How many still use prop guards

Reaction score
I just got a free set and not sure about putting on. I have gone through a set of factory props and carbon fiber props from tip overs. So who has and likes them?

They do create more drag, and allow wind to blow the craft around more. This seems to be the objection of most. I have yet to really quantify how bad this is.

However, I've already destroyed 2 rotors with a tip over on concrete, and another really minor no-damage 3' crash onto grass from barely nudging a small sapling-like tree might have been prevented by them. (I had actually ordered the guards with the P2V, but they were essentially backordered.) So far additional weight and drag have not destroyed or damaged anything, but props hitting things have.

If you use prop guards, make sure you get the 9' ones or whatever ones are "wide" enough to actually guard the rotors. For a while, people were ordering guards only to find they were too small.

Every other landing is a crash. About 20% of the flights are a crash.

It's great to be able to upright my machine and keep going. :cool:

Worth their weight in gold.

Zoeconner said:
I just got a free set and not sure about putting on. I have gone through a set of factory props and carbon fiber props from tip overs. So who has and likes them?

Never have never will

BTW, mine came with a little piece of string in the bag with the bolts. What the heck is this supposed to be for? I have a hard time imagining anything involving this string that wouldn't be more of a threat to normal operation than anything that could help.

rjstone said:
BTW, mine came with a little piece of string in the bag with the bolts. What the heck is this supposed to be for? I have a hard time imagining anything involving this string that wouldn't be more of a threat to normal operation than anything that could help.

it goes through the little holes in the ends of the guards and you make a loop around the copter through all 8 holes making sure it is below the prop guards and above the holes between the 4 guards. you then tension the string loop slightly by hooking it over the little barbs under each guard, if you tie it quite well you will only need to tension it under 1 or 2 guards. this then puts a string barrier between the prop guards which stops you flying into small diameter vertical obstacles and damaging the props between the guards. but i haven't bothered with the string myself . i have always flown with prop guards and have only needed them once and that was since fitting the tall wide landing gear that makes the thing less stable on the ground!! but the UC does keep the camera out of the grass.

Why are so many people tipping over ?
I used them on one flight when I first got my P1 I will never use them agin .

dirkclod said:
rjstone said:
Start this at about 1:30 into the video and it shows ya ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWc_5bkiQ9c

Plus 1 on the video.

My string stretches when it gets damp so I have tied it a bit tight. Evening & night flights usually require adjustment to the outer barbs.

The wind rarely stops blowing on the plains when I have the time to fly. Landings are pretty tough on irregular terrain. Not making excuses for crashing all the time. Theoretically I am in control of what my Phantom does. Ha

These are the same folks that made the prop guard video, just their home page. They have some great videos. :D
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrREhH ... dKM6uQyuWA

I have had prop guards on from day one. They have saved my props many times. The Phantom will tip over easily. I never put the string on. I figured it could get caught up easier in trees. It's easier to see and flys fine. I think some will not use guards because of their ego. Maybe they think if some see them with guards, it will diminish their pro standing in the community. If they have never used them, how can they make a negative comment with conviction.

IflyinWY said:
..... The wind rarely stops blowing on the plains when I have the time to fly. Landings are pretty tough on irregular terrain. Not making excuses for crashing all the time. Theoretically I am in control of what my Phantom does. Ha....
The wind does make it hard to land. With your wind problem, maybe you should learn the correct and safe way to hand land. Don't forget the leather glove in your pocket.

I flew my first few flights with them. Then ordered the quick-connect adapters and have not used the guards since. I do keep them with my Phantom just in case I want to fly indoors / close to trees / cliffs / buildings etc (not people!). Also moved to 100% catch landings so that is not an issue.

HacKiwi said:
I flew my first few flights with them. Then ordered the quick-connect adapters and have not used the guards since. I do keep them with my Phantom just in case I want to fly indoors / close to trees / cliffs / buildings etc (not people!). Also moved to 100% catch landings so that is not an issue.
+1......I used them initially and was happy I did. Then I started hand catching 100% of the time and now I only use them when flying around people.....and sometime not even them. I've made lots of flights and have yet to damage any props.

Happyflyer said:
IflyinWY said:
..... The wind rarely stops blowing on the plains when I have the time to fly. Landings are pretty tough on irregular terrain. Not making excuses for crashing all the time. Theoretically I am in control of what my Phantom does. Ha....
The wind does make it hard to land. With your wind problem, maybe you should learn the correct and safe way to hand land. Don't forget the leather glove in your pocket.

Appreciate the advice but, I know where to buy another flying machine. Don't know where to buy another finger. The nearest hospital is about an hour away. We try to be pretty careful out here.

I think I'll get one of those big nets you hit golf balls into and put it over the bed of a pickup.
Yep, get over the net, shut the motors off and plop right down.

I will need the prop guards more than ever at that point.

I was using them for a while. After experiencing instability while decending, I thought it may be the prop guards causing interference. After taking them off, she flew perfectly. I have not put them on since!!!!

Doono said:
4wd said:
IflyinWY said:
Every other landing is a crash. About 20% of the flights are a crash..
:eek:

Same here :eek: He needs to take off quicker and land slower. (or hand catch

:eek: Just think how I feel.

Doin a little better, 6 out of 10 now stay upright. :D

UpDaTe... :cool:
My buddy, really it wasn't me, hit a power pole at about 35 feet this evening and it crashed to the ground. We laughed like hell. His children really gave him a bad time. Broke 1/2 of 1 prop guard off and busted the front half of both sides of the landing gear.

Cut the string off the prop guards and it flew just fine.

Prop guards are like rubber baby buggy bumpers... :lol:

Took mine off the other day... feels like a young kid when you take training wheels off bike :p

Btw I never used the string.. but was its purpose to stop objects getting near the props ? Never really got the point of the string. Looked funny aswell... :]

Took mine off a long while ago. My future son in law who is a flying maniac put them on his fc40. He crashed doing his regular crazy maneuvers. They haven't been put on any quad since. Seeing was believing.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj