder it to an ESC power connection on the mainboard. Takes about 2 minutes once the case is open. It uses Velcro to attach to the quad, so you just stick it to the body on the front of the quad. Then you always know which way you're facing. Super simple and very effective.

Interesting. I'm decent with a solder gun, but I'm not familiar with the board inside, etc.

Also, would I have to cut/poke a hole or slot in the plastic shell to make the wires fit?

Nice video, Shrimpy. Thank you!

A lot of my general flying involves exactly what you have demonstrated here, although I had not thought of the yaw technique before and will have to check it out. IOC/failsafe is great when it's working, but being able to recover the bird by this method should be part of every pilot's skill set.

BTW- What simulator setup are you using? It looks great. I *need* it!

ududidj said:
Nice video, Shrimpy. Thank you!

A lot of my general flying involves exactly what you have demonstrated here, although I had not thought of the yaw technique before and will have to check it out. IOC/failsafe is great when it's working, but being able to recover the bird by this method should be part of every pilot's skill set.

BTW- What simulator setup are you using? It looks great. I *need* it!

Its Heli_X for PC Mac and Linux.

Try as I might, I just can't find anywhere on that website that tells me what the Sim costs, nor can I find out whether the P2 controller can be used as the Sim controller (and if not, what then?)

It would be useful to me because I'm going to have to pass a DGAC examination to use my P2 setup commercially here. (The DGAC is the French equivalent of the British CAA and American FAA)

Peter Evans said:
Try as I might, I just can't find anywhere on that website that tells me what the Sim costs, nor can I find out whether the P2 controller can be used as the Sim controller (and if not, what then?)

It would be useful to me because I'm going to have to pass a DGAC examination to use my P2 setup commercially here. (The DGAC is the French equivalent of the British CAA and American FAA)

Its a fair point Peter its a terrible website as it does not have a buy me now button. The full version of the sim is 50 euros. I think that once you download the trial version you can select a button to register it. That then takes you to a Paypal payment link to pay the author. It was trouble free when I did it.

Thanks for that; I'm glad I just wasn't overlooking something. I thought I must be stupid, thinking, "It's gotta be here somewhere, I mean, who would create a website to sell something and then not give any details as to how much the product is and how you can buy it?"

What about the controller, though? Do you plug your Phantom 2 controller into the PC, via USB, and use that to control the Sim?

The video would definitely be useful for novice pilots and helps to reinforce the basics for those with experience. The first time I lost visual orientation of my P2V it certainly got the heart beating faster so I think the first thing to do is keep calm. The beauty of our Phantoms is that in GPS mode they will hold station while you take a deep breath and then slowly and logically go through the techniques you outline in the video.

Thanks for posting :)

Peter Evans said:
Thanks for that; I'm glad I just wasn't overlooking something. I thought I must be stupid, thinking, "It's gotta be here somewhere, I mean, who would create a website to sell something and then not give any details as to how much the product is and how you can buy it?"

What about the controller, though? Do you plug your Phantom 2 controller into the PC, via USB, and use that to control the Sim?

I have tried connecting the Phantom controller but it does not work. Its a shame as DJI could provide a driver but they don't. So I just use an old bluetooth PS3 controller. I am flying it on a Mac and there is a way to fool the PS3 controller to work with it. Not sure for a PC. Its not ideal but it allows you to control it fine. I would say the sim is mainly useful for burning the required stick movements into your memory banks so they are instinctive. Also it can help you get used to flying FPV. It also helps to train the eye with orientation. Its quite a bit of fun as well.

Running on a Mac too. Just downloaded the sim and lucky for me I discovered the USB controller that came with an older version of Real Flight worked perfect.

I've just been to check my box of 'things that might come in useful one day' and I've found two old X-Box controllers (each has two self-centering joystick controls!

Now to find out (a) if there is such a thing as an X-Box to USB conversion cable and a PC driver and (b) if, yes, whether it would control that Sim !

Peter Evans said:
I've just been to check my box of 'things that might come in useful one day' and I've found two old X-Box controllers (each has two self-centering joystick controls!

Now to find out (a) if there is such a thing as an X-Box to USB conversion cable and a PC driver and (b) if, yes, whether it would control that Sim !

Are you sure they didn't come with one ?

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360 ... ontrollers

Is there a way to use one of the channels on the controller to turn the headlight on or off? What would be involved in doing that?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31