How many "successful" flights have you had?

I just checked all my batteries and I am amazed to discover that I have almost 200 flights total between my P2V and the P2V+. One tip over when it landed so now I hand land them.

I hope I don't jinx myself!

However I had some close calls, one day I was flying and got pretty far out. I looked down at my monitor for one sec and looked back to find the Phantom again. I spotted what I thought was my Phantom but it was actually an airplane flying way off in the distance. By the time I figured out it wasn't my Phantom it had reached the next county (not really). But it was long gone. Thanks to Home Lock and a battery that was still near 50% I got it to fly back to home.
That was the day I decided to buy a couple Flytrex Live 3G's!

Heres a wee test that will add a bit to your skill set. Pretend homelock did not register and take the aircraft out several hundred m. Stop. Spin it around on its axis a good few times (no counting!). Now determine which way it is facing and bring it straight home. Answers on a postcard...

No problem, I use Flytrex Live 3G and can get an immediate picture of where it is and where it's headed.

I have 2 phantom 1's first one had a crash after about 100 flights. sent back to DJI and they fixed it under warranty. have put 178 more flights on her with no problems or hard landings.
my second phantom has FPV and I have over 400 flight with no crashes or hard landings.

I have had great luck with my DJI product and will soon own a Inspire.

The few issues I have had have just made me a better Pilot

If issues make one a better operator, I must be superb.

I had a Phantom 1 that went down so many times my friends christened it the Black Hawk. This tough old bird lost a fight with two different fences, a power line, and the ground. Twice. I can think of several occasions where she squared off against some leaves and branches and won those encounters.

She also rescued a Parrot AR Drone that was stuck in a tree, flew video for an Indian wedding, and was the subject of air-to-air videos after I got my P2V+.

She went through more modifications than Mr. Potato Head, then went back to stock before I sold it to a guy who regularly flies it over the beach in nearby Pacifica.

The Black Hawk and I had a lot of successful flights together. Nearly 100%.

Reactions: dirkclod
All of them! I once went out of range with my radio and triggered failsafe but it came back to home point perfectly.

No problem, I use Flytrex Live 3G and can get an immediate picture of where it is and where it's headed.
Hey, that's cheatin' LOL

Edit: I meant to say...no fpv. This is one of the tests in a flight exam.

Edit: I meant to say do the test without FPV. This is one of the flight exam tests.

Last edited:
I have had my P2(full FPV) for a bit over a year.... Only one crash... VRS of my own doing on one of the first " hey check out my new toy" flights. I tried to catch it as it fell and took off the tip of one finger off(meat only) with one of the blades.... Lessons learned ! Outside of that I have about 200 hrs on mine. Yes, I have been graced with a bunch of crap batteries from DJI, they warrantied a few( I still can not believe it) and now the warranty replacements are failing faster that the originals. Of course DJI is now holding to the 3 month warranty company line. I digress....
I am still dealing with the TBE/declination issue, but it is better running 1.08 than any of the updates....

After a year, my P2NV has had 120 successful flights on three batteries. Until two days ago when a complete battery failure caused a sudden drop during an emergency landing. Nothing bent, but original three batteries worthless after 40 cycles each. DJI says they were warranted for three months. So I've done good ?

Heres a wee test that will add a bit to your skill set. Pretend homelock did not register and take the aircraft out several hundred m. Stop. Spin it around on its axis a good few times (no counting!). Now determine which way it is facing and bring it straight home. Answers on a postcard...
ITS EASY, get her out there and get disorientated, let her stop and gently go forward.if the bird goes left turn left,if she goes right turn right.this will point the bird at you.
or glance at your phone.

ITS EASY, get her out there and get disorientated, let her stop and gently go forward.if the bird goes left turn left,if she goes right turn right.this will point the bird at you.
or glance at your phone.
There is more. If it does neither, then you have no clue whether it is travelling away from you or towards you. So, you yaw either left or right until pushing forward makes it travel left or right. Then start from the top :D

or glance at your phone.
Correct....partly. If it is facing away or towards you already it will have no lateral movement in this case, so you would need to try left or right stick. If moving stick left it turns right then it is already facing you and the opposite of course.

Now wasn't that a nice wee hijacked diversion. Sorry OP

Edit: ops sorry Hughie, I need to read this first.

Hi,

OK, Since I can't cheat and cannot not use Home Lock or FPV, I would stop, try to get a visual on it, then try to get it to hover long enough to do a 5 sec direction in each 45 deg. ordinal until I could hopefully verify it's true heading, then just navigate back towards home, if the prop noise gets louder then I know I am at least going to see eventually fly overhead. If there is a better way, I would love to hear about it. I am trying to think if CL would be any help but I can't think of any way it would help. Maybe some smarter people out there can figure a way. Would it be cheating if I used the led head light to find orientation? I use it mainly for night flying but it is also very visible during daylight flying.

Now it's time to give my brain a rest, too much thinking for one day!

I have no idea how many successful flights, LOTS AND LOTS.

My only issue has resulted from doing compass calibration over buried power lines.

Every flight is a success, even some when I run into stuff. Love Prop Guards.
The only things that break on my FC40 are guards, props and the landing gear.
Broke all three running into the top of a 30 foot utility pole. No, not me flying.
Put on a couple new props and kept on flying.

I've got an "Energizer Bunny" Phantom... Life is good.

150+ since may 2014 with P2 with gopro and lightbridge
40+with new inspire

I fly my modded fc40 every day I can on lunch at work as well. I've had her since early October 2014 and probly have 150 flights on her with only 2 crash. My own fault tho, it was way too windy and once I got above the tree line, she got sucked right into a tree branch and tumbled down the tree. Only suffered 1 broken prop cause I killed the motors before she hit the ground. Sometimes u got ta know when to just shut her down. The other time I was trying to learn manual mode without enough altitude. Still only broke 1 prop and a few scratches on the arms. Got lucky that time, a car broke my fall...lol otherwise she was hitting pavement

Over 150 great flights. One stressful landing. Other than yaw drift (now corrected). I enjoy the P2V+.
I got my drone just after turning 62 and loosing my sight in my right eye. Sure glad they make it easy to fly!

I know there are a lot of posts about issues people are having, which does help everyone learn about what to look for. I don't see that many posts about all the successful flights people are having. So what are some of the numbers? How many successful flights have people had out there? (number of flights or number of months) I'm interested in the positive side of flying this amazing machine. Thanks.
since i bought my dji i have had hundreds of flights with no issues shy my own pilot error,since i bought it i have also installed an fpv system immersion duov3 with a 600m immersiontx run into a 27in color monitor and it is intense!! read all the bad things people had to say about them and i think most of them have never owned one or have and didn't follow the instructions on how to use them if the did they would have an excellent time with it!! mine has taken some serious abuse and still flies like the day i bought it!! i have vids on you tube under brian mire check them out an see

I don't actually log my flights but I reckon somewhere in the region of 200 flights between my fc40 and p2 none vision. 2 crashes, 1 with cheap Chinese props made it fly like a bastard into a bush (no damage) and once lost sight of it behind a hedge and clipped a branch (broken leg). Both Phantoms have been faultless, touch wood, My H3-3d gimbal/hero3/4 has been a little more troublesome.
Overall, best flying machines I've ever had, and I have had a lot :)

Attachments

• P1020809.JPG
    P1020809.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 250

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj