How Near is "Near"?

Reaction score
FAA recommendations say to not fly "near" a wildfire (or disaster, I would think). I can understand interference with potential air tanker activity over major fires, not getting in the path of air ambulances and not getting in the way of ground crews or endangering them, but how near is "near"?

500 meters (quarter of a mile)?

1000 meters (half a mile)?

It's one of those subjective terms that really should be defined by someone who is making up these guidelines.

Assuming there are no aircraft related to the emergency operating in the area, that vagueness is why I think it would be difficult for that charge to hold up in court. especially if you flight log showed you stayed well away from any first responders, their vehicles and the property involved.

Guidelines and Rules evolve over period of time, they always start with the "intent". Current intention is to keep away from the safety operations and let guards do their work.

Reactions: Numone and BigAl07
I think that "vagueness" is exactly what would make it stick. All they have to do is prove you flew reckless or impeded some type of process and your goose is cooked. Very little leniency when it comes to Public Safety operations.

Reactions: Numone
In my opinion, if you are near enough to to these things be noticed, then you are too near. None of us need another story in the media. :) happy flying!

Reactions: JoBe
In my opinion, if you are near enough to to these things be noticed, then you are too near. None of us need another story in the media. :) happy flying!
I agree. It seems that drone operators are guilty until proven innocent, so it's best to not tempt them even if you are technically outside of the TFR boundaries.

A TFR is usually set up which show the area. Other than that, you can't interfere with the fighting of the fire. I'd say, depending on the size of the fire at least a mile at low altitude.

We have had fires here where the aircraft have to travel some distance to resupply with water .That can be 2-3 km sometimes more and usually at low altitude .

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20