How much do you tighten your props?

Reaction score
How far do you turn your props to tighten them?

The manual says "... and tighten by hand to lock them in position."

I've heard people say they give it a half turn after resistance, others say an eighth of a turn.

I spin the prop on until it stops spinning. And, then I turn it about 1/8 of a turn. I wouldn't attempt a 1/2 turn. I would think that would put unnecessary stress on the plastic hubs.

Reactions: J&L and jimerb
I agree with the 1/8 turn after each prop stops spinning. It's just a slight tightening motion. They are self-tightening as the motors start.

Props like these were originally billed as self-tightening meaning there was no need to tighten them as demonstrated in the below video. Skip ahead to 10:15:

However, it was discovered that on rare occasions, a prop would fly off due to an abrupt variance in the speed of one of the motors. Nowadays, it's recommended you hand-tighten just a bit. So just a bit is all I tighten.

I much preferred the props on my P2, they would literally spin until they were tight. My P3 props are rubbish in comparison as they feel like they are cutting a new thread into the plastic hub of the prop every time, they will spin about half a turn then bind, so I have to manually turn them until a snug tightness.

I never tighten mine, just spin them until they stop then away, as said above they are self tightening.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I never tighten mine, just spin them until they stop then away, as said above they are self tightening.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

This is ok with P2 but not with P3. Be careful. I wouldn't recommend doing this per the manual and many reports of props flying off during aggressive active braking.

Screw them on and when you reach the end of travel put the wrench on and give them one last firm tug.
No your own strength, there only plastic.

Just like the lug nuts on my auto, It's one less thing I have to worry about when flying is that the props are going to fly off.

Spin it down when it stops i push it about 2 additional inches or so.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1