How often do you...

Reaction score
Calibrate your IMU, Gimbal, and Compass? I did the IMU and Gimbal for the first time on my P3S and P4 this morning. I always do the Compass calibration before the first flight at a new location. I then did a quick check flight and it seemed (IMO) that both birds flew better.

Sent from my SM-T813 using PhantomPilots mobile app

After the first, never unless there is a problem. Its been discussed to death on several threads there. Once you get a good calibration, yo really never need to do it again. Even moving tens or hundreds of miles away doesn't really require a recalibration. Risk doing more harm than good every time you recalibrate.

After the first, never unless there is a problem. Its been discussed to death on several threads there. Once you get a good calibration, yo really never need to do it again. Even moving tens or hundreds of miles away doesn't really require a recalibration. Risk doing more harm than good every time you recalibrate.
Thanks. I was just curious. Good to know it's something I don't need to worry about for a long time...

Sent from my SM-T813 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Whenever you update AC firmware, go for IMU calibration. Also if you land hard, you may try it again.

RC calibration is not needed but do it if you see little drifts or once in every six months to ensure all is calibrated.

Compass calibration is done once you get your AC and you may not need it again. If you get message to recalibrate, do it.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I was always under the impression that you should calibrate compass if you are a significant distance away from last calibrated location. I usually do it if I'm more than 50 miles away. Is this not true?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Personally I do it if I'm 20 miles away from my last location. Not a bad thing to do and never had any issues

Neon Euc

Took a trip to my sisters house this weekend. 5 hours away from home calibration, I fired everything up, done my preflight routine, took it up to 4' and acted just like at home. Flew perfect without calibrating. Last trip was in opposite direction 3 hours away, same thing. 60+ flights, 2 calibrations. 2nd one was a week after the first and none since. She's been flying fine and I'm not touching nothing! (Unless it needs it)

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers