How many people fly with Prop Guards?

I don't fly with prop guards. I had almost 2 years XP with heli's (coaxial to fixed pitch to collective pitch) before jumping to quads.

Now if a phantom was my first heli/quad rc experience then I certainly would suggest prop guards until you quit running into things :D

Let me ask you Kydan, as one who has been around other helo's. How many times did you pluck them out of a hover or try to catch them while landing? If not, why not? :?:
kydan said:
I don't fly with prop guards. I had almost 2 years XP with heli's (coaxial to fixed pitch to collective pitch) before jumping to quads.

Now if a phantom was my first heli/quad rc experience then I certainly would suggest prop guards until you quit running into things :D

I used them at first, but they kept getting in camera shots for every little movement I made. They also caught a decent amount of wind and made the drone a little bit less stable as a result.

I took them off and bought some of the carbon fiber reinforced props from DJI. Happy with the change. :p

Can.drones gave them to me when I picked up my "3". I used them for my first week of flying, did help with the occasional close call to branchs, , kind of bumped her away from danger. As said above, like training wheels, I didn't see any noticeable change when removed.

Never used them, in fact my current set of props have been on for 47 flights. They are only showing a few nicks from hitting bugs

I just added a set of detachable orange and black guards. I like that the part attached to the Phantom reinforces the motor mount areas. The visibility is tremendous for orientation. The quick disconnects are handy, in that you have the option of snapping them on quickly if needed. I did some aggressive flying last weekend to see if there was any instability, and did not notice anything out of the ordinary. This included fast descents straight down.

Reactions: mmtphoto
Mine handled horrible in the wind with the prop guards. Took them off way better.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Leave them off. They are sails.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Leave them off. They are sails.

Agreed[emoji106]. Had them on my first toy quad for the first couple flights then took them off. They fly better with them off. The wind catches them, they wobble on decent, they rob power and battery life. Crashed my toy quads a bunch and never have broken a prop...never have crashed my phantom but I fly it a lot different then my toy quads. I'm a lot more carful, it's not a toy[emoji106]

Reactions: m0j0
I think DJIs guards contribute to the infamous cracking around the motor mounts. As other have said, they are like a sail. Don't use them. Only time I might consider it is if I have to fly indoors.

Reactions: m0j0
I nearly always fly with prob guards. I haven't seen a downside with possible exception of reduced flight time and occasional prop guard in the picture. Guards haven't kept the P3A out of trees but seem to take most of the punishment the few times it has hit the ground hard. They are a lot cheaper - and easier - to replace than a broken drone body.

I'd love to see results of flying with them and without them in a controlled test environment. Some say wind affects them like sails, some say no difference. Myself, I've never had any issues flying them in wind. I'm not saying it won't. Just saying that the wind I fly in it has never been an issue.
Who has access to a wind tunnel?
:)

Agreed[emoji106]. never have crashed my phantom but I fly it a lot different then my toy quads. I'm a lot more carful, it's not a toy[emoji106]

Exactly.. I use the guards on the Hubsan. I fly that thing really aggressively. I actually flew it into my wood burning stove last winter... completely melted the guards and a couple of props.. Replaced the guards popped off the melted propellers... Didn't have to get an RMA. I will continue to cautiously fly the P3 and recklessly fly the Hubsan. Seems like a nice balance.

If you require prop guards then you shouldn't be flying a drone. For kids and absolute beginners only.

If you require prop guards then you shouldn't be flying a drone. For kids and absolute beginners only.

was that nessary.gif

Reactions: mmtphoto
i fly with them on all the time. yesterday took them off as they were getting in a shot i was trying to get. landed took them off got the shot and landed again to fit them back on. when landing the second time i was landing on grass and landed on a rock i couldnt see. the drone tipped forward and front 2 props into the grass. luckily no damage but this is the reason i use them,

Reactions: MasterBlaster
Never used them, never will.. I generally have a lot of wide open space to fly around in, never had a need for them. Also they bring many disadvantages, weight, drag, reduced range/performance.. They suck basically.

Reactions: Zuzua
I suggest not using them. It gives you false sense or security and people tend to go nearer to things they wouldn't go otherwise. Plus the fact that it disables collision avoidance sensors on the Phantom 4

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers