How often do you replace your TX AA batteries?

I used my original Tx AA alkaline batteries for 40 flights over a three month period. I also had the Tx on multiple times for testing and calibration. At the end of this time period the Tx was still working perfectly. I removed the AA batteries and tested them with my pulse load battery tester. The tester showed the batteries still had 20% life in them. I usually discard AA alkaline batteries when they have less than 60% life.

I'm going on probably 40+ flights now with my original alkalines over a 4 month period.... and just now replacing them.

The Tx has a low battery warning response.

I wait until then.

For non-rechargeable cells anything sooner is a waste.

Very interesting question and info. I never would have thought they would last that long. Been using NiMH Bunny batteries from the start.

The generic 'coppertop' has about 2100 mAh.

The Tx drain is about 100 ma.

In a perfect world that would equate to about 21 hrs. of life.

Of course there are much improved ones available as well as other lower quality batteries with [much] less mAh.

I'm using 2000mAh NiMH rechargeables, so in theory they should be good for about 20h in the transmitter.

Yes, maybe, sort of...

The actual useable current depends on current drain rate, battery self-discharge rate, and overall battery health etc.
I'm not an expert.

But it is a good starting point for comparison.

Again, let the internal 'low batt,' warning be your friend. The need to switch out NiMh's once you get the alarm may be more urgent than for alkaline, lithium, etc. as well.

i bought 4 duracell alcaline batteries and they only lasted 4 flights...

P2- Audible beeping 1/2 Hz. or so.

P2V+ - LED turns red in concert with audible beeping.

N017RW said:
P2- Audible beeping 1/2 Hz. or so.

Note that the P2V's controller also beeps if you leave it alone without touching the controls for a while. It's easy to confuse that with the low-battery warning.

-- Roger

AndysAdventures said:
Am I the only one who charges the TX batteries before every outing?

I have the Sanyo Eneloop XX 2500mah rechargeables.

It looks like the Eneloop's (God, what a name :shock: ) are NiMh... which are generally better off if you recharge well before they are depleted. So what you're doing isn't such a bad thing.

But if you're using NiCADs, it's typically better to wait until they are nearly fully discharged before you recharge.

What I've never quite understood is... with NiMh's and all the Lithium derivatives, they have a specified number of "recharges" before they're considered "end of life". I've always assumed this meant full/deep cycles. For your Eneloops, it looks like that number is 'round about 500 recharges. So if you only discharge them, say, halfway before charging it again, does that mean you'll get 1000 recharges before the cell is "dead" (all other things being equal)? Dunno.

OK then, twice per second approx. is what I meant... 2 Hz. :lol:

AndysAdventures said:

Those are the best in terms of self-discharge rate.

So yes you are recharging [a lot] more than required but... "if it makes you happy" then have at it. ;)

N017RW said:
AndysAdventures said:

Those are the best in terms of self-discharge rate.

So yes you are recharging [a lot] more than required but... "if it makes you happy" then have at it. ;)

:D Yeah, I feel better knowing that all of my batteries are fully charged. Including my phone which I keep at 100% with a car charger while driving to the flight location.

I think I'll retire the Eneloop XX batteries to a TV/DVD/Cable remote control or an R/C car in about a year. What can I say, I'm a bit crazy about my batteries.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20