how many use a external GPS tracker

I just talked with Trackimo Tech Support regarding identifying of the 2 vs 3g unit. The 2G unit has a 6 digit serial number starting with the number 1. The 3G unit has a 9 digit number starting with 3. I just went through this with Drone World. I specifically stated I wanted a 3G.... they sent me a 2G I had activation issues with. After talking with Trackimo, they confirmed I was sold a 2G. I bought a new 3G direct from Trackimo and sent the Drone World Trackimo unit back for refund

After losing a P3 to the dreaded Australian scrub, I invested in a Marco Polo tracker, mainly because I often fly in non cell reception areas and I didn't want to be locked into an annual subscription service that some devices run on. My P4 does not leave the ground without it, mainly due to the dense bush terrain I'm operating over.
I'm not a great fan of Velcro, so I've made a housing for the tracker tag from a small $2 electrical junction box and attached it between the landing legs where they meet the aircrafts body with a single, heavy duty cable tie. Works beautifully with no interference to the birds systems.
If anyone's interested I can post details and pics, but great peace of mind. Good luck with yours!

Reactions: Jackre55
Marco Polo here also, due to spotty cell service areas. Had a friend hide my Phantom twice to see how well it worked. The first time took about 45 minutes of riding/walking around getting used to the tracker. Second time only took about 30 minutes to find a very well hidden bird. Even walked by it twice, much to the amusement of my friend that hid it. Now I know how to track it down if it ever goes missing.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

After losing a P3 to the dreaded Australian scrub, I invested in a Marco Polo tracker, mainly because I often fly in non cell reception areas and I didn't want to be locked into an annual subscription service that some devices run on. My P4 does not leave the ground without it, mainly due to the dense bush terrain I'm operating over.
I'm not a great fan of Velcro, so I've made a housing for the tracker tag from a small $2 electrical junction box and attached it between the landing legs where they meet the aircrafts body with a single, heavy duty cable tie. Works beautifully with no interference to the birds systems.
If anyone's interested I can post details and pics, but great peace of mind. Good luck with yours!
Yes please post up some pictures of your set up! Thanks......

I just talked with Trackimo Tech Support regarding identifying of the 2 vs 3g unit. The 2G unit has a 6 digit serial number starting with the number 1. The 3G unit has a 9 digit number starting with 3. I just went through this with Drone World. I specifically stated I wanted a 3G.... they sent me a 2G I had activation issues with. After talking with Trackimo, they confirmed I was sold a 2G. I bought a new 3G direct from Trackimo and sent the Drone World Trackimo unit back for refund

Thanks Bobd! I got the 2G. After less than a month I bought the 3G & requested a refund on the 2G. After working up the chain of command, (they don't appear to have someone with decision-making authority answering the phones), they agreed to let me return the 2G, and have yet to authorize a refund (due to "inspecting" the unit. This felt odd to me since they have "30-day money-back guarantee" prominently displayed on the web site. I have yet to loose sight of my P4, (I am one with not much experience, and using a lot of "baby-steps" while learning.). I also have the Marco-Polo. I have not let the P4 off-the-leash yet, but I am gaining confidence. [emoji239] [emoji102]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

But if you are flying where there is no cell service, I guess you really didn't save any money, because now there is little or no way of finding your drone.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
Well I can really find a place in Italy without cell service especially using Vodafone. On the other hand chances to have a fly away that reach way more than 2miles (limit of the Marco polo system) are very high. I still think that the GPS is the best solution.

W la figa

This my P4 and P3P

Attachments

• IMG_1107.jpg
    IMG_1107.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 326
  • IMG_1108.jpg
    IMG_1108.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 320
This my P4 and P3P
Someone was talking about an ap that is called GPS Stat. The screen shot he posted gave you lat/lon numbers as well as a lot of other info. Will this ap take the place of a tracker? If not, what does it do. Tech challenged.

I am using TK104 from Amazon with a holder bought at ebay. And 2 of my friends here in Spain have the same assembly, all of us with P3A

Someone was talking about an ap that is called GPS Stat. The screen shot he posted gave you lat/lon numbers as well as a lot of other info. Will this ap take the place of a tracker? If not, what does it do. Tech challenged.
I don't know about this app,the only thing i know is this small 30 dollars thing saved my *** one time when my Phantom 2 crash due to a failure 2 KM away from me and i was able to track and recover my phantom 2 back.Otherwise i could lost my phantom 2 with a H4-3D ,a gopro 4 black and a lightbridge 1 for ever.

Haha, yes I know, just that LuisQ said he was using a TK104 every flight, when i looked them up i thought, bloody hell, it'd never even get off the ground with that on, so not much chance of losing it, therefore it works well lol.

I am using the TK102 which I make sure is charged before each flight.
I did buy a Trackimo, which came dead. My email complaint was met with silence, so can't recommend that one.
I bought the TK102 mount from eBay. Works great and you can charge the unit without removing it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav