How much better is Lightbridge?

Reaction score
I bought a P3S a couple of months ago now and the constant loss of video feed at anything over 200m or anywhere that's slightly populated is beginning to grate. I'm seriously considering selling it to make way for a P3A but before I spend my hard earned readies, has anyone here made the jump from S to A or P and is it worth the extra? What's bugging me really is that I don't live in a built up area, I'm in a rural location with lots of farmland etc and I still keep getting signal loss etc. So, is it worth it?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Yes, IMHO it is well worth the extra, the quality & distance from the Lightbridge downlink is incredible. I never had a P3S, but had a P2 & the difference is amazing.

Reactions: Pommo
There is a huge difference with the P-3 Pro. It range is terrific! The camera is in 4k, and provides crisp stable movies and pictures. If you can, the upgrade is worth every penny. DJI, has listened to their customers and have drastically improved their product!

Before you dump all the money out for Lightbridge you may want to check on doing some simple antenna mods. With the restrictions of flying Visual line of sight the best you can probably hope for is 2000 ft out and that is obtainable with the standard RC with good antennas.
However I see you are in Denmark and you probably don't have those limits there. It's still a chunk of change to convert.

The max transmission distance of the P3A/P3P is 4 times the P3S distance (and 7 times since you're CE). Even if you don't reach the max transmission distance with the P3A/P3P, you should still see a significant increase.

I went straight for the Pro on the advise of a friend,
He was correct,
I love this thing,
Lightbridge is the way to go,
This screen shot is from yesterdays flight,
2.9 miles out,
The only mod is a slip-on windsurfer.
Without the windsurfer I can easily fly out to 6000'

Last edited:
Before you dump all the money out for Lightbridge you may want to check on doing some simple antenna mods. With the restrictions of flying Visual line of sight the best you can probably hope for is 2000 ft out and that is obtainable with the standard RC with good antennas.
However I see you are in Denmark and you probably don't have those limits there. It's still a chunk of change to convert.
I'm not in Denmark, I'm in England but we don't have restrictions either.

Lightbridge is a world of difference. You should know that the P3A and P3P are different as well. DJI limited the P3A to 2mbps live video, while the P3P gets up to 10mbps. That's a big difference in quality. Although I've never seen a P3A live view, as everyone I know got the P3P...

Reactions: J&L and Pommo
Just received my p3 advance was very disappointed with distance love camera controller and separate return home button,

I am in a populated area my p3 standard with upgraded antenna DB mod. Went about 17 - 2000 feet. Yesterday I did 2500 with the petri advance and I was getting loss of signal :-( I had the antennas the right way but not impressed with the money I spent the quad is running 1.4 software

To be honest I'd be happy with a mile or so, I just want the video feed to be strong so I know what I'm shooting

You should try some on of the low cost directional ant. clips. I fly behind Some trees in some areas and these helped me stop dropping out.
I have not checked to see how far I could go but every people on Amazon report it has fixed problems like you are having

I have Beeboop also which is 1/3 the product of the p3 us a wifi repeater to get a little more range.
That was the mistake buy for me. The light bridge in amassing

Last edited:
Ok, so I sold my P3S earlier and decided to take the plunge on a P3A or P. Question is, do I get an Advanced now or wait a few weeks for a Pro? Is it still the case with the fpv that pro gets up to 10mbps but the Advanced gets 2? How will that affect fpv if that's the case, will it be choppy at a half decent distance or does it just apply to sharpness etc?

Get the Professional, it is really worth the wait! There are many more advantages with the pro than the A. The camera is better, fight stability is much more improved. You are connected to US and Russian satellites that give you more control. The ground sensors are also a plus when landing manually. Getting the Pro vs. the Advanced is like getting a Cadillac vs a Buick, some features might be similar but the overall ride is like a dream! My flights, movies and pictures have just been amazing. Wait the time to get the Professional, I am sure you are in a hurry to get a new one, but you will thank yourself and be happier that you waited!

Happy Flying!

Bruce1

They both have equal fight stability, the both use GPS/GLONASS and they both have VPS (ground sensors). The cameras are different, downlink is different and the chargers are different.

Get the Professional, it is really worth the wait! There are many more advantages with the pro than the A. The camera is better, fight stability is much more improved.

Please get your fact correct before giving out false advice.

Both the Advanced and Profession drones are exactly the same and they fly the same way, the only difference is Pro has 4K camera with higher bitrate video transmission. (Pro also comes with faster battery charger).

Get the Professional, it is really worth the wait! There are many more advantages with the pro than the A. The camera is better, fight stability is much more improved. You are connected to US and Russian satellites that give you more control. The ground sensors are also a plus when landing manually. Getting the Pro vs. the Advanced is like getting a Cadillac vs a Buick, some features might be similar but the overall ride is like a dream! My flights, movies and pictures have just been amazing. Wait the time to get the Professional, I am sure you are in a hurry to get a new one, but you will thank yourself and be happier that you waited!

Happy Flying!

Bruce1

Where did you get this information from? It's not correct as far as I can see! You have EXACTLY the same flying platform, both will connect with both Navstar and Glonass satellites, both have ground sensors (which have nothing to do with landing). The only difference is the 4k camera, a faster bitrate for FPV trnsfer (which is only noticeable if you're using some types of goggles) and a 100w charger as opposed to 57w. I'd love to see your manual - it must be way different than mine!

Lightbridge is a world of difference. You should know that the P3A and P3P are different as well. DJI limited the P3A to 2mbps live video, while the P3P gets up to 10mbps. That's a big difference in quality. Although I've never seen a P3A live view, as everyone I know got the P3P...

This is only noticeable if you're using goggles, for iPad, iPhone, Android phones and Android tablets you would be hard pressed to notice a difference - if there is any. Under normal circumstances you won't even see a difference.

Ok, so I sold my P3S earlier and decided to take the plunge on a P3A or P. Question is, do I get an Advanced now or wait a few weeks for a Pro? Is it still the case with the fpv that pro gets up to 10mbps but the Advanced gets 2? How will that affect fpv if that's the case, will it be choppy at a half decent distance or does it just apply to sharpness etc?

You need to ask yourself a few questions. 1. what is the output? Hobby or professional? 2. What will you be viewing the output on? 4K TV or HD? 3. What sort of pc/Mac do you have? Can it edit in 4K? Can it even play 4K without it being choppy?

The FPV transfer rate is totally immaterial unless you're using goggles - with a normal screen you won't see the difference.

If I was you, I'd ask a friendly chap to send you a dropbox or wetransfer of a 4K file and see if it will play smoothly on your PC. Then decide. Either way, for range the P3A or P3P will be miles ahead of the P3S.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj