How much wind is too much?

Reaction score
I'm new to drones and have zero prior experience with RC aircraft. I picked up my P4 yesterday and have had it up for two 2 minute flights so far, never getting more than 15' in the air (I don't have much room in my back yard). I want to get some flight time in and start learning to maneuver safely but the wind is pretty consistently pushing 20+ MPH today. I've got a pretty open area near by the house I can take it out but I'm a little nervous about trying it.

How much wind is too much? I have no intentions of launching it 200' in the air until I'm really comfortable with everything but I don't want it to get slammed into a tree or something by a strong gust. It's handled the wind pretty well in my back yard so far, I just have no experience to know if it would be a bad idea to get it out or just wait for calmer winds.

Reactions: John Lo
DJI does not recommend flying in winds over 22 MPH. It's possible to fly in winds greater than that, but it's not recommended.

When flying in a confined area when it's windy, you need to watch that your Phantom does not auto flip to ATTI mode. If that happens, it'll drift with the wind instead of using GPS to hold its position. If you're not aware the mode switched, you could quickly drift into a nearby obstacle.

my P4 just finished charging so we shall see shortly ;) if the p4 can go 45, i would say i can probably handle 20 + but should be interesting to see. im not willing to push it yet.

over 12 I don't fly

Thanks for the replies. I'm definitely taking it slowly here until I get comfortable, I was just curious what more experienced pilots were comfortable with. Here's my short flight from today, not very exciting but at least I didn't crash it.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Dirty Bird
I just purchased a P4 today. I've had two P1's, and one P2 before this one.

One of the reasons for this purchase (among many) is the more powerful battery which will allow it to perform better in higher winds. I try to avoid high winds when possible, but I've had 2 flights where it was worth risking the Phantom to get the shot. Both times, I was shocked how well it did. These were 20+ MPH winds. On one, I was up 400 feet and it was a very gusty day. I knew it would be even more windy up high. While getting the shot, a gust actually caused the Phantom to flip! It immediately recovered, but naturally, freaked me out. At that point, I considered what I had to be good enough.

For a beginner, I actually think the most risky thing is in the video above - playing with the camera facing towards you. With all controls reversed and not looking at a screen, it's something I can't do.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic