How puffed is puffed enough to trash?

Reaction score
Lipos. They don't stay forever flat. Over time they do get puffed a bit (gas build-up inside). How puffed is puffed? When it's time to trash em and get a replacement?

Thanks,
Ice

The battery:

1557470_10152099776339765_1435822638_n.jpg

1526192_10152099773254765_1254453418_n.jpg

63335_10152099771729765_1483428367_n.jpg

I guess when it won't fit into the Phantom anymore.
With 2200mah batteries selling for around $12, and the damage a bursting LiPO can do inside your Phantom, or the crash from a power failure, I'd invest in a new battery if mine looked like that.
Batteries are cheap. Crashing the Phantom is not. Just my 2cents ;)

I'd have to agree with previous reply. These batteries are relatively cheap and are not designed to last forever anyway. If it feels like it's getting warm when it's charging then it's overdue for replacement. The cost to you financially if your Phantom was to suffer battery failure while over water or difficult terrain could be as high as the cost of a brand new Phantom! The cost to you if your battery was to explode and then ignite during charging could be so much higher. Personally I wouldn't take that chance. This is a fun hobby, not a money saving exercise. Just my 2 cents worth

Well, it fits in the phantom very well.

Seriously, when do you decide enough is enough? As it charges and runs perfectly on the other hand...

IceFireSoul said:
Well, it fits in the phantom very well.

Seriously, when do you decide enough is enough? As it charges and runs perfectly on the other hand...
I don't know. Do you have a battery tester than can test the voltage of the individual cells? If not, then it becomes more of a personal preference thing. It hasn't burst yet....so it's up to you as to how long your continue using it.
Eventually, they pop open, and become unusable.

Hm, from what I hear if they pop open, the burst into flames. But the charger is the Phantom one; it checks the cells and charges them all normally...

Typically with a good charger, it will show a digital read out of how many milliamps went back into it. And depending on what size battery in question will dictate the overall condition. Also, you do not want to discharge a lipo beyond 80% of its capacity, as this will ruin them. So if you take your 2200 mAh lipo down 80%, your charger will show approx. 1760 mAh's went back into it. And as the battery ages or deteriorates, the recharge value will decrease indicating is time to replace.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl