how much % confidence you got in your phantom ?

No reason to say anything but 99% so far! Just flew last night over 1 mile away, and what I did not leave in the clip was the return flight and then heading about 4,500 feet in another direction and back, on the same battery.

https://vimeo.com/116927371

The video was never made to be shared on a large forum, horrible production value, but just wanted to share with anyone considering the Phantom it is fairly robust.

I started with 90%. After every crash, it dropped 10%.

now hovering at 60% after 3 crashes (pilot fault)

I'm almost 100% sure that it will buy the ground someday. I can only hope I'm flying over land when it happens.

Not that I'm not confident with my Phantoms, I fly to the middle of the lake almost evry flight, I take it over 2Km out and so far I never had a serious issue (except for a bad battery lead one time) but I'm just realistic. Anything can happen, pilot error, wind gusts, sudden rain shower, Lightning strike, GPS failure, battery failure, bird strike or attack, breaking props, magnetic interference, interfering frequencies, a bad neighbour with a shotgun.........

Let's face the fact there there are a lot of things that we just can't predict or influence.
What we can do is minimise pilot error by following the rules, have sound judgment, fly safely and do everything we can to make sure our bird is in tip top condition before we take it in the air.

To answer the OP's question however:

I had just one issue with one of my 2 P's and that was a bad connection with the battery. I count that as a pilot error because I should have checked the quad before flying. So after 100's of flights, that's about 99.5% reliability, and rising.

If only we could add 4 motors and make an octo from our Phantoms 99.9% would be realistic to achieve.

Now up to 99% after this morning's flight. Broke my personal distance record of 3.6 kilometers one way out into Lake Pontchartrain, LA. No problems with the Phantom, had to fight against a little wind on the way back.

Now I'm having issues with the H3-3D. Confidence on the gimbal working properly right now is at 30% as I am having issues during the past 5 flights.

Attachments

• 20150116_092559_1.jpg
    20150116_092559_1.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 327
sdtrojan said:
No reason to say anything but 99% so far! Just flew last night over 1 mile away, and what I did not leave in the clip was the return flight and then heading about 4,500 feet in another direction and back, on the same battery.

https://vimeo.com/116927371

The video was never made to be shared on a large forum, horrible production value, but just wanted to share with anyone considering the Phantom it is fairly robust.
As you stated you did not list the video as high production value, but still some nice shots. Just out of curiosity, which one of those four million dollar houses is yous?

As a newcomer to this hobby with only about 8 flights under my belt I feel the phantom has performed way beyond my expectations of what I thought a remote controlled craft could do, however, after my first return to home for forgetting to keep an eye on my battery power I would say that pilot confidence is at an all time low. Fortunately it landed itself well about ten feet from take off, so it does what it says on the tin.

Vision Plus - Around 65%. It was more and growing before. But the last time I flew (a few months ago, when the weather was better), I had a problem. When I hit the 'record' button, I lost 3 - 4 satellites. It COULD have been due to the weather at the time. It was cloudy, slightly foggy and not so warm. But I wont know for sure until I can fly again. I didn't want to have to open up my Vision Plus and do modifications. But I think I will have to.

FC40 - Around 75%. Having got my FC40 at the end of last year, I haven't flown it much. The weather is still bad. It's performed well when I have flown it though. Just need to not tip it over again. Twice is bad enough!

My faith will grow in both craft when I fly them consistently, without issues. I believe someone on here mentioned flying in parks and needing to be very creative to get good shots. Well unfortunately for me, a large park is the ONLY place I can locally and easily fly. I've yet to be bored though, as these things are a total buzz for me to pilot at all. I'd love to take my Vision Plus along with me if and when I finally travel around.

msinger said:
I'm at 100%. Haven't seen anything odd with my Phantom yet.

I'm sure it will lose GPS lock and go to ATTI, but I'm confident I know how that feels and how to fly it.

so far 100%

I was so scared in the beginning, maybe 50% confidence in it, then I gradually built that up until I could send it away on Ground Station missions with close to no fear at all. I was 99% confident!

Then I experienced two scares and was down to maybe 60%. Now I've built it up to around 80-90% and I suspect it will stay there.

I have confidence in it but know that something *could* happen :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.