How much power consumption is normal or too much?

Reaction score
Recently I had a video mission over a massive canyon with some gusty winds but not prohibitive (or so I thought). It was flown FPV with my P3P. While flying for about 4 minutes with a battery capacity of about 80% I all of a sudden saw a warning message pop up indicating low battery power!

Since I was flying thousands of feet over the canyon floor I got real nervous, slowed down and started to head back home without much delay. The battery remaining capacity continued to be normal and the flight turned out to be successful in the end although shortened quite a bit.

Analyzing the data in the end indicated a power consumption spike exceeding 350 watts (about 24.5amps). I have never seen such a power consumption spike before.

I pulled the dat file and put it into dashware but I aside from seeing the spike, I can not find a good reason for it. Also, I am not sure I am using the proper templates.

Any help and thoughts anyone?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
Here is a video (screen capture) section of the flight where the power consumption nearly doubled without any apparent reason.

Maybe the P3 got caught in a down draft? The motor speeds had been climbing with no change in altitude. The speed hadn't been constant so that complicates matters.

Maybe the increase in RPM combined with an increase in load was more substantial than it appears simply looking at raw numbers. It just makes me uncomfortable to see the spike and get the battery message fly by on the display. Sure felt weirded while flying nearly 4000 feet above the canyon floor..

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4