HOW-TO: Antenna Modifications - Improve Your Distance

I do see the point of a new hole. You can get a wrench on both sides of the SMA. But, with the "no going back" modification I did on the controller shell, I have a very tight SMA connector and like the position of the antennas better. The mod of a "nose trim" shows in the close up in the second picture. The hole I have is from a small panel antenna I had on in the past.

Attachments

• Controller Ant-2.JPG
    Controller Ant-2.JPG
    295.3 KB · Views: 1,077
  • Controller Ant-1.JPG
    Controller Ant-1.JPG
    462.4 KB · Views: 1,140
I just noticed something about the "old" version of stage 2 and the "new" one. There are more turns on the 5.8 antenna. bummer.

Tony got my stage 2 kit. Installed it without a hitch. Flew today with at least 2 times range. Awesome. No dropouts where I always got them before. It rocks. Thanks.
Jon

Greetings
I just received my stage 2 kit in the mail and would like to know if there are any other options for instructions other than the 40 min 1.2GB youtube video that doesn't work well for the bandwidth challenged?

eyecon82 said:
how many cm apart is the half dome and circular antenna supposed to be apart again?
I think it has been discussed somewhere. Mine are(gotta go get the metric ruler)about 17-1/2 CM apart and they work very well. Mine are the old version and I made a bracket for them. See back a few posts.

allemtura said:
Hi Tony,

Is there a reason why the control antenna is on the right (when looking from behind) instead of on the left? As seen in the photos it now means a hole has to be drilled in the top of the transmitter for the cable to reach. If it was on the left the existing antenna hole could be used making it look neater?

I suspect part of the reason is because you can get a better, more secure fastening of the connector cable by drilling a new hole rather than using the old position?

FPVLR, we need an answer on this. Also, what is this magical optimum distance apart? Thanks

eyecon82 said:
allemtura said:
Hi Tony,

Is there a reason why the control antenna is on the right (when looking from behind) instead of on the left? As seen in the photos it now means a hole has to be drilled in the top of the transmitter for the cable to reach. If it was on the left the existing antenna hole could be used making it look neater?

I suspect part of the reason is because you can get a better, more secure fastening of the connector cable by drilling a new hole rather than using the old position?

FPVLR, we need an answer on this. Also, what is this magical optimum distance apart? Thanks
He answered that question on page 2 of this post. Read back.

I asked him by email. Answer is you want it at least 14cm from center point to center point. The greater, the better

Also, it does not matter what Is on right or left

Happyflyer said:
eyecon82 said:
allemtura said:
Hi Tony,

No he didn't. I don't see anything

eyecon82 said:
.....FPVLR, we need an answer on this. Also, what is this magical optimum distance apart? Thanks
[/quote]No he didn't. I don't see anything[/quote]
It had to do with drilling the hole and not about distance.

Happyflyer said:
eyecon82 said:
.....FPVLR, we need an answer on this. Also, what is this magical optimum distance apart? Thanks
No he didn't. I don't see anything[/quote]
It had to do with drilling the hole and not about distance.
[/quote]

?

Isn't that what I asked? Optimum distance apart?

Hello. There are two antennas on both sides of the drone, but original is the only one on each side. Where Thurs the 2nd switched on?

Haven't really noticed any tutorial on this part but the plastic plate that the 2 antenna are on, what do you guys do to mount it on to the WiFi extender box? I don't see any signs of screws or anything, are they just kinda super glued for the most part?

Hot melt glue is your best friend.

Kjello said:
Hello. There are two antennas on both sides of the drone, but original is the only one on each side. Where Thurs the 2nd switched on?
Sorry, Kjello, would you please re-phrase your question? I just don't understand what you asked. Sorry.
Welcome to Phantom Pilots.

Solidus said:
Haven't really noticed any tutorial on this part but the plastic plate that the 2 antenna are on, what do you guys do to mount it on to the WiFi extender box? I don't see any signs of screws or anything, are they just kinda super glued for the most part?

Use Velcro. Has self adhesive backing on each side that way you can easily remove it.

Happyflyer said:
Hot melt glue is your best friend.

Of course why didn't I think of that? Thanks for the tip. Food boot see Velcro tip until after post, not a bad idea either.

Bear501 said:
Solidus said:

Use Velcro. Has self adhesive backing on each side that way you can easily remove it.
Yes, that would also work well. if you wanted to take off the antenna maybe to put controller in a case. I had no reason to take mine off, so I did the glue job.

Hi, I am installing a stage 3 FPVLR antennae on my P2V+. I did the whole stage 2, tested it and it worked out perfectly well. Now I am doing first phase of stage 3 (the 2.4 wifi antennae on the bird - I am still very afraid of the black goo of death...). There are two seemingly identical 2.4 cloverleaf antennas. One is supposed to go on the wifi extender and the other on the bird (there is also a slightly different 2.4 antena, with an elbow socket that is supposed to go on the bird.

My question is: Are those two 2.4 seemingly identical antennas exchangeable or is there one specific antenna that is supposed to go on the bird and another specific antenna that is supposed to go on the wifi extender and, if that is the case, how do I tell them apart?

Thank you all for the help.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.