How Much Does You Phantom Weigh?

Reaction score
Have you guys weighed your phantom's? I just weighed mine and it weighed in at 1420 grams. :eek: I really don't know if that is good or bad in comparison to everyone else. I know weight eats up battery life but being a rookie Quad owner I don't have anything else to go by or compare to. What are some good parts or mods tips and tricks to change or to lighten them up a bit. :cool:

Thanks ~Duke

1434 here.
But there's several variables, not the least is which model Phantom. Mine is a P2-NV with stock props, Video transmitter, Mini-OSD, Flytrex 3G, and GpPro Hero4 on a Zenmuse gimbal. It can probably lift more, but at the expense of duration.

Reactions: Duke
My equipment and weight are listed below but I'm sure the weight will increase when I switch to H3-3D gimbal.

My equipment and weight are listed below but I'm sure the weight will increase when I switch to H3-3D gimbal.

Jason, To be honest with you, your signature is what got me to thinking. I went and stole my wife's flee bay scale and measured mine this morning. o_O Id like to get mine down to that weight. Mine is a tad over 4oz or 1/4 lb more than yours, and I ordered a flytrex today so that will make it even heavier yet. I need to find a way to put the **** thing on a diet. :cool:

Thanks ~Duke

1434 here.
But there's several variables, not the least is which model Phantom. Mine is a P2-NV with stock props, Video transmitter, Mini-OSD, Flytrex 3G, and GpPro Hero4 on a Zenmuse gimbal. It can probably lift more, but at the expense of duration.

Steve, Like I told Jason I will be adding a flytrex shortly so that 14 grams we are apart will be be closing rapidly and I may be passing you. :cool:

Thanks ~Duke

Steve, Like I told Jason I will be adding a flytrex shortly so that 14 grams we are apart will be be closing rapidly and I may be passing you. :cool:

Thanks ~Duke

Check your PM

i just weighed in...

1330 grams. P2 H4-3D, Hero3 WE and clip-on extended 3D printed landing gear.

with that said, I am adding an iosd mini, immersion 600mw tx, plug-n-play cable and 90g worth of landing gear. all I plan on removing is the stock landing gear :eek:

gonna get fat !!!!

i just weighed in...

1330 grams. P2 H4-3D, Hero3 WE and clip-on extended 3D printed landing gear.

with that said, I am adding an iosd mini, immersion 600mw tx, plug-n-play cable and 90g worth of landing gear. all I plan on removing is the stock landing gear :eek:

gonna get fat !!!!

Hi Airborn, what kinda gear ya getting.? Can ya get me a link?

Thanks ~Duke

Hi Airborn, what kinda gear ya getting.? Can ya get me a link?

Thanks ~Duke

landing gear?

I'm gonna do something a little custom. I needed to be able to remove landing gear for storage and transportation, so i am adding some wide carbon fiber skid style gear. and building the custom mounts and moving the gear back out of camera range.

I'll post pics of what i ordered tomorrow.

tired, going to bed tonight, later..

Last edited:
hey Duke,
I ordered these two items from ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Real-Carbon...ssy-/181807480556?hash=item2a5491feec&vxp=mtr

and

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/271845039695?lpid=82&chn=ps

I am going to cut two pieces from the carbon fiber sheet roughly 1"x5". they will fit on each side of the phantom and screw into the existing landing gear threads. the assembled carbon fiber landing gear will then be attach to those two platforms. I will mount them towards the back and move the skids back as well so they are not in the camera view.

with a set screw on each side I can remove the large landing gear and store the phantom in its existing pelican case.

I do plan on leaving the compass intact and cutting the rest of that leg away. other leg completely removed with can-bus connector moved inside.

sorry to hijack, but you are the OP and asked...

who else has weighed their phantom?

Last edited:
hey Duke,
I ordered these two items from ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271845039695?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

and

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271845039695?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I am going to cut two pieces from the carbon fiber sheet roughly 1"x5". they will fit on each side of the phantom and screw into the existing landing gear threads. the assembled carbon fiber landing gear will then be attach to those two platforms. I will mount them towards the back and move the skids back as well so they are not in the camera view.

with a set screw on each side I can remove the large landing gear and store the phantom in its existing pelican case.

I do plan on leaving the compass intact and cutting the rest of that leg away. other leg completely removed with can-bus connector moved inside.

sorry to hijack, but you are the OP and asked...

who else has weighed their phantom?

Thanks Airborne, Ummmmm both of the items you listed above are the same I think..... :rolleyes:

That stuff looks like chassis material like an RC Car is made out of like an RC10L I used to have.

carbon fiber... strong and light...

carbon fiber... strong and light...

Yes it is strong! I used plenty of Orvis 12' fly rods and put the WAZOO on many 30lb + Salmon. Anyways Get this... I just went down in my Phantom Laboratory in the basement and was screwing around with the gram scale, and set the phantom on the scale weighed it with top shell off (in process of upgrades) anyways I weighed the stock props and the carbon fiber upgrade props and there is only 5 grams difference. Not much difference being carbon fiber. I was also eye balling the gimbal. there is a lot of thick heavy aluminum. To much in my opinion I think they are WAY OVERBUILT for what they are supporting. I have a pretty well equipped shop with equipment and tools out my azz and I guarantee this Item along with others will be going on The Dukes exercise program. :D

Take care.
~Duke

Last edited:
Yes it is strong! I used plenty of Orvis 12' fly rods and put the WAZOO on many of 30lb + Salmon. AnywaysGet this... I just went down in my Phantom Laboratory in the basement and was screwing around with the gram scale and set the phantom on the scale weighed it with top shell off (in process of upgrades) anyways I weighed the stock props and the carbon fiber upgrade props and there is on 5 grams difference. Not much difference being carbon fiber. I was also eye balling the gimbal. there is a lot of thick heavy aluminum. To much in my opinion I think they are WAY OVERBUILT for what they are supporting. I have a pretty well equipped shop with equipment and tools out my azz and I guarantee this Item along with others will be going on The Dukes exercise program. :D

Take care.
~Duke

keep us updated.

New owner and new poster here! TONS of great info!
I have had my P2 for about a week after my original one (that I had for about 3 weeks) decided to crap out and wouldn't fly. Took some Thermal Images with my Flir and the processor and 5 volt switching regulator were COOKING!!! I post pics in this forum in another post.
Anyway...
I bought one of those chepy ebay gimbals (GBC branded) and an SJ4000 camera (pretty nice!).
Wasn't happy with the weight, so out into the shop I went and took the motors off the gimbal and milled away ALOT of the metal as well as the plate that mounts on the P2's belly.
Also, got the wiring to the camera as light as possible and did not use that plastic "chinese finger trap" sleeving as it weights too much. Every gram counts!

I got the total weight of my setup down to 1312 grams, and plan on getting some carbon fiber mounts for the gimbal to loose a few more grams, but don't know if it will amount to much more.

If desired, I can post some pics of what I did to the gimbal and my wiring.

I ended up switching gears and going with a P2v2 with Zenmuse gimble. Don't want to chew that one up so I left it alone, With new GPS 4mm,Copper foil shield, Zenmuse, Gopro hero3b, IOSD mini, Immersion 600w, Flytrex, Landing gear clip extensions, I weigh in at 1400 flat. I will work on other P2 in the winter and whittle on the cheap Flee Bay Gimbal.

~Duke

Reactions: Pomonabill220
I don't blame you for not carving your P2 with the Zenmuse gimbal. From what I have seen, that gimbal is already pretty light and doesn't seem to have much to trim away.

What do your landing gear clip extensions look like?
I used some 0.5" Al spacers, retapped the holes for 4-40 (real close to the metric screws they use), and am going to try making some spacers out of lexan rather than the spacers, for better support. Hopefully they won't weigh much.

New owner and new poster here! TONS of great info!
I have had my P2 for about a week after my original one (that I had for about 3 weeks) decided to crap out and wouldn't fly. Took some Thermal Images with my Flir and the processor and 5 volt switching regulator were COOKING!!! I post pics in this forum in another post.
Anyway...
I bought one of those chepy ebay gimbals (GBC branded) and an SJ4000 camera (pretty nice!).
Wasn't happy with the weight, so out into the shop I went and took the motors off the gimbal and milled away ALOT of the metal as well as the plate that mounts on the P2's belly.
Also, got the wiring to the camera as light as possible and did not use that plastic "chinese finger trap" sleeving as it weights too much. Every gram counts!

I got the total weight of my setup down to 1312 grams, and plan on getting some carbon fiber mounts for the gimbal to loose a few more grams, but don't know if it will amount to much more.

If desired, I can post some pics of what I did to the gimbal and my wiring.

Throw me some pics of that Lean mean Flying Machine! ;)

Thanks ~Duke

Reactions: Pomonabill220

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20