How many of you came from a AR Drone?

Reaction score
Last summer my quad was a AR Drone. In comparison it is a POS. But, I learned a lot about flying drones and filming video. So yesterday I took it out for what I thought would be a short flight and as usual, lost control from 50 feet away and watched it land in a tree, about 40 feet up. With the help of a neighbor and an extension ladder we went to get it. Even after extending the ladder fully I was about 10 feet short. Duct taped a rake to a long pole and managed to shake the branch enough till it dropped out of the tree. Amazingly when it hit the ground there was no damage. It would probably be a good drone if they included a remote instead of using your smartphone as remote. Well I don't know if it's worth flying again, but last summer it was a lot of fun. Now in comparison, it's a POS. Guess I'll put it up on Ebay for $100 I hope.
Who else came from a AR Drone to P2V?

I too came from a Parrot AR Drone and yeah I agree that it's pretty awful compared to a Phantom. It damages all too easily. It can't take any sort of winds without being blown away. And my two Parrots have been froth with bugs and problems. I've literally spent more time fixing them than enjoying flying them. Both of my Parrots will also be headed to Ebay or Craigs List as well.

Make that three of us. Right after I got mine, my buddy got a vision, and that was that. Haha

Make that 7. I sold mine to a mate and he had the exact same thing happen as the OP, but when he poked it out of the tree and it was falling to the ground from 20 metres up it suddenly started up again and auto landed itself :shock: he can't believe how clever it is and I can't believe how the hell it did that :eek:

i ALMOST bought a ar drone before i learned of the phantom vision..actually in my research of the ar drone is how i found out about it. thank God i didnt buy one or i'd be in the same boat as yall lol.

tizzl10 said:
i ALMOST bought a ar drone before i learned of the phantom vision..actually in my research of the ar drone is how i found out about it. thank God i didnt buy one or i'd be in the same boat as yall lol.

Yep, VERY good thing you didn't buy one. You'd be quickly paying for more in repairs than it cost to buy. Also many people don't know in the Parrot app there is a "Rescue" function in case just something like getting caught in a tree happens. Silly people :p

I've owned 3 AR Drone 2.0's over this past year.. and I have to say that although the P2V is completely worlds ahead of the AR, the AR was still fun to fly and it was fun to modify and tinker with and crash and push the limits of.

I had lost 2 of them and just recently had one found and returned.. so I have it as a backup or alternative flyer when I need a fix!

The AR was my gateway drug :)..

BenDronePilot said:
tizzl10 said:

Yep, VERY good thing you didn't buy one. You'd be quickly paying for more in repairs than it cost to buy. Also many people don't know in the Parrot app there is a "Rescue" function in case just something like getting caught in a tree happens. Silly people :p

Rescue button is worthless

Geert said:
I have an AR drone too. I bought it 2 months before the releasing of the P2V.
Now it is collecting dust.

:lol:

Geert.

LOL I did the same thing. Got my second AR Drone the "Power Edition" literally 3 months before getting the P2V. What a waste.

im glad to hear these stories. i had a AR drone and only had horror with it. more repairs then flying.
Seeing the video's how the phantom flies in wind, i'm really thrilled in getting one of those.

Me too. It got me into this hobby and I haven't looked back.

It was a bit of a love and hate relationship. Often it would just fall out of the sky. In the early firmware releases there was a automatic shutdown of the motors at a certain angle. Stop or turn too quickly and the **** thing just shut down and fell to the ground.

However you can't compare It to the Phantom. It's more of an indoor or very calm weather outdoor easy to use 'toy'. It was never designed to compete against a Phantom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Add me to the list....
So my journey has been:

AR Drone
Phantom 2 Vision
(Now on the way ) The Vision Plus :lol:

This is getting expensive !

Count me in as a former AR Drone owner.

I've invested a ton of money on that quad too... Mirumod + Dx6i + Ultraflight Upgrades + Bearings + Cases.

Throw in 5MPH winds at that thing and poof, it's outta here.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers