How many of you are using the DJI 16GB sdcard for 4k?????

Could this be why I was having rendering issues while trying to export a 4K clip? Gahhhh I just wanna record, edit, and post with no issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A slow card can cause artifacts and dropped frames, its the sustained write speed thats critical for recording..

Im sure my panasonic could pull 1080, but 4k? no way reliably.

A slow card can cause artifacts and dropped frames, its the sustained write speed thats critical for recording..

Im sure my panasonic could pull 1080, but 4k? no way reliably.

Wow... Yea I get rendering error 10008 in iMovie. It says lost or damaged frames. gonna shoot in 1080p and try to make a movie. We'll see if it works.

negative, capital letter = megaBYTE, The program writes a temp 1GB file to the sdcard and deletes it after the test

I don't understand what I said wrong?

Why do we keep converting bytes to bits and back and forward. Just use bits and call it a day. The only time you'll get byte output is if you're copying and pasting or downloading something.

Whoa... I believe you think that the Phantom is capable of high quality 4K bit rate. If you compared it to a DSLR recording 4K you'd be very dissapointed. Many cell phones record 4K at a bit rate similar to the Phantom... which is rather minimal. The included Micro SD card is sufficient for the 4K transfer speeds of the Phantom.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
This is an incredibly confusing subject that I certainly dont even understand completely.

Some of you got Lexars which are right up there with the sandisks and samsungs which consistantly perform to the specs they are stamped with. Its obvious that my panasonic comes nowhere close to advertised speed markings.

I'll just add my panasonic to my sdcard recycle bin, maybe plug it in someones phone at best....

True, if you read it literally...

Here is a good site to calculate video bitrate requirements, the link is setup for full 4k RGB. But keep in mind this is 'without' any compression..... Play around with different color model selections and see results.
Can you just explain in layman's terms without linking to an external website?

Can you just explain in layman's terms without linking to an external website?
If you happened to get the panasonic sdcard, you will likely run into 4k video/pic anomalies somewhere down the line if not already.
Set it aside and spend around $30 and get yourself a 64GB, 4k certified card from a mainstream memory manufacturer, sandisk, samsung, lexar(crutial).

If you got the Lexar you should be in fine shape, go buy yourself a lottery ticket.....

If you happened to get the panasonic sdcard, you will likely run into 4k video/pic anomalies somewhere down the line if not already.
Set it aside and spend around $30 and get yourself a 64GB, 4k certified card from a mainstream memory manufacturer, sandisk, samsung, lexar(crutial).
So, we should all just go buy a new memory card... because the stock memory card has a max write speed that is only three times faster than the P4 can write? That's the part I'm trying to wrap my head around.

So, we should all just go buy a new memory card... because the stock memory card has a max write speed that is only three times faster than the P4 can write? That's the part I'm trying to wrap my head around.

Seems as people got different "stock" cards. Which one do you have? Mine came with a Lexar which is just fine.

I have a Lexar memory card too. All of the stock memory cards should work just fine though.

You believe everything dji publishes on their website as gospel?
especially advertised P4 run time and range.....DOH!

If everybody includes the 'got a Lexar with mine', then no...

Download crystaldiskmark (freeware) and test your own cards, it makes a big difference.

The panasonic card they stuffed into mine blows chunks....

You believe everything dji publishes on their website as gospel?
especially advertised P4 run time and range
Yes, I believe the advertised max run time and range. You don't? Or, are you also confusing the max with the average?

Back to the topic though -- I just don't understand what you are trying to tell us in this thread. Are you saying the P4 can really write data faster than 7.5 MB/s? Or, that some of the stock memory cards don't write at the advertised speed?

I'm just trying to learn whatever it is you're trying to teach us. You just keep changing the subject though. I'm completely lost here.

A couple of things to clear up to diffuse the confusion.

MB = Megabyte
Mb = Megabit

There is 8 megabits in 1 megabyte.

Stock Lexar 663x card is rated at 95MBps read speeds. During a test, I got 94MBps read and 48MBps write.

Phantom 4 writes at maximum of 60Mbps which is 7.5MBps.

7.5MBps is 6.4 times less the speed that the Lexar 663x card can handle.

With that being said, seems as not everyone got the Lexar card with their P4 so their specs may differ with a different card.

It appears to me that most all microSD cards should work fine since they can all write much more the a mere 10MB/sec. I have never noticed any difference with the DJI cards versus the other 32GB and 64GB cards that I've bought from Samsung and SanDisk. They all work just fine. The H.264 compression in the bird camera is designed to run at a certain max speed, and I'm sure the chip DJI selected for that is well defined in the chip manufacturers datasheet at 60Mb/sec (7.5MB/sec), so there's no interpretation or fudge room. This speed is also typical for point and shoot cameras, likely due to similar compression chips in this price range. As others have mentioned, if you're using a more expensive Nikon or Canon camera that can write much faster, the speed of the flash may be more important to an extent that you would see difference in the resulting playback of video. However, I don't see flash speed as an issue with P3 or P4 cameras, every UHS1 Class 10 micro SD I've bought at Costco or Amazon works great. I happen to prefer 32GB size, enough for 5 to 6 flights (1080@60fps). They only cost $10/ea. IMO, 64GB is too big, holding too much video that would be bad if something happened to the one chip. I like keeping my videos spread out over multiple chips for less risk.

Reactions: KevMo Photog

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers