How many safe flights in a row?

Reaction score
I've learned a lot of lessons reading my thread "How did you crash your drone?' #1- stay away from trees! I've become very paranoid about losing my P2V though after reading everyone's stories. Then I began to wonder, what is the ratio of bad stories to good stories? So, if you've never crashed your drone, how many safe flights in a row have you accomplished. I've had 20 flights without any incidents. This includes highs of 1500 feet and almost a mile away(needed RTH to get that back). How about you?

Lol I wonder if you can set up a poll for this. I've had my vision since christmas, I've probably flown more than fifty flights and haven't even had to replace my props yet :roll:

Learn to fly like you learned to drive.
Try out every option, find the limits by practicing.
Be aware constantly, as if you were inside the aircraft yourself.
Then there is no need to crash.

Crashing happens when you are reckless, or when the aircraft fails technically. End of story...

grinsven said:
find the limits by practicing.

Isn't that when bad things happens. Usually you won't know the limit until you've crossed it. Once you've crossed it, you more or less lose control? :lol:

yawnalot29 said:
grinsven said:

Isn't that when bad things happens. Usually you won't know the limit until you've crossed it. Once you've crossed it, you more or less lose control? :lol:

I think by "lose control" you mean lose TX/RX link. Because you don't have to lose control when you lose control. Everyone needs to fly smart if they don't want to crash (duh). What I mean is things like:
Don't test your range limit by flying somewhere where a RTH can run into an obstacle.
Don't test your maneuverability skills around trees for the first time under a canopy of 50 trees.
Don't do a speed test around lots of obstacles.

Do practice your RTH/regain control skills at shorter-than-the-limit distances in NAZA mode using S1, so if you ever have to do an actual RTH you'll know how to regain control or what to expect.
Do lots of flying in open areas first, before you attempt flying in close quarters.

You guys know what I mean. I am no expert, but those who have an incident free record have never flown beyond their skill or knowledge level. Once you have all the skills and knowledge, pushing the limits becomes easier.

I only had my P2V for 3 weeks, but I never crashed it and flew around 14 sessions.

Waiting on my P2V+.

Just my $0.02

One... :D

BlackTracer said:
yawnalot29 said:
grinsven said:

I think by "lose control" you mean lose TX/RX link. Because you don't have to lose control when you lose control. Everyone needs to fly smart if they don't want to crash (duh). What I mean is things like:
Don't test your range limit by flying somewhere where a RTH can run into an obstacle.
Don't test your maneuverability skills around trees for the first time under a canopy of 50 trees.
Don't do a speed test around lots of obstacles.

Do practice your RTH/regain control skills at shorter-than-the-limit distances in NAZA mode using S1, so if you ever have to do an actual RTH you'll know how to regain control or what to expect.
Do lots of flying in open areas first, before you attempt flying in close quarters.

You guys know what I mean. I am no expert, but those who have an incident free record have never flown beyond their skill or knowledge level. Once you have all the skills and knowledge, pushing the limits becomes easier.

I only had my P2V for 3 weeks, but I never crashed it and flew around 14 sessions.

Waiting on my P2V+.

Just my $0.02

All good advice

Not sure exactly how many flights but I have 70 gopro videos taken from the Phantom since January 2014. :D

Define safe. Ive only drawn blood once and it was my own. Iv'e def had a change in mentality from the begining. It's less like a toy now. No blood in a couple weeks now.

Nope no crashes in easily over 50 flights I've lost count at this point. Tho the last flight I let my friend fly he flew out too far by accident cause of the occasionally laggy new version of the DJI app and ran out of battery power before the phantom could fly all the way back. Someone found it tho and apparently it landed safely but chipped two props as it somehow ended upside down most likely do to drift during auto landing when the battery drops below a certain level. So I don't think that last one technically counts as a crash. Or maybe kinda sorta if you count a tip over after a touch down.

happydays said:
gunslinger said:

That many, wow!

I'm really, really, hoping for two. But... I have all the latest DJI updates, so I'm not overconfident... :) :D :lol: :roll:

-slinger

SlackerATX said:
Define safe. Ive only drawn blood once and it was my own. Iv'e def had a change in mentality from the begining. It's less like a toy now. No blood in a couple weeks now.

I cut myself taking the props off once. They have sharp edges! So, it's important to be careful.

I have probably 75 flights on my P2V so far with only a couple of incidents.

Once, I managed to fly it high straight above me and it lost the control signal. I flipped the switch and got control back after it started to return home (which was right where it and I were). But, I didn't have time to move it away so it just lost signal again. This happened a few times. Finally, I got smart and just walked about ten yards away so that the helicopter was no longer straight above me and I was able to regain control. That was more frustrating than worrying though.

Last weekend, I had it zoom off in a random direction right after takeoff. Unfortunately, it was rushing quickly towards a group of people. I had to land it with significant angle on the right stick to slow it down and flipped it over on the ground. No damage. I must have taken off before the GPS had a lock that time.

-- Roger

jodaddy23 said:
i really don't count them , just have fun with it .

Ok, I don't write it down either, but I'm trying to stay within the scope of the question, that the Thread was started under.

Do you also not count crashes ? :roll:

38 flights so far, no crashes, no tip overs, and no fly away's (knock knock). Rock steady so far, but I have yet to 'push' it. I fly mostly LOS (within 1000') mainly due to area constraints. Had one scare in HL was bringing her back fast and then she just shot of on a tangent.... forgot about that 30' geo-fence and she switched to CL, after my heart slowed down I flipped to GPS and like a good little girl she just stopped and waited on me to make up my mind.

I've had one "Prop Wash" near incident I reckon I was about 1' off hitting the ground when it rose again, I saw it coming down way to fast still about 40' up and hit "pull up" (big learning experience)!
and about 30 flights so far a few near misses with tree branches but tend to fly higher over 150' at least , oh and one tip over on landing when I was still laterally moving, just made the blades dirty as so much rain, grass /soil was soft.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl