How tight should the screws be?

M_W

Reaction score
So I was OCDishly going over my P3S and noticed that I was able to tighten the screws on the motor mount (I think that's what it's called). They weren't loose or anything, but I was able to tighten them up a little. How tight should they be? Should they be as tight as I'm able to get them? I'm worried that if I were to tighten them too much I might accidentally strip something or that it might put stress on the frame and start causing hairline cracks that a lot of people seem to be having trouble with.

Again, they weren't loose, but with a little bit of force I was able to get them to move. I didn't actually go and tighten them all, I just noticed it on a few of the screws and stopped there.

They're probably fine and I'm just worrying over nothing again, but I just got this thing and am super worried about anything happening to it. :p

I noticed 2 of my motors are not square to the frame. The screws were snug. Any input would be appreciated. I have a P3A

Maybe you can by a teeny tiny torque wrench and experiment w the specs?

Reactions: curryjim8818
they were like that for a reason. the motors are supposed to be mounted with a slight tilt to prevent the vortex ring state/wobble when descending like on the phantom 1 and 2s. on mine, the side the motors are tilted, the screw is in more than other 3 screws on the motor mount.

there have been many posts about people being concerned cuz the motors were uneven (i was worried as well) but that was intentional by DJI. I would leave it how they were out of the box since i havent heard of any P3S shells cracking. however, if you are going to tighten it, definitely dont tighten it too tight, and watch on descend to make sure its not wobbling.

Reactions: John N Kronyak
they were like that for a reason. the motors are supposed to be mounted with a slight tilt to prevent the vortex ring state/wobble when descending like on the phantom 1 and 2s. on mine, the side the motors are tilted, the screw is in more than other 3 screws on the motor mount.

there have been many posts about people being concerned cuz the motors were uneven (i was worried as well) but that was intentional by DJI. I would leave it how they were out of the box since i havent heard of any P3S shells cracking. however, if you are going to tighten it, definitely dont tighten it too tight, and watch on descend to make sure its not wobbling.
Thanks Jay H. No stress cracks on my P3A after more than 100 flights

Thanks Jay H. No stress cracks on my P3A after more than 100 flights

do you have the old or new style motors? i have about 2 weeks to decide whether or not i want to return my P3S and upgrade to a P3A but i was worried about the cracks.

I just noticed that all my motors are mounted at a tilt too!

Anyway, I'll just check that all the screws are snug and leave them as they are.

Most people say just to snug 'em down, but I noticed that the factory tightness is a bit looser than my "snugging". Am I making them too tight? I'm really just concerned about the shell getting stress cracks due to over tightening. I'm using the allen key that came with the DJI prop guards, if that matters.

Just a note, they do have blue lock-tite on them.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31