How much interference is too much?

Reaction score
Hi

I'm having huge issues with 'no signal' and then 'disconnected' once my aircraft goes about 25-30 meters away from me.
I had upgraded to 1.6.8 out of the box, then after researching I was told to go back to 1.5.7 so I did, without success.
After research and testing I ended up sending my drone back to DJI who said the problem was fixed with an upgrade to 1.6.8
I get the drone back, and the problem still remains.

I've tried with stock antenna's and also the ARGTEK setup - with no difference between the two.

I thought it was because the aircraft was too close to me, so I pushed it as far away as I dare, almost completely out of sight, but the video signal never came back.
I can still control the drone and I can do a RTH by flicking S2 back and forth. It's only the video feed that drops out.
Yet strangely - on the app, the WiFi signal strength bar is strong with all 4 bars lit up, but the controller signal strength bar has nothing. I would have thought the controller signal icon was for the controller, and the WiFi signal bar was for the WiFi video feed? But it seems to be around the other way?

I was flying in a park, by a lake, about 300meters away from any buildings.

Below is a WiFi analyzer app on my phone showing the various WiFi networks around. Are these causing the issues? Even though they're so weak? How do other people fly their drones in places other than in the middle of no-where? Seems so sensitive to even the smallest interference.

Attachments

• wifi.png
    wifi.png
    701.2 KB · Views: 464
Hi

I'm having huge issues with 'no signal' and then 'disconnected' once my aircraft goes about 25-30 meters away from me.
I had upgraded to 1.6.8 out of the box, then after researching I was told to go back to 1.5.7 so I did, without success.
After research and testing I ended up sending my drone back to DJI who said the problem was fixed with an upgrade to 1.6.8

I've tried with stock antenna's and also the ARGTEK setup - with no difference between the two.

I thought it was because the aircraft was too close to me, so I pushed it as far away as I dare, almost completely out of sight, but the video signal never came back.
I can still control the drone and I can do a RTH by flicking S2 back and forth. It's only the video feed that drops out.
Yet strangely - on the app, the WiFi signal strength bar is strong with all 4 bars lit up, but the controller signal strength bar has nothing. I would have thought the controller signal icon was for the controller, and the WiFi signal bar was for the WiFi video feed? But it seems to be around the other way?

Below is a WiFi analyzer app on my phone showing the various WiFi networks around. Are these causing the issues? Even though they're so weak? How do other people fly their drones in places other than in the middle of no-where? Seems so sensitive to even the smallest interference.
Wow, that wifi app is off the charts compared to mine when I check it out at locations I'm flying. I get Maybe 3 to 5 signals simultaneously the most. Don't know where you're flying but it sure looks like a dense urban area based on the Wi-Fi app. If that's the case you would have been much better suited to buy an advanced model that uses lightbridge.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hi

Yes, there a lot of wi-fi networks shown on the analyser but they are very low signal strength Your phantom should be up in the -20db area. Well mine is and I am 'urban'. Could be that there are stronger networks around that you are not seeing on the analyser because they are not broadcasting their SSID.

Wow, that wifi app is off the charts compared to mine when I check it out at locations I'm flying. I get Maybe 3 to 5 signals simultaneously the most. Don't know where you're flying but it sure looks like a dense urban area based on the Wi-Fi app. If that's the case you would have been much better suited to buy an advanced model that uses lightbridge.

Yeah there are a bunch of apartment buildings - the closest being just over 400 meters away.
I'm very disappointed to find out that I can't fly my drone within 400 meters of any WiFi signals.
I bought the ARGTEK mod hoping it would help - but it hasn't.
I've tried the MagicPower mod (that's supposed to boost the DB level of the aircraft and the controller, hoping it would give me more range before the video feed cut out) but I have not been able to apply it.

I wish the salesman at the store I bought it from had said (and I also think DJI need to put it on the box) that the drone will not work unless you're out in the country with no other WiFi signals around.
Makes this a waste of $800 for me if I can't use it without taking a 2 hour drive.

Yeah there are a bunch of apartment buildings - the closest being just over 400 meters away.
I'm very disappointed to find out that I can't fly my drone within 400 meters of any WiFi signals.
I bought the ARGTEK mod hoping it would help - but it hasn't.
I've tried the MagicPower mod (that's supposed to boost the DB level of the aircraft and the controller, hoping it would give me more range before the video feed cut out) but I have not been able to apply it.

I wish the salesman at the store I bought it from had said (and I also think DJI need to put it on the box) that the drone will not work unless you're out in the country with no other WiFi signals around.
Makes this a waste of $800 for me if I can't use it without taking a 2 hour drive.
I'm sure you can get away from the urban area in less than a 2 hour drive. Don't think they intended it to be flown so close to an urban area, they are really meant to fly out in an open area. You may seen youtube videos of in close to cities, but I bet those are not the P3S.

I'm sure you can get away from the urban area in less than a 2 hour drive. Don't think they intended it to be flown so close to an urban area, they are really meant to fly out in an open area. You may seen youtube videos of in close to cities, but I bet those are not the P3S.

Thanks for the reply.
It should have been brought to my attention that they are meant to fly in an open area only. Especially as I bought it from a store right in the heart of the CBD - not in one of the suburbs. Poor sales ethics and poor advertising by DJI.
I don't really have access to a car (as public transport is generally enough in Melbourne) so it will take me a long time to get far enough away where there's no buildings for more than 400 meters.

There's loads of videos of people with the P3S flying in populated areas seemingly without issue. e.g.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

and

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

For example....

Not trying to disagree with you, really. But the first video is a P3S using a DBS antenna mod., so it's not stock. And the second one are all in close short flights. Most, (not all) youtube videos within an urban area are normally the P3A, P3P or a modified P3S. Get a DBS, it's better than the ARGTEK. Or upgrade to the Advance.

Not trying to disagree with you, really. But the first video is a P3S using a DBS antenna mod., so it's not stock. And the second one are all in close short flights. Most, (not all) youtube videos within an urban area are normally the P3A, P3P or a modified P3S. Get a DBS, it's better than the ARGTEK. Or upgrade to the Advance.

No worries.
The first video he is stock. He does have a link to his DBS range test - perhaps that's where the confusion came from?
Yeah I am willing to upgrade and buy the Advanced if the store will take back my standard.

No worries.
The first video he is stock. He does have a link to his DBS range test - perhaps that's where the confusion came from?
Yeah I am willing to upgrade and buy the Advanced if the store will take back my standard.
That's what I'd do if they will exchange it. I would have gotten the P3A myself if I knew then what I know now. After doing a tablet holder mod, a DBS mod I'm halfway to the price difference of the Advance, and maybe still half the distance of the Advance.

That's what I'd do if they will exchange it. I would have gotten the P3A myself if I knew then what I know now. After doing a tablet holder mod, a DBS mod I'm halfway to the price difference of the Advance, and maybe still half the distance of the Advance.

Yeah I know - I'm the same. Bought the ARGTEK, tablet holder, extra batteries, glare guard, etc etc. Luckily I can use these (except the ARGTEK) with a P3A - so I'll make sure they let me exchange/upgrade.

Hi

Hi

I have exact same problem you....also wifi is full with controller not 1 bar and disconnected and no signal...
I have about 8 signals on my analizer...

Did u fixed it? How?
Hope u can help me....

Thx

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic