Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

How much compass noise is normal?

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by Makawao, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Makawao

There are some great long exposure shots on this site that I have not been able to replicate, I get too much left right rotation. I have already removed blade guards (that helped some), installed new blades, calibrated the IMU and compass. Here's a shot, 3 seconds, 100 iso
    DJI_0123.JPG The moon is not round, and the lights are horizontal lines (they are dots in 1/2 second exposure shots).

If that's the best the P3 can do that's fine, but I do wonder how others have done better.

So I took a look at the sensor readings while the P3 sat still on the kitchen table, here's a video of them

The x, y and z compass settings seems noisy oscillating in about a 15 something zone. Is this normal? What does your P3 do?

2. Makawao

Anyone? What does yor compass read while p3 is not moving?

3. leekiya

I do not believe the compass is that great on the p3 compared to my other phantoms to be honest. It shares the same compass safety feature as the inspire, but I don't believe the inspire will have the same compass issues as the p3 when flying close to metal, and by close I mean 10 to 15 Mtrs. I can not confirm this with any results as yet, but when a member of our club turns up with one I will be running some experiments for sure.

4. Makawao

Solved. Chatted with DJI tech support and they said my compass noise is normal. Then I noticed their was an app update. Got the update, started things up and out of the blue I'm getting Gimbal Overload. Searched the forum, found the problem. I humbly admit, there is a piece of white packing foam on the back of the gimbal that I had not removed. Mine does not have the 'remove before flight' sticker, but still. All better now.