How much play is in your P2V gimbal (video related)

"Hopefully someone prices their multi axis gimbal right in the near future so I can be done with the stock gimbal setup."

I'm hoping the exact same thing!

Mine was also about 3/4 turn loose and seems more stable now. While we are on the camera subject, anyway of changing the pitch of the camera? I want it to point more straight out, not so much down. Will the software do this?

Warninger said:
Mine was also about 3/4 turn loose and seems more stable now. While we are on the camera subject, anyway of changing the pitch of the camera? I want it to point more straight out, not so much down. Will the software do this?

Yes 1000 -825 -825 in gimbal settings is where I have mine and it points straight out.

gfredrone said:
Warninger said:

Yes 1000 -825 -825 in gimbal settings is where I have mine and it points straight out.

Hmmm, have you had those settings for long? I'm wondering if they were pushing the servo a little hard against the stop, might that have something to do with the stripped gear? I've not actually looked at the internals so don't know if that might be relevant. I've set my extremes slightly back from yours because I felt the gimbal was trying to go beyond the stop at those numbers (of course they are probably all very slightly different).

About 5 flights.

When setting it up on the benchtop I made sure not to push the servo to its hard stop (where the camera housing hits the gimbal housing) except one time. I tried -950 at first and worked my way down from there until the camera was level with the ground. At -950 the housings touched but I only did this once.

On my unit, at -825, the top position is parallel with the ground and there is a good bit of space between the camera housing and gimbal housing.

gmtx said:
I just checked the screw on my gimbal and it sure feels like it's stripped. It turns freely and then sticks a little and then turns freely again. The gimbal seems solid though - no wiggle - so now I don't know what to think. I hate to RMA another one and I haven't even flown the thing yet!

Stripped? And you never removed it? That's hard to believe...

I think you should proceed with caution and not assume it's not exactly as designed. I am not sure it's supposed to be tightened down all the way. Perhaps being a little lose gives the camera some room to correct its orientation without the gimbal motor firing.

After all, it's positioned as if it's meant to be adjusted...

Yeah, I've just left it alone. And no,I didn't remove it until I had tried tightening it - very gently. Figured I'd take a look at the threads once it wouldn't tighten, and they looked OK. Went flying today and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary with the gimbal, but I'm so new to all this I really have no point of reference. Guess I'll just keep an eye on it.

gfredrone said:
I noticed after a very jello ridden video tonight that my gimbal seems to have some play where it connects to the servo. If I grab the camera and hold the plate above it firm I can tilt the camera about a cm each way. Is this normal and something I am just noticing?

Also is anyone getting color flickering in your video? Some of the trees I filmed tonight were flickering different shades of green (the sun was behind the camera). I also had some banding across the video when the sun hit the lens at a certian angle.

Do white balance and the anti-flicker settings work while recording video?

Check the gimble locator stud right hand side, looking at the camera, servo drives lefthand side and there's a pivot pin located on the left.....haven't had any heavy landings or crashes? I've seared this plastic pivot off the gimble check to see if it's exceptionally loose on the righthand side facing the camera

dbcch said:
gmtx said:
I just checked the screw on my gimbal and it sure feels like it's stripped. It turns freely and then sticks a little and then turns freely again. The gimbal seems solid though - no wiggle - so now I don't know what to think. I hate to RMA another one and I haven't even flown the thing yet!

Stripped? And you never removed it? That's hard to believe...

I think you should proceed with caution and not assume it's not exactly as designed. I am not sure it's supposed to be tightened down all the way. Perhaps being a little lose gives the camera some room to correct its orientation without the gimbal motor firing.

After all, it's positioned as if it's meant to be adjusted...

Take it apart and you will see it is supposed to be tight. The plastic piece the screw goes through is the only thing holding the gimbal gear to the camera housing (minus the black pivot peg on the other side). The plastic gear insert piece is stationary (squared at bottom) while the metal gimbal gear rotates and moves the camera. I believe the teeth of the metal gimbal gear are too aggressive for whatever plastic material they are using for the insert causing the plastic teeth to wear out. What made it worse in my case was the plastic insert had backed off the metal gear and was causing slippage thus further wear.

My new bird will be here Monday all for a piece that probably costs less than a penny to produce. Sorry Amazon I tried contacting DJI but didn't get a response.

I've been ignoring this thread because in my mind the contraption under the stock P2V isn't a real gimbal.

Finally read it and realized what everyone's talking about.

Thanks for the tips on tightening the screw, and where the dang screw is in the first place.

Twice after flying I have found the little plastic cover on the side of the gimbal sticking out and almost ready to fall off. Pulled it off and found the screw loose under the cover as pictured. It was just pure luck that the cover and screw didn't both fall away in flight. I tightened it snugly both times, but the second time put a very tiny dab of blue (removable) threadlocker on it.

Attachments

• IMG_4230.jpg
    IMG_4230.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 379
Thanks for the pic. I haven't opened mine up to tighten it yet.

That screw angle looks odd - like you couldn't easily get a screwdriver on it.
Maybe it's the photo angle.

El Rey said:
Thanks for the pic. I haven't opened mine up to tighten it yet.

That screw angle looks odd - like you couldn't easily get a screwdriver on it.
Maybe it's the photo angle.

Yup. The screw has completely backed out. You should be seeing just the head...

-slinger

I had a relatively bumpy landing. Upon going to pick up P2V i noted the camera was detached from the gimbal. Seems my screw had completely backed out and now the strew, plastic threaded bushing are missing; along with the cover. I had not seen this thread, otherwise i most certainly would have checked the tightness of the screw.

I've emailed DJI customer service since I'm unable to find the part to purchase. I've owned it for about three weeks. I hate to send it back for just this part; especially since i decided to paint the body black (much easier to see up in the sky BTW).

I'm at a quandary at this point. I believe I bought it from UAV Direct. Maybe they can canibalize one of their in stock Vision's rather than me asking to send the whole thing back for a ten cent part.

For now it's flying with the camera in one orientation, using gorilla tape to hold it affixed to the mount. Kind of sucks. I've ordered a gimbal from dronexperts.de, but i'm backordered until mid March I believe.

Suggestions??

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie