How necessary is a tracker for the P3?

Well avoid any of the cheap bluetooth solutions unless you just fly close by. Distance is limited.

The Flytrex live solution is dependent on coverage. Wont work where I am at as Tmobile coverage sucks.

I chose Marco Polo tracker with a UAV transmitter option. Works well and does not require cell service.

I was considering the Flytrex option until Tahoe Ed posted that if you open the Phantom you void the warranty, not sure if you could have it installed by main dealer and keep the warranty intact?

in the end I went for the RF-V16 GPS Tracker, here is a link to the review I found

I ordered off eBay for about £22 it has been shipped but is coming from China so not sure when I will get it, I was actually worried about getting the P3A first but im not sure that will now be an issue... :(
How much are your monthly fees?

The real cost here is the monthly service fees, so what strategies have people found to get the best deal on monthly service? I would pay more for a tracker if in the longrun it will be much cheaper on monthly costs. I'm looking for the lowest cost over the life of the device.

The real cost here is the monthly service fees, so what strategies have people found to get the best deal on monthly service? I would pay more for a tracker if in the longrun it will be much cheaper on monthly costs. I'm looking for the lowest cost over the life of the device.
I'm leaning towards the trackimo since it's 1 year included and then $60/year after that. I think that's the cheapest that uses cell service.

does the trackimo weigh enough to make where you place it matter? I know its only about an ounce and a half, I just don't know what the phantom can handle without it affecting its flight characteristics

Yeah you void the warranty by installing one, but I'd rather know where my bird is after it flies away and try to make a claim w/ the proof than try to prove it was a fly away without being able to find the bird!

I had one on my P2V and kept it when I sold the quad last week. This tracker works great and is very accurate. It comes with one year of tracking and then is $5 a month after that. The battery charge is good for 48-72 hours and the unit is motion sensitive, so it saves battery power by sending the last known location and then waits until it moves to start sending further locations. You can set up Geo-fences, speed, area, and timed location updates. You get unlimited email & text updates and 30 SMS updates per month. What I like is I do not have to go thru the hassle of voiding my warranty and cracking the case to set it up, just register it, stick it on the bird, and fly. It does have an SOS button for emergency but this is more for tracking your kids. And it works worldwide, anywhere cell service is available, the GPS is spot on. IOS and Android apps now available. You can set the large geo-fence for say 2 miles, and if it exceeds that then you get and update every minute until it stops moving, then if it moves again, like someone picked it up, it will send more updates. The update is a link to the online map that pinpoints the links position. Amazon has then from the company here http://www.amazon.com/Trackimo-trk1...X698/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=A2MCHRSCTWYX7J

Flytrex for me - used one on my P2V+ and it works really well.

Not sure why DJI now say opening the Phantom will void warranty. It was standard practice and very much allowed on the P2...

Funny you should ask. I was flying in a local park this past weekend and when I got home I realized I had lost my tracking module off my FC40, which is held on by Velcro. When I was about to write it off I said to my self, self, this is a tracking device, use it to find your lost module, dummy. So off I went back to the park, powered up the crt device and sure enough it pointed to a spot in the park. As I walked in the direction of the arrow on the display screen the percentage increased from 10% to 99% then the arrow reversed and the % began to decrease. So I backtracked until the % was at 99 again and looked down and there it was. The tracking module is only about 1 inch long and I would have never found it otherwise. So, does it work. Darn right it does. I now have faith that if I ever really lose my Phantom, I should be able to track it down.

Here it is http://www.amazon.com/Marco-Polo-Monitoring-Tracking-Locating/dp/B008MG5GRQ

I'll be using my rf v16 tracker on the P3, very small and accurate but i will need to velcro it somewhere because the gimbal protector/holder i use on the vision+ will get in the way of the sensors underneath the P3.
9tnvxw.jpg
I have also use it. It is very light (26gr) and cheap...

I have no experience w/ that tracker, but if its GSM and takes a micro SIM then yes.
Ok, I did verify that the RF-V16 tracker uses GSM micro-sim card. That being the case . . . I should be able to follow your directions above and make this work, right?

Ok, I did verify that the RF-V16 tracker uses GSM micro-sim card. That being the case . . . I should be able to follow your directions above and make this work, right?
Correct. Best advice I can give is to read that whole thread, there are other tips from others who've done it, and don't let the reps tell you it isn't possible. good luck!

For those who have a Flytrex 3G....I've been told by Flytrex that they in incompatible with the P3. They are taking pre-orders for a "new" Flytrex 3g for the Inspire and P3...get ready to open your wallets. o_O Also, DJI is standing firm about not opening your P3 shell...they claim that the flytrex could interfere with the GPS. At least thats the line DJI support is saying. I'm curious as to if there is any tamper-proof tabs, stickers, etc...in the P3.

flytrex_3g_p3.jpg

Yeah you void the warranty by installing one, but I'd rather know where my bird is after it flies away and try to make a claim w/ the proof than try to prove it was a fly away without being able to find the bird!

It wont matter what you can prove because it will no longer be under warranty and dji will just blame the Flytrex for the fly away.

I realize that Flytrex provided lots of other information, but I believe the new P3 will provide this information as standard now, so taking that out of the equation what other benefits will it offer over other trackers out there that do not require opening up the phantom.

I am not in anyway criticizing your choice to stick with flytrex, I am totally new to this and am genuinely interested.

It wont matter what you can prove because it will no longer be under warranty and dji will just blame the Flytrex for the fly away.

I realize that Flytrex provided lots of other information, but I believe the new P3 will provide this information as standard now, so taking that out of the equation what other benefits will it offer over other trackers out there that do not require opening up the phantom.

I am not in anyway criticizing your choice to stick with flytrex, I am totally new to this and am genuinely interested.
Regarding my comment on warranty after flyaway, it was more to the fact that you have no claim with no bird, at least there's something to work with if you find the flyaway. Just my opinion. Anyway..
the realtime positioning independent of the app is pretty invaluable IMO. I can't tell you the number of times I've whipped out my cell and checked the flytrex app when phantom connection breaks or I lose control signal.
Personal record tracking is pretty cool too, as is the real time telemetry data automatically backed up to the server.
I dunno, just makes everything seamless IMO and I like that.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj