How many is too many

Reaction score
Thee FAA claims to be registering 2000 drones per day! So here is the question. How many is too many? how long does anyone think it might be before the FAA declares there are too many drones and the sky is unsafe for normal air travel. Especially emergency flights like medical, police, etc.

As an avid outdoorsman and one who spends a lot of time in my Polaris RZR, I have seen the effects of the explosion in the number of ATV's and how a few knotheads can give everyone the the offhighway vehicle circle a bad name. All across the US more and more areas are banning the use of ATVs.

What do you think is the future holding in store for the drone crowd.

numbers don't mean anything I have never even seen a drone flying at all around my whole area

Reactions: MrTommy
I do a bit of metal detecting and some of the farmers ask me if it was my drone over their garden or property etc (which is isnt - i tell them when im around), told them to shoot them down if theyre invading their privacy, one farmers wife told me her young daughter was in the garden watchin one watching her from about 30 foot away, she grabbed her daughter and ran inside, the drone vanished, she described it as a bluish grey colour.

So yeh - complaints, more regulations, fines and accidents spring to mind in "congested" areas.

I do a bit of metal detecting and some of the farmers ask me if it was my drone over their garden or property etc (which is isnt - i tell them when im around), told them to shoot them down if theyre invading their privacy, one farmers wife told me her young daughter was in the garden watchin one watching her from about 30 foot away, she grabbed her daughter and ran inside, the drone vanished, she described it as a bluish grey colour.

So yeh - complaints, more regulations, fines and accidents spring to mind in "congested" areas.
you never tell any one to shoot them down its like firing at a aircraft could land some serious jail time and fines

Do you often advise your neighbors to shoot at aircraft?

Reactions: Biggle
253 million cars in the US with an average age of 11 years old providing regular transportation.

20K drones a day is nothing..
I wouldn't call it nothing. I'm sure the FAA has some words that can't be repeated here due to the filters. Supposedly in my little Alaskan town of 5000 people there are 23 registered UAV users. I know of two people with Phantoms, there is an Inspire that flies around occasionally but I don't know who runs it. Given the terrain here (water surrounded by steep hills boxed in by an airport with a Coast Guard station and a 'seaplane' base) we have a fairly limited amount of flyable territory.

I'm pretty sure I'd see evidence of more than three UAVs.

So I wonder if other places have lots of drone owners that don't fly, fly very infrequently or where just terminally confused when they signed up.

What is with this "spying on daughters" crap? And Farmer's Daughter to boot. Total made up to fit the common narrative. Anyway, there is no stopping hobby drones. Next year we will have 250 class drones with better capabilities than a P4. In a few years they will fit in your pocket and FPV through Google Glass type eyewear. So keep an eye on those daughters.

Ah, thanks. What is very unclear is how long this rate will continue.
What I see in the article is a mixing of numbers for the hobbyist registration and the commercial 107 license. To read the article one would think they plan to go from 15,000 commercial licenses this year to 1.3 million three years later! 1.3 million registered hobbyists perhaps, I doubt we will see 1.3 million commercial licenses issued and competing for jobs. I hope not anyway, that number would drive the pay rate down to near minimum wage, at which point, why bother?

What is with this "spying on daughters" crap? And Farmer's Daughter to boot. Total made up to fit the common narrative....

I ride motorcycles and it's often quoted in their mags with the "I didn't see the motorcyclist when I ran over him/her and killed them" as a very common narrative too. There have been a few videos off some bike's cameras where they deliberately try and run them off the road too. LA has the lane splitting bikers, which is legal in CA, yet people still open doors, lane check them, etc.

I've wondered if the P4 didn't have a camera, say a false smooth underbelly, if people would still go nuts about them flying around and filming their nekkid whatevers? "But officer, my drone has no camera and I'm just practicing my flying or Litchi program!" Then what?

I ride motorcycles and it's often quoted in their mags with the "I didn't see the motorcyclist when I ran over him/her and killed them" as a very common narrative too. There have been a few videos off some bike's cameras where they deliberately try and run them off the road too. LA has the lane splitting bikers, which is legal in CA, yet people still open doors, lane check them, etc.

I've wondered if the P4 didn't have a camera, say a false smooth underbelly, if people would still go nuts about them flying around and filming their nekkid whatevers? "But officer, my drone has no camera and I'm just practicing my flying or Litchi program!" Then what?
some people would just find something else to complain about

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan