How not to crash P3S?

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am a beginner and I 've been reading your posts almost for a week, mostly about fpvlr vs dbs and some other stuff. Before P3S, I was flying MJX101 and Syma X8. I had the action cameras with them. But unfortunately, Both of them just flew away in front of my eyes. I couldn't control them at all even with a Line of sight. The remote didnt work apperantly because of interference. You know the cheap ones, Once they are disconnected, they just keep flying. That's why I wanted to purchase DJI. For GPS and return home feature. My question to you, expert users, what should I do not to crash or lose my DJI? Any tip you want to share? I am still upset about my lost quadcopters and that's why I still cannot fly my DJI further than 300meters. I am just scared to lose the connection and lose my drone. Any advise to a beginner like me?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Get a GPS tracker, if you want, in case of a flyaway.
Make sure to stay AWAY from power lines - they can be hard to see on FPV!

Baby steps
Read the manual
Use beginner mode until you are comfortable
Triple check everything like settings props batteries ect
relax and take you time

Some more tips:
make sure to set your RTH altitude before each flight based on surroundings
if you lose video signal, don't panic; wait for a few sec, then just hit RTH and wait for signal/bird to come back
Always check antenna positioning

find a friend with more experience that can help you! It's fun to have other people to fly with and you can get some great advice.

Sent from my iPod touch using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: GodFear17
Trust the RTH feature
Turn off beginner mode, bight the bullet and send it out
It will loose signal and come back!
Just make sure it has updated its home location before you launch it
The first time is the hardest but the RTH feature works
The wait for it to come back is hard but it will come back!

Reactions: dirkclod
The most important advice for new pilots is:

The Phantom 3 is much easier to fly than you imagine.
The trick is to not let this fool you into getting too adventurous too early.
Do your early flights in a large open area, well away from trees, buildings and obstacles.
Be afraid, very afraid of trees, buildings etc. They are involved in most incidents.
Read up on return to home procedures, practise using RTH and cancelling it so you understand how it works and how you can resume control in an RTH situation.

Reactions: Dirty Bird
Thanks for the great advices. I am usually going to the beach to fly it. I think at least once, I should fly it to the maximum distance and see if RTH feature is working. Thanks Cruiser.
DroneDestimation; why should I get the GPS tracker? I know that P3S already has GPS. If it crashes, I was thinking that I could find the final distance from the app. What do you think?

You can, but I only said that because you said you were scared of flyaways (very rare). If the P3 loses signal, but keeps going, a tracker could help you find it faster, but is not necessary.

Trust the RTH feature
Turn off beginner mode, bight the bullet and send it out
It will loose signal and come back!
Just make sure it has updated its home location before you launch it
The first time is the hardest but the RTH feature works
The wait for it to come back is hard but it will come back!
Your right I was scared the first time but the baby came back home.

JOIN THE AMA! ModelAircraft.org !!!

I can't express how much more fun you will have in learning if you join the AMA and find an AMA flying field around you and hook up with those guys, YOU will learn TONS more in one day of flying with those guys than you will in a month of flying on your own!

Learn the settings for Return to home, and learn to trust it, it works very well. But I cannot express the better option is getting with the AMA, you get insurance should you cause damage and you get the ability to fly at AMA sanctioned fields, which are a ton of fun to fly at.

Thanks for the great advices. I am usually going to the beach to fly it. I think at least once, I should fly it to the maximum distance and see if RTH feature is working. Thanks Cruiser.
DroneDestimation; why should I get the GPS tracker? I know that P3S already has GPS. If it crashes, I was thinking that I could find the final distance from the app. What do you think?

Take it a few feet away and shut off your remote that's what I did to test the RTH when I got it.

if you don't go far enough from the home point, it won't RTH, it'll just land, so be careful!

In beginner mod as well, I tried RTH like 10 times and it just kept landing wherever it was, then I took beginner mode off for the first time and gave myself a heart attack when it flew up to 100ft lol.

Reactions: dpicx68
The phantoms sends data and live camera to your remote. Your mobile device connects to your remote with WIFI. Your mobile device logs your flight. When you loose your data your flight log stops. You of coarse may still be able to control it because your remote is transmitting to the Phantom. When the Phantom looses the signal from the remote control it supposed to activate RTH settings.

When I fly around my house RTH will activate quite often. My trees are 100' and up. So my RTH setting is at 200' (61m).

I lost my P2V+ in the woods 1 hr drive from my house, I had lost my data in about 2 mins, I continued to fly it because I was recording video and was making a circle in valley and was going to back over me. But it just seem to get farther away. May have been a upper level wind. Within 6 mins it was gone but I could hear the props by the time I drove close enough to look and listen it had stopped. So I think it got stuck in some trees. RTH doesn't work if it is caught in a tree. The last place it showed where it was is the last location of the incoming data. I am now using the Marco-Polo no monthly fees and doesn't use cellular.

RC Model Tracking and Recovery - Pet Tracking Made Easy | Marco Polo The Pet Tracking System

Thank you all. Today I tried RTH. It looks like my max distance is 700mt in open environment, not 1000mt as advertised. I totally lost connection for about 3 minutes after disconnected. It felt like 30minutes to me. I was desperate and totally was thinking that I lost my Phantom. After 3mins, like Gandalf the white, it appeared on the horizon :) I added screenshots of the application showing where I disconnected and where connected again. I don't know if playing with thw buttons would make the reconnection faster?
8880e33e64443e64bb312a304aa5cbb8.jpg
1d607c92922ba762885e25b5a7240dc0.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers