How much to charge?

This thread has been an interesting read.

But it sounds like (for now at least), that you still need a pilot's license to obtain FAA blessing for commercial use for small quadcopters? I'm not talking about movie studios and Amazon, I'm talking about what 99% of do (small jobs).

I, too, was under the impressions that within the last month or two there was a process for non-pilots to get certification...

It will be once the NPRM closes and the rules are finalized. There will be some regulation (ground school, TSA, HS, registration, etc.) but a PPL is almost certainly to be eliminated.

But it sounds like (for now at least), that you still need a pilot's license to obtain FAA blessing for commercial use for small quadcopters?
You will always need an airman certificate. It's required by US law. See the following link:

https://www.faa.gov/uas/what_can_you_do_with_your_uas

In the FAA's proposed rules for SUAS, they are creating a new airman certificate that does not require flying a plane to obtain.

Even though, skirting around the law does not make it legal. And, as TuckNRollMedia pointed out, clients will blacklist you in some industries. At that point, you probably won't be able to find any business -- even, if you do get the proper exemption later.

Most of the entertainment industry doesn't know / doesn't care.

Most of the entertainment industry doesn't know / doesn't care.
If only judging by the exemptions that have been approved already, the entertainment industry represents a very small percentage of those who want to use SUAS commercially.

I think we can all agree most of this is pretty ridiculous to begin with. I am ALL for a 4 hour instructor led class that costs a couple hundred bucks or whatever to become certified to fly commercially within certain restrictions.
The cost will help keep random dudes off the street from doing it, and the time commitment as well.
It doesnt need to be this hard, but of course the government is reactionary in almost every case.
A guy can fly a gryo on the white house lawn without being shot down, but I cant make 100 bucks off flying my drone 20 feet above the ground around a house.
pretty ridiculous.

I think we can all agree most of this is pretty ridiculous to begin with.
It would be rare to find someone that does not agree. And, if they do disagree, it's probably related to them somehow losing money.

These are the current rules though. And, the FAA is working to make it easier. They just don't work as quickly as we'd all like :)

I dont think they are working to make it easier, they are working to selfishly ensure their own profitability or additional government control.
There has never been a government entity not looking out for their best interest first, and the consumer/citizen second.
They could push through legislation tomorrow if they wanted to, but its not in their best interest to do so.
wow i sound like Glenn Beck haha

I dont think they are working to make it easier, they are working to selfishly ensure their own profitability or additional government control.
Odd viewpoint. They already have an absurd amount of control. The new rules will relax much of that and make it extremely easy for nearly anyone to fly a SUAS commercially.

Ill hold my judgement until it truly shakes out... Im not overly confident in the govts ability to be fair and impartial :)

If I want to take some photos or a video for someone on his property and under his authorization the hell with the FFFF If he likes the photos and video he can decide for himself if he wants to pay for them or not. Do we need a license to buy a flower for a woman soon??? Sorry for you folks in the US, but that is typical US double standards.

If I want to take some photos or a video for someone on his property and under his authorization the hell with the FFFF If he likes the photos and video he can decide for himself if he wants to pay for them or not. Do we need a license to buy a flower for a woman soon??? Sorry for you folks in the US, but that is typical US double standards.

Which country are you in djphantom2015, where this sort of rule does not apply yet ?

Most all developed countries have at least somewhat reasonable rules in place. The US is the only one to not have any regulations that are crafted specifically to incorporate drone use into the airspace.

When the FAA was asked why this was taking so long during a Senate hearing, their answer was that US airspace is special and somehow different than any other country's airspace. When asked to explain how it was so special, they could not provide any concrete difference.

Meanwhile, the FAA has done nothing to deal with the exploding amateur use of drones. Their primary focus should be to educate and inform the public about safe use. Instead, their focus has been entirely on slamming the door shut on commercial use and then dragging their feet. All the incidents that you hear about are not commercial use.

A 333 exemption is a quagmire. To have to learn to fly a plane and get N numbers for your drone is the pinnacle of absurdity.

The better part of any good photograper's trade is timing and discretion. I do not know what the FAA, or government designates private property as, and I think that flying over same at a VERY low altitude plane wise would not be an issue. But since the gummint regulates all things on, over, and under private property, nothing is written in stone.

Photographers have been instantly canonized for just being at the right time and place since photography started. Experience can hone that so one gets more "keeper" photos, but a lot of accidental photos are "legend" photos. And those taken by discreet photograpers are just as good as those taken by photograpers in your face or in the bushes.

What's the gist? For me, I'd just be discreet, time shoots for times when there might be the least resistance, and if you meet with resistance, either state your authority for being there, or retreat and return.

As for what to charge, I would have a day rate for equipment, and an hourly for shooting, prep, and editing. WITH MINIMUMS. Equipment charge would vary due to your particular cost of operation plus something to toss into a fund for when there are costly problems. Standard wear and tear. Hourly on flying, prep, and editing are up to what the going rate is and what you want to make. On the topic of flying ..... that is a special skill that is not cheap. To report with a few thousand dollars of equipment is not cheap, either, and if YOU stuff one, the client isn't going to pay for it.

Some jobs and people will be so easy, you will feel guilty taking the money. Others, you are just trying to finish and get away from it.

Last note ....... personally, within your own head, decide what amount of discount you will have so if someone counters with a lower price, you will know how much you can go, and where the "WE WORK FOR FREE" boundary is.

For me, if it interrupts fishing or nap time, I like to make minimum $100 an hour,

Hi guys,

I have been around long enough, especially in video production, to know that if it takes a certain certification to fly LEGALLY and SAFELY, you should do it regardless of the cost or the time or the effort. Because later, you won't feel like a sneaky drug dealer, constantly looking over your shoulder for the FUZZ while trying to get work done for your clients. That type of (let's just say it) lazy mentality removes the fun of the job and distracts you from doing your best

Here's the problem with that. Even if you have a valid 333 exemption (which is still difficult to get), a licensed pilot and after the Part 107 rules are effective sometime next year, you still have to deal with the LEO, Barney Fife.

Last note ....... personally, within your own head, decide what amount of discount you will have so if someone counters with a lower price, you will know how much you can go, and where the "WE WORK FOR FREE" boundary is.

For me, if it interrupts fishing or nap time, I like to make minimum $100 an hour,

I disagree with most of your rant about government, but your last sentence is spot on. I shoot a lot of commercial videography, mostly interviews or meetings. Almost always with two cameras, tripods, lights as necessary and cases of "just in case" gear. I won't leave the studio for less than $250, and that has to be a pretty simple run-n-gun shoot.

When it comes to drone photography and videography the equipment manhandling and setup is much less than cameras and tripods, so like "steve", above, $100 per hour for a local Phantom project is about right.

BTW, I will never be the low bidder on a project. If I am, then I missed something in the proposal and I will be sorry down the road. If a client is shopping for the lowest price, then I really don't want that client. In my experience, those are the most difficult clients of all.

Oh, I love your "'We work for free' boundary" - a perfect description of minimum pricing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20