How Much Trouble Am I In?

Reaction score
I'm considering getting a DJI Phantom for use with a GoPro Hero3 (Black Edition). The cost is pretty reasonable considering how much you get but...

There seem to be a bunch of things people are adding on and I'm concerned that I've only seen the smallest portion of the picture. That I'm heading down a path of spending lots of hobby money. Not that I won't do it, but I'd like some idea where I'm going before I start down the path.

Here are things I've observed:

• The Phantom seems to come with a GoPro mount, but no stabilization or gimbal. Does that mean I'm going to have a bunch of video shot with the camera pointing the wrong way? Does it mean my video will be shaky?
  • There is the Zenmuse gimbal, which appears to cost about the same price as the Phantom itself. Questions: 1) Is it worth it; and 2) Does it stabilize the video?
  • There appears to be a DJI Phantom with a built-on camera. Is this preferable to the GoPro? Does it have stabilization and/or directional (gimbal) ability?

I'm sure I'm not asking all or even the right questions, but here's one last one: Are these things crashing and/or breaking or is it as easy as it looks? I'd like to fly it off beachside cliffs and things like that.

Thanks!

All of your questions can be answered to a large degree, by reading through the threads on this forum, and on relevant threads at RCgroups.com
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1774685
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2019429
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2048910

The answers are not all "black and white", but varying degrees of gray.

sxross said:
I'm considering getting a DJI Phantom for use with a GoPro Hero3 (Black Edition). The cost is pretty reasonable considering how much you get but...

There seem to be a bunch of things people are adding on and I'm concerned that I've only seen the smallest portion of the picture. That I'm heading down a path of spending lots of hobby money. Not that I won't do it, but I'd like some idea where I'm going before I start down the path.

• The Phantom seems to come with a GoPro mount, but no stabilization or gimbal. Does that mean I'm going to have a bunch of video shot with the camera pointing the wrong way? Does it mean my video will be shaky?
  • There is the Zenmuse gimbal, which appears to cost about the same price as the Phantom itself. Questions: 1) Is it worth it; and 2) Does it stabilize the video?
  • There appears to be a DJI Phantom with a built-on camera. Is this preferable to the GoPro? Does it have stabilization and/or directional (gimbal) ability?

I'm sure I'm not asking all or even the right questions, but here's one last one: Are these things crashing and/or breaking or is it as easy as it looks? I'd like to fly it off beachside cliffs and things like that.

Thanks!

Adam get your Phantom as it is stock .. start flying and filming ... you will evolve and find your path soon .... stop worying .... you sound like you have a fix date with a beutyfull blond and you worry about what bidjamas she wears in bed ....

gimble is nice but not mantadory

sxross said:

Thanks!

sxross said:

Thanks!

-yes,. with the stock Phantom with stock GoPro mount, you will have shaky video, especially if you fly in windy conditions.
-the zenmus gimbal has come down in price in recent weeks ($379 us), still pricey, but there are other gimbals out there to consider when looking for a gimbal
-the one with built in camera does not have a gimbal - same problem of shaky video.

as mentioned, read all the threads on the subjects. start off learning as much as you can, then start blowing more and more money on it :D (FPV, with OSD, is something you might also find yourself wanting down the line)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20