HOW-TO: Antenna Modifications - Improve Your Distance

Looking at mine, the 2.4 on the controller and the same straight on the quad look the same. But they may be different. I can not say. I purchased mine in stages, so mine were not something that could get mixed up. Best to check with Tony or maybe some one here that KNOWS can answer that qestion. I try not to give out uncertain answers.

Installed my stage 2. Tested inside the house, wall pentration have not seen any improvement to the wifi. Will test it out later today hopefully.

BTW when I tried to install the cable inside the transmitter, I ripped out the connector off the circuit board. I didn't peel out all the silicon rubber. I ended up having to solder the wire connector onto the circuit board. So beware! Always remove all silicon rubber before trying to pull the cable.

unclebob said:
Installed my stage 2. Tested inside the house, wall pentration have not seen any improvement to the wifi. Will test it out later today hopefully.

BTW when I tried to install the cable inside the transmitter, I ripped out the connector off the circuit board. I didn't peel out all the silicon rubber. I ended up having to solder the wire connector onto the circuit board. So beware! Always remove all silicon rubber before trying to pull the cable.
I see you are rather new here. That problem has been around for a long time. The "stuff" that is in the controller and the WiFi extender on those connectors is no where near as bad as the "Black Goo of Death" on the 5.8 board in the quad. That stuff is :shock:
Just incase no one has: Welcome to Phantom Pilots.

Hi HappyFlier

Haven't had time to post at the forum. Had the bird for a month now. Just tested out stage 2.The Wifi amplifier replacement is coming. I bought one from Taobao China and it is broken within 2 days.

My range today improved from 330m with clover leafs to 475m distance, 110m height with stage 2.
Kind of disappointing as I expect 1-2km. I think it got to do with my aiming and more height needed.

Just came back from another flight. This time with the transmitter and everything mounted on a tripod. Have some slight improvement. Getting around 500m and occassionally 670m distance. Not quite the 1-2km I am expecting.

I do notice when I switch off the transmitter to activate return home, the signal becomes much better for the wifi.

Re: How-to Antenna Modifications - Improve Your Distance

allemtura said:
Stage 4 Photos

Is there a link or similar model of the batter that used in the image below that can feed two RF AMPS at the same time.

Just ordered a stage 2 kit. Looking forward to trying it out :-D There's a great reef occasionally visited by seals about 1000m off our local beach that I've been itching to film. It is about 200m out of my current video range with a p2v+. Fingers crossed!

any pictures or tips for the stage 4?
I got the googles from fatshark and datalink too, wondering how to mount eve thing.
does datalink actually works/indispensable ?
on the stake 4 kit, shows 7 antennas, and pics of installed antennas only need 4, Am I overseen something?

Last edited:
Something is wrong. Call tony and he will get it figured out. He is a fast shipper. Both times for me about 1 1/2 weeks and I'm in canda.

Hi,
I have a P2V (no +) and are considering getting the Stage 2 kit (Video+Control).

1. However, having the RE500 Extender it got me thinking. What is the best option of getting the RE700 or the kit (stage 1 video) from FPVLR?

2. Someone asked how the Stage 2 kit affect the possibility to use the standard FPV-mount (in my case iPad Mini). I also would like to know. Anyone?

Thanks guys,
J

Received my stage 2 kit yesterday. Just did a quick test run along a suburban beach and got 1600m before I lost control signal. Still had video though! Thanks Tony, that's twice what I was getting in that area. Well happy.

Attachments

• Screenshots_2015-04-10-10-44-56.png
    Screenshots_2015-04-10-10-44-56.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 579
Just completed stage 3. Damm that goo!
The board that the 2 bird side antenna's go to--does one connection on the board go to video and the other controller? The antenna's are specific I thought so I am wondering if on should go to one specific connector on the board. For example "when looking at the board from some angle the left connector takes the video antennae and the other controller".
Thanks,
Damon

Received my stage 2 kit yesterday. Just did a quick test run along a suburban beach and got 1600m before I lost control signal. Still had video though! Thanks Tony, that's twice what I was getting in that area. Well happy.

And it'd help if I changed the max radius in the assistant from 1600m! D'oh. Might get even better next time

Hey did you just cut the connected then solder mines ripped off the board also because the white goo fused the 2 together smh

So I was very excited when my 2 stage 2 Pilot's side mods got here this morning for my 2 P2PV+'s
Now after about 6 hours of messing with it, I have two completely nonworking RC controllers that cannot make contact with the drones. Ive tried everything I know and nothing. VERY FRUSTRATED.... no phone number to call for support, no email response, nothing. The installation instructions above just go back to the sales page for the stage 2 mod and the link for installation instructions there just come back here.
Hopefully whenever someone gets around to responding, there will be something they can do to help. Im completely down after trying to install this stuff on my drone controller.
The owner of FPVLR said he was out of the country so maybe when he gets back in he can fix this up.
DONT BELIEVE the "easy installation" claims. There is a ton of very small and very delicate work that must be done to get these things working. I just cant do it I guess.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20