How many times did you crash in your first 10 hours of flight?

Reaction score
Ok I am new to drone, but crashed 3 times in my first 5 hours of flight: all human errors, crashed on tree. So far only damaged props and gimbal plate.

I am planning on taking some flying lessons online, and practice on a cheap drone. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try practicing in a wide open area where there are no trees or other obstacles. Then, you'll only need to worry about taking off and landing :)

Reactions: bobmyers
Ok I am new to drone, but crashed 3 times in my first 5 hours of flight: all human errors, crashed on tree. So far only damaged props and gimbal plate.

I am planning on taking some flying lessons online, and practice on a cheap drone. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Do you have any RC aircraft experience? Actually, the P3 is very easy to fly if you know all the controls and can follow all the setup check lists. You have to take baby steps when you are learning -- it also should be set to beginners mode.

There is also a flight Simulator in the Go App for the pro and standard.

No, I don't. Great idea, will try the simulator.

Spend a few hours on the sim until you are very comfortable with the controls

You could get an Syma X8 which is the same size as the Phantom 3. It is all manual, so it will teach you to fly. You will crash a lot, but for $100 it is less painful. It will also make your appreciate what a wonderful machine the Phantom 3 is.

Reactions: Ron Arnson
Practice practice and practice on hubsan x4. When you master this little guy you will be very good at flying P3 even in atti mode :) And it's waaaay much cheaper to crash hubsan than p3 :)

P3S has auto hover, auto land, auto takeoff.

The only acceptable answer is that you should crash 0 times. (I'm not counting any small tip overs on landing as a crash.)

If you are crashing so much, your judgement is terrible in regards to spots you pick to fly and how you are flying.

Right, zero crashes should be the norm. Do your crashes with an X5C or the like.

I"m still waiting to unwrap my P3P and was wondering if there is a large building near Middletown Ohio like a "gym" or open area that we could practice learning to fly, as the in climate weather around here is only going to get worse. Has anyone used such a bldg to learn in I know it's limited but still better that not flying at all.. Any comments appreciated . thanks The Rock

Thanks for all the responses. I just ordered Hubsan as a trainer. I am going to practice a lot. :).

I know this thing is designed to have zero crash. One of the challenge I have is to know the orientation of my drone. All my crashes were caused by not knowing the orientation and panic when it drafted to trees. I am learning although I might not have any target for pilot.

Thanks again to all of you.

I had three serious crashes in my first 2-3 hours with my P2V because I flew either too high or too far and didn't know the craft's orientation. I zigged when I should have zagged, panicked, and so crashed into a tree the first time and into a light pole the second time. I didn't follow Bob Myers good advice above - starting out with "baby steps" and working my way up through practice to the proficiency I have now nearly two years after those crashes. I just acquired a P3P on Black Friday and am taking my sweet time one step at a time before taking it out for its maiden flight. So far the P2V is a mere toy compared to the P3P and its sophisticated technology.

Last edited:
Reactions: Seachief
flew over 600 birds in past 12 months, haven't crashed one yet (knock on the wood). but i am coming from hard core 3D heli smacking so flying quads is cake.
practice on sim then go out and practice take offs and landing. take off to 5ft and land. repeat 100 times and you'll have that taken care of.
now learn opposite controls which means take off and rotate the bird 180 degrees. now learn to control the bird when left on the stick is right, forward is back and so on.

The only acceptable answer is that you should crash 0 times. (I'm not counting any small tip overs on landing as a crash.)

If you are crashing so much, your judgement is terrible in regards to spots you pick to fly and how you are flying.
Thank you. I've never flown a drone before owning the P3S. I'm very careful on how I'm landing. RTH works great, so no worries on fly-aways, either. This thing is so easy to fly and land.

Thanks!

Is this what DJI is dealing with everyday??
I would love to see what Christmas will be like.

On a side note, its really unfortunate that the battery ejects in a crash and stops the video from finalising. Love to see a compilation of crashed P3's.

R/C aircraft fail frequently.

This fact combined with the lack of redundancy in a Phantom [quad] specifically makes such a condemnation of those who experience problems indicative of a lack of respect for what is common and expected.

With r/c aircradt you have two choices... fly it, or display it.

You can't do both forever.

R/C aircraft fail frequently.

This fact combined with the lack of redundancy in a Phantom [quad] specifically makes such a condemnation of those who experience problems indicative of a lack of respect for what is common and expected.

You can't do both forever.

With enough flying time, each and every Phantom 3 is going to drop out of the sky like a brick.

What does this have to do with new operators trying to get started? Not much. New operators crash almost exclusively because of poor judgement or mistakes that they didn't know were mistakes.

My local RC field is about 800 by 400 feet of plain flat grass with zero obstructions. We've had several new Phantom 3 owners come out and crash their Phantoms 3s the first day. At least 2 guys crashed it twice in one day. In a giant field, they still managed to find trees and a creek because they were getting comfortable and wanted "to see what it can do" and fly close to obstacles and dangers. This is how most new operators crash - not because there is some factory defect with the quad.

Just an input.
I've been fixing P2's, P3's and Inspires in the past year and went through over 600 birds in that time.
I test flew every and each one of them before sending back to the customer. My test flights were indoor first and then outdoors. Outdoors was 350ft up and at least 1000ft away. Guess how many birds "flew away" or "dropped from the sky like a rock". ???
ZERO
NONE
NADA
ZILCH
ZIP

Learn how to take off, fly and land and you'll be fine.
And most important, don't do a csc mid flight in the air and then complain about bird falling from the sky like a rock.
Just my 2c

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31