HOW-TO: Antenna Modifications - Improve Your Distance

I'm saying most pilot's opinions are that linear polarization beats circular polarization. But even if they were equal, linear polarization is a lot cheaper.

I'm saying most pilot's opinions are that linear polarization beats circular polarization. But even if they were equal, linear polarization is a lot cheaper.
Im a beginner could you also show me in pictures what are you talking?

Ok guys Im a bit confused here. I think lol I have what i think was probably phantom 2. Anyways long story short Its now equipped with the factory wifi module, re700 extender and a gopro on a zenmuse. Here is where I'm confused my controller is also a 2.4 controller. I've been working on fpv for about 3 months slowly buying the parts i needed. once I got the gopro to work in the vision app i thought all was good, but i just couldn't get more than 100ft or so. "this is heavily congested wifi area, but still 100ft?' So I thought i would move my antennas outside of the wifi repeater the controller and the wifi side of the bird. my video quality was instant change. As far as range though not much change Ive been following this thread since i got my drone and I would like to get something from tony. I went ahead and shot an email to him about the possibility of my video feed being interrupted by the 2.4controller. an if that was the case would doing something like rhcp on the controller and receiver. Then Do lhcp on the video., He suggested the stage two kit. Im still unsure if that kit will even work with a 2.4ghz remote? Its been two days an i didn't get any answer back from him. Im itching to get some real fpv distance Can someone here shed a little light on whether I need to snag an older 5.8ghz remote and then go for the stage two or if that kit will work just fine with a 2.4ghz remote. Then if they could kindly explain why I only loose video and not vise versa. I've flown well beyond 1000ft with no loss of control just no video feed.

Anyways thanks in advance.

Ok guys Im a bit confused here. I think lol I have what i think was probably phantom 2. Anyways long story short Its now equipped with the factory wifi module, re700 extender and a gopro on a zenmuse. Here is where I'm confused my controller is also a 2.4 controller. I've been working on fpv for about 3 months slowly buying the parts i needed. once I got the gopro to work in the vision app i thought all was good, but i just couldn't get more than 100ft or so. "this is heavily congested wifi area, but still 100ft?' So I thought i would move my antennas outside of the wifi repeater the controller and the wifi side of the bird. my video quality was instant change. As far as range though not much change Ive been following this thread since i got my drone and I would like to get something from tony. I went ahead and shot an email to him about the possibility of my video feed being interrupted by the 2.4controller. an if that was the case would doing something like rhcp on the controller and receiver. Then Do lhcp on the video., He suggested the stage two kit. Im still unsure if that kit will even work with a 2.4ghz remote? Its been two days an i didn't get any answer back from him. Im itching to get some real fpv distance Can someone here shed a little light on whether I need to snag an older 5.8ghz remote and then go for the stage two or if that kit will work just fine with a 2.4ghz remote. Then if they could kindly explain why I only loose video and not vise versa. I've flown well beyond 1000ft with no loss of control just no video feed.

Anyways thanks in advance.
I would switch to a 5.8ghz controller. I get over half a mile with the controller and loose video at a little over 3200'.

The frequency of wifi on the p2v video is 2.4ghz, same as wifi.
With the GoPro you are probably fighting over the radio frequency

I use a factory p2v with a modified re700 with a 5dbi and a 9dbi antenna.

The 5dbi to cover vertically, and the 9 dbi horizontally.
I have found no need to go any further than to modify the range extender.

Living in the country might be the difference.

Yeah, sounds like you have a straight P2 which means you have 2.4 for control and 2.4 for the FPV. Which means you're in the wrong forum :grinning:

Not that there aren't people here willing to help, but you might find people more experienced with your situation in the P2 forum.

Here is the P2 page from DJI:

Phantom 2 - The Spirit Of Flight

You should be getting up to 1000 meters for control.

Since we know the control is vertical, you might try horizontal for the FPV and see if that is an improvement?

Reactions: jakester79
Hey Thanks both you guys for such a quick response. I will hop over there and see if i can dig anything up. Btw easily get 1000ft of control. Ive actually never lost control of the bird, Just didn't have any fpv at any distance. Hence why i moved the wifi antennas to the outside of the bird and on the repeater. Since you "Mark" mentions changing my orientation of my fpv antenna's does that mean i could essentially change all the fpv to a lhcp combination Maybe do tonys stage one fpv. I don't really think the transmitter is interfering. I mean there is sub freq in the 2.4ghz band right?

Anyways thanks again. Ive been digging for a day or two now trying to find a definitive answer to the whole left hand circular polarized on fpv and the rhcp on remote of course with the correct receiving antenna on the other end.

Yes you can do all that CP stuff, but it's a lot of work and a lot of money. So that's why I suggest trying to simply shift the polarity from vertical to horizontal which would cost you nothing. Maybe that would improve things for you. Because when you think about it, most of the people with wifi routers and what-not have their antennas sticking STRAIGHT UP. And that's vertical polarity. So you will try to out-smart them by using horizontal polarity on both ends. And maybe that will help because it might minimize the interference.

Reactions: Kurtis Jeter
Yes you can do all that CP stuff, but it's a lot of work and a lot of money. So that's why I suggest trying to simply shift the polarity from vertical to horizontal which would cost you nothing. Maybe that would improve things for you. Because when you think about it, most of the people with wifi routers and what-not have their antennas sticking STRAIGHT UP. And that's vertical polarity. So you will try to out-smart them by using horizontal polarity on both ends. And maybe that will help because it might minimize the interference.

I never did thank you for that tip.

It was too easy. I had 5 & 9dbi antenna and put them on a re_700 and I fly aroundwherever I want to go with no issues.

Hey just a thought here. I've got two phantom 2 remotes sitting in front of me now. One is a 2.4GHz version 3 with the tilt wheel and rechargeable lipo battery. The other is the version 2. 5.8GHz remote control. My question is has anyone taken the 5.8GHz module off the stock pcb and swapped it onto the newer version pcb that comes in a version 3 2.4GHz remote. It looks like both modules have the same amount of pins. My reason is to keep the functionality of the spring loaded tilt wheel and the rechargeable lipo battery as well as effectively switching the birds Frequency from 2.4GHz to 5.8GHz. Thus making it a p2v+.

Ive tried to search this mod, but my choice of wording or just the lack of anyone doing this is turning up no results. If someone know's of a thread regarding this or video, or maybe you have an idea of a better place to post this inquiry I'd gladly accept their input.

Not sure what you mean by "2.4GHz version 3 with the tilt wheel and rechargeable lipo battery."

Can you tell us what the label on the back says? Or show us a photo?

Not sure what you mean by "2.4GHz version 3 with the tilt wheel and rechargeable lipo battery."

Can you tell us what the label on the back says? Or show us a photo?

Hey Mark thanks again for chiming in. Spent the better half of the my night "its now 3am" trying to find an answer to this question. To no avail. So basically what I'm wanting to do is essentially take my NDJ6 transmitter "which is 2.4GHz" and turn it into a 5.8GHz transmitter. By just pulling the little board that is connected to the antenna thats soldered ontop of the main pcb inside transmitter and swapping it out with the one that is in my PVT581.

Im basically wanting to keep all the functionality of the last manufactured NDJ6 2.4GHz remote. " the lipo battery,tilt wheel,and trainer port" but with the older PVT581 transmitters 5.8GHz board. That needs to be modified for a tilt lever and takes 4 double a's.

Let me know If you would still like some pics of the actual part I'm talking about. camera is on the charger now.

Okay I gotcha.

Did you know that the P2V+ Version 3 controller is as you describe? It has the scroll wheel, and the rechargeable Lipo. But it also has the 5.8 transmitter already in it. So this might save you some time and anguish unless you just enjoy modding stuff. :p

IIRC, I paid around $50 for it (used) over a year ago...

Okay I gotcha.

Did you know that the P2V+ Version 3 controller is as you describe? It has the scroll wheel, and the rechargeable Lipo. But it also has the 5.8 transmitter already in it. So this might save you some time and anguish unless you just enjoy modding stuff. :p

IIRC, I paid around $50 for it (used) over a year ago...

That figures. LoL That makes sense as to why every once in a while through my searches Ill catch what I thought was a NDJ6 clearly wasn't. Yep Seems about right. There is so much information on the net sometimes its to much. Thanks again my friend. Im tapped for now. after two wifi modules, a 5.8Ghz tx and rx, A dedicated tablet,a wifi repeater, replacement shell,two motors and 1 ESC I'm just about done dropping countless amounts of dollars to get fpv. Oh lets not forget a gopro, and a stage 2 FPVLR kit. Ugh disgusted is exactly how i feel right now. That said I do appreciate your quick response to my questions. I'm gonna attempt to swap the main tx board,

There is so much information on the net sometimes its to much. Thanks again my friend. Im tapped for now. after two wifi modules, a 5.8Ghz tx and rx, A dedicated tablet,a wifi repeater, replacement shell,two motors and 1 ESC I'm just about done dropping countless amounts of dollars to get fpv. Oh lets not forget a gopro, and a stage 2 FPVLR kit. Ugh
Preachin' to the choir, bro

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31