How many hours can record?

You might be getting the gimbal to hot if your not flying.

Rod

Non-stop? One clip can only be 4GB. Otherwise, as long as the battery stays charged.

So, now I know why on my first flight, I had a interruption of the video & then got a 2nd video continuing onwards. A 4 Gig limit is kind of small, My dash-cam/GPS does 10 Gig increments,
With the same size SD card. of 64 Gig. I never saw this limit in the specs of this product.

Now I know why they have a editor to paste together film clips.

Thanks for the information, & I gave you a like in this subject!

Kurt

So, now I know why on my first flight, I had a interruption of the video & then got a 2nd video continuing onwards. A 4 Gig limit is kind of small, My dash-cam/GPS does 10 Gig increments,
With the same size SD card. of 64 Gig. I never saw this limit in the specs of this product.

Now I know why they have a editor to paste together film clips.
4GB is a FAT (format) limit. Anything formatted FAT would have the same limit.

You see a lot of editing and small clips because a long 10 minute single clip would very boring.

Correct.... exFAT doesnt.
Ok, for clarity.
Does the DJI app, by default format as exFAT?
And the Phantom would be able to write (record a video clip) as large as the size of the SD card?

Rod

I wouldn't. You probably won't either when you realise how hot the drone gets around the VPS unit gets.
Does he have a VPS unit?,
Anyways the electronics keep there cool from the airflow from the props, leave powered up for maybe 5 mins, no props running and feel how hot the gimbal gets.

Rod

Does he have a VPS unit?,
Anyways the electronics keep there cool from the airflow from the props, leave powered up for maybe 5 mins, no props running and feel how hot the gimbal gets.

Rod
4K has VPS, standard Im not sure. I must confess my commentary related to the pro. I know mine gets too hot for my comfort powered on and not flying. Even has a nice hot electronics smell to go with it.

Reactions: RodPad
Standard does not, so about my question on #10

Rod

Format in phantom with GO app is FAT32 on smaller cards, my 64gig cards get formatted as exFAT. I don't know at what point GO determines exFAT format, only that the 8gig card supplied with the bird formats as FAT32 and 64s exFAT.

It is well known exFAT does not have the 4gig max file size limit. Whether the phantom still splits files I don't know. At a guess I would say the longest single take I have ever recorded would be 3 or 4 minutes max. Makes editing easier and saves a lot of space on my drives.

4GB is a FAT (format) limit. Anything formatted FAT would have the same limit.

You see a lot of editing and small clips because a long 10 minute single clip would very boring.

My 64 Gig card is formatted exFat @ 128Kb per sector not 32Kb per sector with the old FAT.
So if it is still limited to 4 Gig, then this is probably a firmware limit by DJI.

PS

I forgot to say I was in 4K mode, which didn't work out for me to view it, as my computer can't do 4K.

Last edited:
Format in phantom with GO app is FAT32 on smaller cards, my 64gig cards get formatted as exFAT. I don't know at what point GO determines exFAT format, only that the 8gig card supplied with the bird formats as FAT32 and 64s exFAT.

It is well known exFAT does not have the 4gig max file size limit. Whether the phantom still splits files I don't know. At a guess I would say the longest single take I have ever recorded would be 3 or 4 minutes max. Makes editing easier and saves a lot of space on my drives.

Thanks. now understand what I ran into. I bought a 64 gig card, phantom could use, my computers couldn't, even connected with USB to the Phantom. I have Jetson's aircraft, and a Flintstone's computer.

jetsonflintstone.jpg

Rod

I ran into this problem with my Garmin GPSR which is a Nuvi LMTHD that has a dash-Cam in it. It will accept a 64 Gig card for the camera which is formatted at ex-fat 128K per sector, but the extra memory card which is a 32 gig card will not be accepted unless it is formatted as a Fat32 at 16 KB per sector.

So... You have to look at the specs. of each device you are using these cards on, they are not all the same. That 32 Gig card could have easily been formatted to a bigger sector format, but the device would not like it.

So, try some different formats, & see if you can solve your problem. Also, why are you using the "USB" connection to transfer your camera files? I use a Micro card to USB device to do this. Another thing, unless you have a 4K screen on your computer, the video will be a blocky video! Meaning it will stutter because you display doesn't have the resolution that is required to see said video, I know because I tried it!

Kurt

P.S.

Go to my YouTube page to see some of the minor things I put on there, you can find me by searching for my user name, which is: iflyhelis

I had a bucket list before I die (I am almost 70 as of 1/31/2017) I have flown RC aircraft/Helicopters since 1996 & I wanted to really see if all those years of experience would correlate to flying a real helicopter.

It did! My instructor was impressed as to how I was able to keep control! I did it a 2nd time in a more advanced machine, & did very well. So the video is up there for anyone to watch!

Kurt

Thanks. now understand what I ran into. I bought a 64 gig card, phantom could use, my computers couldn't, even connected with USB to the Phantom. I have Jetson's aircraft, and a Flintstone's computer.

View attachment 63377

Rod

I ran into this problem with my Garmin GPSR which is a Nuvi LMTHD that has a dash-Cam in it. It will accept a 64 Gig card for the camera which is formatted at ex-fat 128K per sector, but the extra memory card which is a 32 gig card will not be accepted unless it is formatted as a Fat32 at 16 KB per sector.

So... You have to look at the specs. of each device you are using these cards on, they are not all the same. That 32 Gig card could have easily been formatted to a bigger sector format, but the device would not like it.

So, try some different formats, & see if you can solve your problem. Also, why are you using the "USB" connection to transfer your camera files? I use a Micro card to USB device to do this. Another thing, unless you have a 4K screen on your computer, the video will be a blocky video! Meaning it will stutter because you display doesn't have the resolution that is required to see said video, I know because I tried it!

Kurt

P.S.

Go to my YouTube page to see some of the minor things I put on there, you can find me by searching for my user name, which is: iflyhelis

I had a bucket list before I die (I am almost 70 as of 1/31/2017) I have flown RC aircraft/Helicopters since 1996 & I wanted to really see if all those years of experience would correlate to flying a real helicopter.

It did! My instructor was impressed as to how I was able to keep control! I did it a 2nd time in a more advanced machine, & did very well. So the video is up there for anyone to watch!

Kurt

I can download most of flights through the USB cable in about 2 mins or less. I just use the large card, if out for the day. I hate messing with that tiny card. I formatted the large card, so the computer could use it, but the Phantom would not.

My only computer that actually play the videos is my work computer.
I copy the SD card files to a computer in my garage, it then syncs to my work computer. 15 mins away drive time, well anyways when I get to work, they are there, will here at the moment.

Rod

I will take a look at you vids, I will pass those to my dad, he has a pilots license.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31