How Pro is Pro?

Hi everyone, I'm interested in getting into aerial photography and I'm considering the P3P, as I've heard and seen some good work with these units. I'm wondering if there are any folks using or considering using is for pay work? Retailers are trying to push me into the Inspire line, but I'm a one man shop at the moment and a lot of those features (ex. multiuser operations) wouldn't be used. Is the picture quality there or do I need the X5(R)?
If you are interested in using it for stills rather than video, there's no need to pay the extra for the pro.
It's camera and performance are identical to the Advanced (and the Inspire with X3 too).

Image quality isn't in the same league as a Nikon D800 because the sensor is so small but it's possible to get quite good results and the Phantom will go to a lot of places where a big SLR hasn't a hope.
For most photographic uses, the Inspire has no real advantage over the Phantom.
It's big and bulky and much more expensive. It takes time to set to and attracts a lot more attention.
It has a shorter battery life - much shorter if you add the X5 camera.
On the plus side, it has a faster top speed.

I have the P3P and am a photographer as well. I can tell you the image quality from the Phantom is not in the same realm as from my DSLR. I think some of my customers would find the quality acceptable, but not necessarily "professional". I think it compares more to a cell phone photo...even shooting in RAW (comparing against a Samsung Note 3). The x5 offers a larger sensor, more control over settings, and increased dynamic range, so that may be a better kit for professional photos.

For video on the other hand, the 4k video is amazing. People's jaws dropped when they saw my first 4k video from this thing. It really does do an amazing job.

Thanks for all the replies thus far, a lot of good information. I am hopeful that the FAA will get things worked out for the drone pilot certification, as I am not a private pilot.

Definitely the Phantom 3 Professional. Easiest setup, best camera and easiest to fly. It's the best one man drone out on the market. I bought the Executive package from Drone World, and it is the best package on internet. It is everything I needed and more. You can't go wrong. I bought mine for Christmas, have at least 12 flights already. I am still so amazed on how stable it is. No matter what altitude. Good luck and safe flying!

DJI Phantom 3 Pro/Adv Kits Bundle (In Stock & Free Ship) | Inspire 1 (Drone World)

I have a similar setup with three batteries total, four battery charger, filters, hard case, three complete sets of props, upgraded inspire 1 tablet holder, and 64gb memory card, and the whole setup cost less than 1750 bucks. Only things I don't have from that offer is a lanyard and magic white carbon props (I wont fly any prop other than a DJI yet).

As for if it is pro level, it is if you are doing single work without a camera operator. With apps like Litchi you can plot a route and control camera getting a similar result as the Inspire only you don't have 360 degree rotation on camera.

Last edited:
Reactions: Robmora33

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj