How much extra lift do larger props give?

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new here and new to the hobby... still yet to get my phantom, I'm still in the research mode. But I hope to be joining you all soon enough. :)

I would like to use the Phantom to do some nice video recording. I think the Phantom is my personal best choice with my experience (lack of) and for the cost. From what I've seen, and many people here, you can get some good video with the GoPro Hero 3 Black, so that's what I will try to do.

In order to help stabilize it, I think getting better and larger props will help. That's the main reason I want to get better props... but I assume that larger props can also lift more weight. Has anyone tried that? If so, what kind of increased lift does it get?

I would love to be able to use an even better camera, but I think anything I would want to use would be too heavy (400g). So I don't really expect larger props to be able to offer that amount of lift.

The other thing on my mind regarding weight would be a FPV system. I'm not sure if using the GoPro along with FPV and using the standard props, if that is at the max of it's life capabilities.

Thanks!

well it's not quite like that. (tho perhaps someone who's gone with larger props can chime in).

But first off, the only props larger than the standard 8" ones are the 9" Graupners. 10" props are too big and will hit the shell and each other.

But try to imagine putting larger wheels on a bicycle. -it'd be harder to pedal.
that's what you're kinda doing when you put larger props on a Phantom. the motors have to work a bit harder to turn the the props.
(tho imagine it's better if you live in Colorado or another high altitude location where the air is thiner).

With smaller props, the motors can spin faster - producing the same amount of lift as larger props.

theoretically tho, you'd only be increasing prop size by 12%.

The Phantom can actually lift a considerable amount even with stock props. (some people strap on additional batteries, which can certainly weigh a lot. FPVs are lightweight in comparison.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers