How to add a remote channel & power port to Phantom 3 & 4

I agree about the power but I don't use it for any significant amperage. For my big LED light it has it's own battery. I may swap out the phono connector. I planned the remote trigger to be the small RCA and the reason the power is the 3.5mm RCA is simply because it was what I had on hand at the time. The power jack was actually an total afterthought I did at the last minute. My main project was making the accessory trigger. Then I figured why not have a little power jack in case I need it for something small. I have thought of using a barrel connector too but I really don't use the power one much.
Fair enough. I would recommend a fast blow low value fuse in line and pay particular attention to the mechanical reliability of any solder joints. Murphy was an optimist.

I think you are psychic. I was already planning to do a little internal fuse the next time I open the case. I plan to just solder some wires to an automotive mini fuse that is rated for about 2-3 amps.

Also, as a warning to anyone uses my design. My power cords that plug into this jack are NOT headphones I cut the ends off. I bought some from Radio Shack and then soldered decent quality wires to them. If you use a cut off headphone cord those wires are very thin and designed to carry a wide range of frequencies and be very flexible, but are NOT designed to carry any significant voltage or current.

P.S. To all readers - My main reason for sharing this info was to inspire and show what can be done. It may be better to use a barrel connector for power but NEVER use more than a very small amount of current from your flight battery no matter what connector you choose. This was meant as a way for me to not carry the weight of a little square 9v battery or a small lipo pack, etc.

The 3 pin connectors & sockets for connecting RC servos are what I usually use. Foolproof.
Actually, there isn't any reason [apart from maybe slightly shorter flight times] why you cannot take a couple of amps from your flight battery. The ESCs are already drawing 20+ amps. You might even find that you gain flight time compared to carrying the extra battery.

Last edited:
Reactions: With The Birds
The 3 pin connectors & sockets for connecting RC servos are what I usually use. Foolproof.
Actually, there isn't any reason [apart from maybe slightly shorter flight times] why you cannot take a couple of amps from your flight battery. The ESCs are already drawing 20+ amps. You might even find that you gain flight time compared to carrying the extra battery.
You make a very good point. For any accessory added we should consider the power requirements and determine if an extra battery is needed and the overall effect. The numbers I recall stated by those who performed testing on the phantoms were that every gram of added weight reduced flight time by 1.2sec. Factor in to what extent the added weight might modify flight characteristics (weight and aerodynamics) and it becomes a very important consideration.

That is why I drain off the main battery for my LED light ring and my disco light mods. My 100watt LED light is a beast so I strap on a 2,200mah 3 cell Li-Po. But my flight times are cut in half due to the weight of the Li-Po and the LED light and buck converter itself. My bird lands with a hot battery after flying that thing around for a while.

Show me a photo of the servo plug please?

Sure, but I wouldn't use them for more than about an amp - My lights take 220ma. I flew in late afternoon yesterday, and it sticks out like a dog's b***s at 120m, to quite a wide angle - at least 45 deg down all around. These are a pair from one of my real flying models - I cut the white wire off because that is a pulse train, in a servo. Just be aware that you cannot safely plug a servo into this - they are only expecting 5v or so. 20170119_141943.jpg 20170119_142024.jpg

Last edited:
Oh OK, I know what plug you mean now. I wanted something that was built in like a jack. That is why I did the RCA plugs for power and remote. I also only use them for low power draw.

The RCAs are fine. I just file a rectangular hole & hot glue the socket part in to use the rc plug/socket.

Very nice work JonE! Yes, I also wish DJI would add a spare channel or two. How hard could it be for them? I think of all the cool options it would bring to the aircraft. I've been working on adding sound via a direction mic hanging from the landing gear.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20