How much better is Lightbridge?

Excellent. Thanks guys for your input.....Advanced it is!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Here is a quote from Drone World:

• Home
  • Updated Nov 2015: DJI Phantom 3 Professional (Gold) vs. Advanced (Silver) vs. Standard (Red)

DJI Phantom 3 Professional (Gold) vs Advanced (Silver) vs Standard (Red): Updated Nov 2015
Updated: Nov 2015 with DJI Phantom Standard - One big announcement, two nearly identical drones. DJI Phantom 3 Professional vs. Phantom 3 Advanced...

When DJI announced the arrival of the Phantom 3 in April, drone enthusiasts were treated to not one but two new models in the Phantom family. The release of the Phantom 3 Professional and Phantom 3 Advanced gave consumers two new options in the world of UAV.

With the only visually recognizable difference between the Professional and Advanced being their gold and silver sitckers respectively, the two new Phantom 3 drones were quickly dubbed Gold and Silver for short. Here we'll discuss the differences beyond the sticks and why in the end Gold and Silver really are fitting nicknames for the new additions to the DJI stable of Phantom drones.

Design
The overall design of the Phantom 3 Professional vs the Phantom 3 Advanced is identical. In fact, you'd be hardpressed to find a difference between the looks of the two new Phantom 3s and the previous Phantom 2 models for the most part. Both have the same quadcopter design, propellers, built-in 3-axis gimbal and camera, so to the naked eye their really the same - on closer inspection, the cameras are different but more on that below. So the minor cosmetic difference of the gold vs silver stickers is actually quite helpful in telling the two apart.

Performance
Being part of the Phantom platform of drones, the Professional and Advanced continue to have the same reliability and ease of flight pilots have come to expect from DJI drones. Both the Phantom 3 Professional and the Advanced are again identical in their range, battery size and flight control but there is one upgrade to note. The Phantom 3, both editions, come with DJI's Visual Positioning system. It's not a difference between the two but the upgrade taken from DJI's pro-model, Inspire 1, is significant because the Phantom 3's positioning can be determined without GPS allowing pilots to fly indoors, in addition to take off and landing with the single push of a button.

Fly Safe,

Bruce

ive had my advance 2 weeks now and all i was getting range wise was 2200 feet before losing signal,lots of trees,phone lines etc.
was pretty disapointed tbh until i went outside my village (in UK so CEmode) and had clear line of sight and got 8000 feet at 300 feet altitude straight away but still had full signals.i reckon it would go well over 10000 feet no probs.only mod i have is a £5 windsurfer

I did but I'm finding that my P3A isn't going further than 1.5 miles. Tried the windsurfer thing and that doesn't help, either.

My next step is to mess with the channel settings and reducing video stream quality. I also ordered another remote to modify the antennas.

Getting a mile & half is a lot better than the 1/2 mile to 3/4 mile range I was getting with the P3S, but getting the loss of image and signal pop-up at the 1 mile or less mark with the P3A is a bit disappointing.

Also, my P3A is noticeably louder than my P3S. The P3S was barely audible at 200+ ft. Not so with the P3A. Overall I'm happy with the purchase.

To be honest, I'd be really happy with 1/2 a mile to a mile, just as long as I keep the fpv. Like I said, I live in a really rural area with a lot of farmland so there's not much to interfere with my signal but the Standard, put simply, was just not up to the job. To be honest, I wouldn't want to go much further as I live near Salisbury plain and there's a hell of a lot of military air traffic, Apaches, Chinooks etc that travel in our airspace.

I bought a P3S a couple of months ago now and the constant loss of video feed at anything over 200m or anywhere that's slightly populated is beginning to grate. I'm seriously considering selling it to make way for a P3A but before I spend my hard earned readies, has anyone here made the jump from S to A or P and is it worth the extra? What's bugging me really is that I don't live in a built up area, I'm in a rural location with lots of farmland etc and I still keep getting signal loss etc. So, is it worth it?

I bought a P3S a couple of months ago now and the constant loss of video feed at anything over 200m or anywhere that's slightly populated is beginning to grate. I'm seriously considering selling it to make way for a P3A but before I spend my hard earned readies, has anyone here made the jump from S to A or P and is it worth the extra? What's bugging me really is that I don't live in a built up area, I'm in a rural location with lots of farmland etc and I still keep getting signal loss etc. So, is it worth it?

Yes. It is worth it. Antennas on phones and tablets are not that great. Odds are there isn't much you can do to the P3S to get long ranges. You are limited by the device antenna to receive the signal.

On the otherhand, with P3A and p3b, all comms are handled by the RC antenna which has a better chance of getting a solid signal.

Here is a bone stock p3p distance test over fairly flat urban landscape.
Took the P3P for a joy ride! 10k out! | DJI Phantom Forum

Reactions: Pommo
Will be ordering my P3A tomorrow! Just hope the weather is ok for her maiden flight on Friday!

I've had both. Had the P3S, ended up buying the dbsmods antenna. when the P3A went on sale, it was a no brainer to return the P3S (traded remotes with my friend who wanted the dbsmods antenna). With all of the upgrades I was looking to do to the P3S, it wouldve cost more than just getting the P3A.

These are the distances i was getting on each (I am in the US, so I can't speak on the CE Distances, but it will definitely be further than the P3S)
p3s stock - 4000 ft
p3s w dbs - 2 miles
p3a stock, no windsurfer, channel 32 - 4 miles

Will be ordering my P3A tomorrow! Just hope the weather is ok for her maiden flight on Friday!

Hope you are not ordering direct from DJI expecting to fly it on Friday. If you order from DJI, you will be flying until mid February. B&H or others, yea, it might make it.

Hope you are not ordering direct from DJI expecting to fly it on Friday. If you order from DJI, you will be flying until mid February. B&H or others, yea, it might make it.

I'm ordering from a company in north east England, who have stock (which is rare in itself at the moment, as these are selling like hot cakes over here) and next day delivery....happy days!

Reactions: Wolfiesden
I'm ordering from a company in north east England, who have stock (which is rare in itself at the moment, as these are selling like hot cakes over here) and next day delivery....happy days!

Not just over there ;)

But good show in finding someone reasonably local. RTFM. Fly safe. Be sure to share your maiden flight video :)

I'd say this decision depends on your computer & video equipment. Unless you have a relatively new computer with a fast processor, dedicated video card, & lots of memory, as well as a 4K-capable television or monitor, then save yourself $449 & get the Advanced. Range & aircraft performance are identical. This leaves you money for a couple extra batteries & a case.

As to 10 Mbps vs. 2 Mbps live feed, its not as though you need absolutely perfect video to fly FPV. Video recorded to the memory card will be fine & its not like a few artifacts in FPV goggles is going to hamper your ability to fly with precision.

If you have the necessary equipment to appreciate the 4K video, or just have money to burn, get the Pro. Or do what I did...get the Pro, Advanced, & a Standard just to cover all your bases! ;)

Ok, so I sold my P3S earlier and decided to take the plunge on a P3A or P. Question is, do I get an Advanced now or wait a few weeks for a Pro? Is it still the case with the fpv that pro gets up to 10mbps but the Advanced gets 2? How will that affect fpv if that's the case, will it be choppy at a half decent distance or does it just apply to sharpness etc?

Last edited:
Reactions: Trackman1
If you order from DJI, you will be flying until mid February.
That has not been my experience. The last three quadcopters I ordered from DJI arrived within 6 business days of ordering.

Doesn't the Advance allow up to 10mb video feed via the settings in the app? I think it's 2mbps default with option up to 10mbps.

Doesn't the Advance allow up to 10mb video feed via the settings in the app? I think it's 2mbps default with option up to 10mbps.
No. It transmits at constant 2Mbps video even though the GO app allows you to adjust up to 10Mbps, it makes no difference to its FPV video quality.

Hmmm this may explain why my fathers live view is not nearly as pixelated as mine.

Had I known this I would have paid a happy $250 for the faster charger/better live view. I don't care about the 4k camera at this point in time which is why I stayed away from the PRO between that and only seeing the $250 as an "expensive upgrade to a slightly faster charger". Bummer.

Oh well!

Also will doing the 32 channel hack provide a better live video feed by reducing cross interference in urban areas?

I was thinking of doing this hack before my vacation trip soon to Oregon (hopefully I can at least get a few hours of sunlight on the coast) but that'd be awesome if I could gain anything outside of more stable distance.

Also will doing the 32 channel hack provide a better live video feed by reducing cross interference in urban areas?

I was thinking of doing this hack before my vacation trip soon to Oregon (hopefully I can at least get a few hours of sunlight on the coast) but that'd be awesome if I could gain anything outside of more stable distance.
I think if you choose a quiet channel in one of those 32 channels, you can get more stable FPV video transmission, but your Adv's FPV video quality still remains on 2Mbps.

That's what I was thinking. Wasn't sure.

Oh well. I'm still happy and quality is still great. Just more motivation to upgrade to the newest unit when the time comes! Live and learn :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj