How much impact is too much in the case?

Reaction score
Some might think I'm nuts for proposing this, but try to follow my logic. I see so many of these cases out there that can practically withstand anything we throw at them, especially the hard Pelican-type cases. You can literally stand on them and they can withstand any impact.

However, it seems to me that the part of the drone that is easiest to damage is the gimbal and yet we all have the same amount of protection for it...the gimbal lock. No matter what case you have it is the simple gimbal lock protecting it from movement and yet these cases can withstand any kind of beating. So how much impact can the gimbal with a gimbal lock attached take?

The reason I'm asking is I would like to take my drone on my recumbent bike. I'm fully confident the drone will stay very secured on the seat bag and the seat bag is very secured to the bike. What concerns me is the amount of movement and impact the gimbal might take while riding. I would add a second gimbal lock just for good measure. Any thoughts on the potential for damaging the gimbal here? I've heard of plenty of others doing something similar on motorcycles, but not sure about bicycles. If people are allowing their cases to withstand any kind of impact I can't help but wonder what the impact is to the gimbals and if they are withstanding the impact well wouldn't they withstand the kind of impact possibly seen here?

I feel the stock gimbal lock is very secure. However I am more worried about if you have a fall from your bike, your Phantom probably won't withstand the impact when it is so exposed.

My case came with a snug fitting foam block that has a cutout in it for holding the gimbal steady.

I feel the stock gimbal lock is very secure. However I am more worried about if you have a fall from your bike, your Phantom probably won't withstand the impact when it is so exposed.

Good point. I've biked for years and have yet to fall, but if I did then then any damage to the drone is something I would have to accept.

I bought one of those camera covers that the top slides into one of the cooling fins to keep the camera straight and proper.

I noticed the factory lock isn't very secure and often falls off in my case

I wasn't aware of this. Do you think it is more secure than any gimbal lock?

It is way more secure. It's used in conjunction with the lock. My case is a pretty big suitcase though. It's not going to ride on the back of a bike.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20