Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

How many have used plast-aid for crack repair or reinforcement

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by Ajginger, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Ajginger

Just wondering to date how many have used plast-aid.
    It seeams like a good product for repair or reinforcement, even to reinforce around the gimble area.

2. Oso

Oso

I haven't used it personally, but I have read many times here on the forum that people love that stuff.

3. Prowler

Never heard of it but it looks interesting. Looks like something a 3d printer would use as resin

4. dirtybum

Is crack still a problem, i thought it went out in 2015

5. Ajginger

Nope, the top shell on the advanced is cracking. Spoke to a phantom dealer hear in Australia and he said they are getting a lot with cracks.

6. dirtybum

O.k. So crack is a hugh problem in Australia!

No rabies though

7. Ajginger

Haha, nope, no rabies, just crack, lots of crack.

8. Ajginger

The plast-aid I ordered arrived today.
    I used it to fix a crack in the top shell that turned up only a few flights
    from new.
    Man, this stuff is strong. I think you could easily fix a broken gimble yaw arm with it if you were desperate to get flying again.

9. Meist21

I just used the stuff two nights ago on a bracket that was made from a 3-D printer and this stuff is crazy strong. I could not get it to flex at the crack I mended. Plus I was able to trim excess off of the crack after it dried with a blade. Glad I ordered the stuff.

10. PTCX

G'day Ajginger,I'm having trouble finding this anywhere in Aus and the only US sellers I find don't ship to Aus,where did you order yours from?

11. Ajginger

12. PTCX

Thanks for the link mate.
    I'm in Newcastle,the avitar is a shot from the French Line in the Simpson Desert.

13. Ajginger

Great stuff.
    I havn't been across the simpson yet, but lived at Alice Springs for a couple of years. Can't wait to take the Phantom out there, so many great spots to film.

14. PTCX

There sure are a lot of places out there that are fantastic subjects for aerial photography but when I went to the desert the wind was blowing to hard to get steady footage a lot of the time because it's so flat out there.
    Take a look at my Vimeo channel,Ive got a couple of good vids of my trip posted there,link in signiture below.
    More to come when I get around to it.

15. alirz

For those who might have used plast aid to reinforce the arms . You think it's possible that I could simply unscrew the motor, lift it up and somehow pour in plast aid using some sort of syringe carefully around the screws area? I would prefer not to open up the shell.

#15 alirz, Apr 3, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  16. Raceman17

You possibly could get the motor out but the wires are not too long to swing it out of the way I'm afraid. You can mix to a thin consistency but you would need a good size syringe to be able to flow well. You only have about 2 mins before the stuff would get too thick to put through the syringe. I would not try it. Removing the upper shell is really easy. Just watch a few YOUTUBE videos and do the job correctly. The Plast-aid product really is some bad *** stuff and works great. While you have it opened up you should just put the stuff where are the cracks are. I had a new advanced with the new shell and after 28 days I had a Crack on the upper shell by the motor.

17. alirz

Thanks ill see what i can do. My p3 is relatively new...still under warranty. So i might do this after the warranty has expired which is still 6 months away...i was just thinking of being proactive.
    i guess applying plast aid would void the warranty

18. Raceman17

What I did was send my advanced back to Amazon for a refund. I purchased the 799 eBay professional deal and bought a new shell that I could reinforce. I flew the professional one time to make sure everything was good then swapped everything over to the new reinforced shell. If I have any major issues that need to be covered under warranty then I'll just swap the guts back out. It's really not that difficult to do.

19. alirz

Sounds like a plan ! thanks.