How many people actually balance their props?

I have a quick question, for those who balance their props by applying a small piece of scotch tape, do you apply to the top side or under side of the blade? Does it make a difference?

The top side is the one that has the least amount of debris going over it. So I would suggest people always use tape or, in my case, clear fingernail polish, on the top. Both the leading edge and the lower part of the prop has the most debris going into it.

My son brought his P2V RP Gimbal over so I could add the slow yaw mod to his controller. The first thing I noticed was he had added some CF props on it. once modded, we went out to test it. I noticed it was flying erratically. Jerking back and forth, jiggling, wiggling, generally not stable. I suggested we might want to calibrate the IMU, so we did. While it was calibrating I suggested the CF props may be the problem. Once calibrated, he started taking those props off. I said hey, if we change two things at once, we may not know which actually had an affect on it. So we left the CF props on and once again, very unstable. So off with the CF's and on with new stock props. It flew smooth as butter! I couldn't believe the difference.

I never bought into the CF's myself and these were no name's likely out of balance. I did buy some off brand plastic props that gave me lots of jello. So sticking with genuine stock props here.

I know P3 forum but props are the same"ish".

BTW, that slow yaw mod is awesome.

Geo

Always, I have seen what high frequency vibrations can do to an airframe, so I eliminate all that I can. I am of the firm opinion that a lot of the motor mount cracks we are seeing are caused by vibration. It would be interesting to do a poll of everyone who has these cracks to see if they balanced their props or not. Having been in Helicopters for 20 years I have seen frame cracks due to excessive vibration

I have a quick question, for those who balance their props by applying a small piece of scotch tape, do you apply to the top side or under side of the blade? Does it make a difference?
I have always done Underside and stay clear of the very edges so as to not cause turbulance

Hello there,
I carry the DU-BRO 499 in my flight case in the field...along with black elc. tape for out of balance props...I have had GREAT results with this way of balancing ...I do not sand because it is not as fast as the tape method for me...also the small particles of dust sanding produces is more than I care to deal with in the field or any ware near my sUAS...that being said I always balance new props before I go out in the field...but I feel that it is a must to maintain your props...for me that starts by keeping them balanced...!!! ;-)
Reminder: black prop threads run opposite of silver props so when you spin them on the stock rod of this balancer as described pay attention to the direction you need to spin them on and off...!!! ;-)

Last edited:
Hello there,
I carry the DU-BRO 499 in my flight case in the field...along with black elc. tape for out of balance props...I have had GREAT results with this way of balancing ...I do not sand because it is not as fast as the tape method for me...also the small particles of dust sanding produces is more than I care to deal with in the field or any ware near my sUAS...that being said I always balance new props before I go out in the field...but I feel that it is a must to maintain your props...for me that starts by keeping them balanced...!!! ;-)

Link:
great video but you forgot to show how to balance the hub;)

great video but you forgot to show how to balance the hub;)
Hello there,
Thank you for your input...I do it the same way I do the blade...I put tape on the side that needs to be heavier...the prop you saw in the video...I would add the tape to the hub area that always lands on the top in between the blades...!!! ;-)

Last edited:
i have TBS Self Tightening Prop Set 9x5" PRO and all slowly fall to the side where it is drawn open padlock

Always

I just purchased a balancing rig as a result of this post. Thinking about it....it's no different than balancing cutting blades on a lawnmower when you feel vibration - when they are balanced right the vibration disappears and so does the threat of engine wear and frame cracks etc.. Makes sense to me that this is proper maintenance.

Reactions: acherman
I like the video, from what I read that is called static balancing of the prop. I feel there is more to it though, mine can stay put vertically or horizontally, but when I spin I can tell theres still work to do, only Im not sure what. I could use a second video, expanding it a bit.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie