How many satellites do I need?

After reading though this entire thread - my guess/prediction is that it's a hardware problem with his GPS and that it's going to require a replacement.

To the poster that keeps suggesting that the RC might not be connected - doesn't the fact that he's able to fly it using the RC kinda confirm that they are paired and connected - not to mention that he can see how many satellites are connected and other telemetry?

It's also unlikely to have anything to do with the DJI Go app. The LEDS should go green to indicate a GPS lock even if no device is connected at all.

If the device is still new enough, I'd take it back to where you bought it and try to get it replaced. If they won't do that, get an RMA from DJI and send it in. Don't give them any wiggle room when you open the ticket. Tell them that the GPS is defective and you think it needs to be replaced. Use that as your starting point. Don't muddy the issue by telling them all the things you've already tried - or what you though it might be at first. Just tell them "My Phantom has a defective GPS in it and I need it to be repaired or replaced." If they ask you for additional information, be ready to provide it - but don't include it in your original message. The longer the message, and the more you talk about I. It - the more chance there is of the support rep becoming confused or misinterpreting something and putting your ticket aside for a second or third opinion.

Good luck. I hope you're able to swap it out at the point of sale!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

This is what I'm doing. I sent an email to the place I bought it from last night asking about an exchange. I hope they get back today but I doubt it since its the weekend now. I am going to push to have it exchanged. There is obviously something wrong with it and it's nothing that I am doing. This is clear to me simply from the fact that my friend has the same one and is doing the exact same start up procedure I am and his will lock into GPS right away and mine won't.

Reactions: captainmilehigh

To the poster that keeps suggesting that the RC might not be connected - doesn't the fact that he's able to fly it using the RC kinda confirm that they are paired and connected - not to mention that he can see how many satellites are connected and other telemetry?

I thought it could be intermittent - and he uses two different freqs

I wouldn't think so. I haven't heard of GPS dropout due to a failed compass calibration. I asked msinger to view this thread and offer his expertise, but he's a busy guy. It's got me stumped.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
Also keep in mind underground metal or utilities. I had a similar situation with underground electric and could not get a successful calibration. I've read overhead powerlines could do it also?

Just to make sure I'm doing it right can someone possibly post up the correct procedure that you use? Maybe I am missing something. Thanks again for your help everyone.
This is probably not related to your problem of losing GPS signals but a little hint on how I stopped drifting on 360 deg yaw turns.

I was having drifting problems sometimes when just hovering in place and other times when I yawed the Phantom left and right at zero airspeed. I'm a wheelchair user so calibration fails when I try to calibrate so I use a 'helper'. To correct that I have my helper put a small object on the ground below the Phantom and then do the compass calibration keeping the aircraft in a vertical line directly over that item on the ground. I noticed people tend to spin their body around rather than the aircraft which could cause the compass to be off enough to cause the drift.

I really don't know if this relevant at all when calibrating the compass, but in my case, my P3 stays in place now when yawing. Within 1 to 1.5 feet instead of the 3-6 feet it that it used to drift.

Reactions: gvsukids
I had the above problem for months when I was a n00B, but I thought drifting while rotating was what it was supposed to do! Then a member named Kirk something advised me that I should be able to spin around like a top and it should stay in one spot. He advised me to do an IMU calibration and that should solve the problem. I tried it and it worked! Now it spins like a top and stays in one place!

Reactions: gvsukids
Just an update in case anyone was wondering what happened. I ended up getting ahold of DJI through an online chat and told them what was wrong and what it was doing. They ended up giving me a case number for repair and a UPS label to send it back. I was told it would be 2 weeks before I heard anything. They got it and had it back to me within 10 days. I'm not sure what they ended up doing to it but it works just as it should now. I only have 1 flight on it but its great! Awesome pictures and videos. After a little hassle in the beginning I'm finally glad I bought one.

Just an update in case anyone was wondering what happened. I ended up getting ahold of DJI through an online chat and told them what was wrong and what it was doing. They ended up giving me a case number for repair and a UPS label to send it back. I was told it would be 2 weeks before I heard anything. They got it and had it back to me within 10 days. I'm not sure what they ended up doing to it but it works just as it should now. I only have 1 flight on it but its great! Awesome pictures and videos. After a little hassle in the beginning I'm finally glad I bought one.

Thanks for the update. It's great that it worked out in a positive manner, and you are back in the air again.

So get out there and FLY. You've got a bit of catching up to do.

Calm Winds and Blue Skies!!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj