How many people have never had a crash?

Catch mine 99% of the time...Hoover it couple feet above me..walk up to unit...grasp land gear right hand..throttle off left hand...ps I wear safety glasses during the snatch and grab..ALWAYS!

Last edited:
flew over 600 birds in past year and a half and had one minor fly-away (my own mistake).
never crashed a bird yet.. knock-on-the-wood :)

Any tips on catching? I walked close to attempt but immediately backed off in fear of losing my hand!

UK
Descend to just above head height, reach out with one hand grasp landing gear legs firmly and use other hand to descend by holding full down left stick. Hold. Motors will shut off. Done

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

No crashes.

One slight tip over with my P2 from leaving it idling after landing almost two years ago.
Nicked two of the props.

Don't think I'll be catching mine anytime soon.. As I musician I'm quite fond of my fingers, and I can always make more money to buy another phantom whilst I have them....
Like mentioned before, hand catching is very safe and can even prevent accidents. If you make sure the bird is a bit higher you can reach out to it and you are sure you'll never hit the props.
Another advantage of hand catching is that you practice precise maneuvering. :)

Reactions: snowghost
I am worried about tipovers during landing. I bought prop guards but decided to not install them aftering reading too many arguments against them. I considered catching but I am worried about my safety. I decided on going with some improved landing gear that can land on uneven conditions that looks a lot more stable. No need for prop guards or catching:

DJi-Phantom-3-Leg-Extensions-Accessory.png

Landing your aircraft requires more precision than grabbing it from the air.

As far as safety is concerned hand catching can never be safer than landing and shutting off motors before approaching.

With the Phantom 1, yes; With the Phantom 2 , yes: With the Phantom 3 Pro, not yet. Haha! After learning that crashes are part of the R/C life, flying slope and thermal gliders, I reckon it will eventually happen with my beloved P3P. Just 60 flights on the P3P...

Nothing like a crash that wrecks your craft to make you pay attention to details before, during and after flights ...

Yep. Just the other day my plane got eaten by a tree. Had to climb down an embankment to get it. Now I really avoid the trees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: gringorio
50 flights or so and so far its been perfect. I did tip it over once while taking off of slanted grass, but no damage whatsoever.
I have had this happen scared me made a loud screeching sound power cycled was fine. Did yours make any noise when the prob hit?

Reactions: NormanNormal
Probably the third day of ownership I got a little cocky and tried to do a low level shot coming towards me off the ocean and onto the beach. Everything went great until I forgot about the tree behind me. I was very lucky and did not suffer any serious damage. It did make that awful screeching noise before the battery was ejected. I got that awful feeling in my gut...WTF did I just do? Of course the first words out of my loving wife's mouth was "Well there goes 2 thousand dollars".

I actually am glad I had that crash, it made me a better pilot. I have much better situational awareness now and plan my shots and flights much more carefully. My maiden flight with my P4 I was attacked by a flock of birds...actually they were just very curious I think. I switched it to Sport mode and got the hell out of there.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: rene van der meer
I have had this happen scared me made a loud screeching sound power cycled was fine. Did yours make any noise when the prob hit?

Had my first tip/flip over in the park the other day when landing, even with my new polar pro landing gear. Gust of wind got me. Flipped overr completely on it's top and made a terrible, horrible, loud screeching sound. Desperately pulled down the left stick for it to stop. Longest 3 seconds of my life. Other than grass stains all over the props and the shell, which was easily cleaned, no damage and it flies fine. I too wondered about that terrible screech sound and thought for sure I damaged something. Did some searches and I've seen others post about it. Maybe it's normal when the props can't turn? Sure does sound like it's dying or something awful is happening, that is for sure. :D

Learned to hand catch since this and will be doing so unless I had flat surface with no wind to land on.

Reactions: snowghost
Yes defiantly felt that lol I too have learned to find a hard surface to land off grass is a no go for me

One full year and 100 flights with no issues. Had a year of practice with toy quads plus have drone simulator software with controller. Would never let a newbie touch a Phantom. I don't share mine either, others are welcome to watch and no talking to the pilot!

One full year and 100 flights with no issues. Had a year of practice with toy quads plus have drone simulator software with controller. Would never let a newbie touch a Phantom. I don't share mine either, others are welcome to watch and no talking to the pilot!
What simulator and controller are you using?

I had a minor crash, but totally my fault. I had not practiced catching the drone out of the air and took off, using the case as a launch pad. The case is not large, so missed the landing and broke two props.

I have since practiced takeoffs and landing by hand. Good also for the beach so no sand, or from a boat. Also made a cool landing pad I bring.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik